Ackerman - BE - TV Contracts, Expansion, Gonzaga - Oct 2021

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Husky_U » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:15 pm

ArmyVet wrote:True, but you are focusing on the wrong part :lol:

Here is how the meeting will go:
Val - "I think we should add Gonzaga. How can we make this happen?"
Presidents - "This is going to take some work."

Val to FOX - What can you do to make this work?
FOX to Val - Increased payouts and travel subsidies.
Everyone - Deal.
Husky_U

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ackerman - on Big East TV contracts and expansion

Postby kayako » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:33 pm

Bogg wrote:So we're really doing this Gonzaga thing, huh?

At least one thing is certain; Val doesn't care about the double round-robin.

Also 12 > 11 for the BET.
supernova
kayako

Postby Jet915 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:39 pm

If FOX is willing to increase the school payout say 3 million or so with the addition of UCONN AND Gonzaga, I say go for it.
Jet915

Postby Xudash » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:01 pm

Jet915 wrote:If FOX is willing to increase the school payout say 3 million or so with the addition of UCONN AND Gonzaga, I say go for it.

Kind of exactly what I was thinking, based upon comments made earlier about where the new contract could go.

Imagine us with a payout per school of not less than $7 million per year for a new 10 year term. It just seems as though that would breed strength and sustainability for all of us during a very critical and transitional period for media technology, not to mention changes with collegiate athletics and in higher education.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:12 pm

Fox college hoops inventory would be improved with teams over multiple times zones. Double and triple headers become easier. Throw in some UConn women’s hoops too. I’m in.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:22 pm

For the past several years, I have continually argued that Gonzaga is not a serious or legitimate candidate for BE expansion due to location. I never thought of it as more than just a pipe dream.

However, something has changed in recent weeks that has amended my original prediction. Due to other moves, it is a much more possible scenario than I ever could have realized.

It is by no means a guarantee, but there are forces pushing for this to happen. As with everything, if the money makes sense, the details find a way.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Django » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:43 pm

No worries. Over the next few years Creighton will put a beat down on the Zags in the FF. No need for expansion. Fox triples the payout after Villanova and Creighton both get NCs before ‘25.

You’re welcome.
Django

Postby Xudash » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:59 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:For the past several years, I have continually argued that Gonzaga is not a serious or legitimate candidate for BE expansion due to location. I never thought of it as more than just a pipe dream.

However, something has changed in recent weeks that has amended my original prediction. Due to other moves, it is a much more possible scenario than I ever could have realized.

It is by no means a guarantee, but there are forces pushing for this to happen. As with everything, if the money makes sense, the details find a way.

Boom! Mic drop (for you).
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Husky_U » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:31 pm

Worth noting that the same reporter, Dana O'Neil, just did an access piece with Gonzaga. Based on this & some other tidbits...

Husky_U

Postby butlerguy03 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:52 pm

Gonzaga is likely the school on top of mind, but don’t discount Notre Dame. The ACC’s brief return to football glory has quickly dimmed. The ACC is going to keep pushing Notre Dame to be a full member. If the rumored Big East/Big Ten alliance had any teeth, Notre Dame joining the Big East could help the Irish align with the Big Ten in football (finally!) without actually joining. If FOX is interested in Notre Dame football rights in 2025, could they try to broker this as a first move?
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board