2018 Season - Non-BE Games Of Interest...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2018 Season - Non-BE Games Of Interest...

Postby kayako » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:26 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:Would be sorta funny if Davidson just stole Bonnies bid.

lol

or if URI losing cost ASU bid

or if Syracuse is the first team out 2 years in a row due to URI
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:45 pm

novahoops11 wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:Would love to see the AAC tourney attendance figures. Too funny.

Embargoed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_American_Athletic_Conference_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament

I saw a box score for one of the games somewhere that claimed 7 or 8 thousand, which is ridiculously inflated.

Amazing! I went to individual teams’ websites and found the attendance line blank there as well. Who sanitizes there attendance info? What an embarrassment. :roll:
Bill Marsh

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:21 pm

With Creighton AD Bruce Rasmussen serving as committee chairman, lots of Nebraska fans felt like they got slighted even though virtually no bracket expert thought they would even be considered for an at large. Crazy husker fans are relentless. So how effing funny that not only did they not get an NCAA bid but they got a 5 seed in the NIT. Priceless.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby jaxalum » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:32 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
novahoops11 wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:Would love to see the AAC tourney attendance figures. Too funny.

Embargoed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_American_Athletic_Conference_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament

I saw a box score for one of the games somewhere that claimed 7 or 8 thousand, which is ridiculously inflated.

Amazing! I went to individual teams’ websites and found the attendance line blank there as well. Who sanitizes there attendance info? What an embarrassment. :roll:

For the love of God, that's embarrassing, and blatant, fraudulent reporting by the AAC. And they will hide behind the "paid attendance" rebuttal. From those pics, I'm guessing conservatively, 1,500-2,000 paying customers (not including anyone associated to the team).

The Big East Tournament's stats;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Big_East_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament

MSG has a capacity of 19,812. According to those Wiki stats, the night quarterfinals, both semifinals, and the championship sessions all sold out. I don't know how accurate these stats are, or what they are based on (paid customers, customers in seats), but I would be interested to hear what people who were actually there have to say. (Total; 5 SESSIONS/ approximately 93,000 total/ averaging 18,600 per session)

The Big 10 Tournament's numbers;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Big_Ten_Conference_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament

(TOTAL; 7 SESSIONS/ approximately 106,000 total/ averaging 15,000 per session)

I'm biased, but those are impressive numbers for the Big East. Bringing in the Big Ten to MSG established a benchmark of sorts. Our session average was approximately 3,600 higher, and if we had the same amount of sessions (5 to their 7), we would have a total of 130,200 to their 106,000. I can only imagine those figures will climb when certain "old guard" Big East teams start to flourish....can you imagine St John's in the final?
Xavier
jaxalum

Postby Xudash » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:11 am

Another reason why expansion isn't important right now: we don't have an attendance issue at MSG for our conference tournament.

That isn't even an appropriate way to put it, as our conference tournament clearly is a major strength for the Big East.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby ecasadoSBU » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 am

jaxalum wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
novahoops11 wrote:

For the love of God, that's embarrassing, and blatant, fraudulent reporting by the AAC. And they will hide behind the "paid attendance" rebuttal. From those pics, I'm guessing conservatively, 1,500-2,000 paying customers (not including anyone associated to the team).

The Big East Tournament's stats;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Big_East_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament

MSG has a capacity of 19,812. According to those Wiki stats, the night quarterfinals, both semifinals, and the championship sessions all sold out. I don't know how accurate these stats are, or what they are based on (paid customers, customers in seats), but I would be interested to hear what people who were actually there have to say. (Total; 5 SESSIONS/ approximately 93,000 total/ averaging 18,600 per session)

The Big 10 Tournament's numbers;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Big_Ten_Conference_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament

(TOTAL; 7 SESSIONS/ approximately 106,000 total/ averaging 15,000 per session)

I'm biased, but those are impressive numbers for the Big East. Bringing in the Big Ten to MSG established a benchmark of sorts. Our session average was approximately 3,600 higher, and if we had the same amount of sessions (5 to their 7), we would have a total of 130,200 to their 106,000. I can only imagine those figures will climb when certain "old guard" Big East teams start to flourish....can you imagine St John's in the final?

I was there for 1st Rd and the night QF. I can attest that those figures appear to be honest. The 1st Rd was well attended by the SJU contingent.

The night QF was even more well attended than the 1st Rd so I immediately knew it was a sellout. Obviously not everyone is on their seats at the same time. Some people arrive for the second game. Others leave after the 1st game. But you can still get a sense that it was a complete attendance success.

This shouldn't surprise anyone. This is how the Big East rolls and it's good to return to healthy pre-2013 attendance levels. I think New Yorker's were doubtful the first couple of years, but returned once they realize the league hasn't lost a beat. A healthy attendance is good resume building for the 2026 lease extension :)

Go BIG EAST!
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:11 pm

The brunt of BE poking fun and directing ire should be with the B1G and ACC. They are the ones who covet NYC, covet the MSG, and our control of the NE. They are the 2 conferences encroaching on our territory. Let's target the 2 main threats to our conference and leave the little conferences alone. Neither the A10 nor the AAC are a threat to the BE.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Toronto Rapture » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:59 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:The brunt of BE poking fun and directing ire should be with the B1G and ACC. They are the ones who covet NYC, covet the MSG, and our control of the NE. They are the 2 conferences encroaching on our territory. Let's target the 2 main threats to our conference and leave the little conferences alone. Neither the A10 nor the AAC are a threat to the BE.

I hope the BET at MSG remains the premier conference tournament, and if this past weekend is indication, it is in very good shape to continue doing so.

I don't know how realistic it would be for those other conferences to hold their respective tournaments in the NY area every year (or if they would even want to), but when they do, hopefully it is infrequently and somewhere else besides MSG. I think it is understandable why they covet NY though.

I do wonder if when the Islanders new arena is built if there will be a time when there will be 3 conference tournaments simultaneously in the NY area. :?
"...Bull doggin'...like them Georgetown Hoyas..." Big Boi from Outkast
Toronto Rapture

Postby Xudash » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Go Bonnie's!

Up 4 under a half minute left. They really want it, and UCLA is poorly coached.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:22 pm

Xudash wrote:Go Bonnie's!

Up 4 under a half minute left. They really want it, and UCLA is poorly coached.

That’s just what I was thinking. Those UCLA players everything you don’t want players to do in that final minute or 2. With their talent, it shouldn’t have come down to this. But it did because earlier in the game, the UCLA players couldn't handle the zone. They looked like they’d never seen one before, and Alford had no answers for them. Bad coaching job all the way around by Steve Alford.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board