When does the real smack begin

The home for Big East hoops

Re: When does the real smack begin

Postby taa71458 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:51 pm

Xudash wrote: What I can't see at this point is Creighton having many flamethrowers pointed in its direction. Same with DePaul for a while, but for different reasons.

God I hate you people for being too damn nice...concession workers giving me a free beer at Cintas, owner of Dana's making sure we were taken care of, students taking shots with us prior to the game..convinced its all a trap and you built up so many karma points there was no way Creighton was going to win at Xavier. Bunch of dirty cheaters gaming the system. Literally everyone I met there was so nice and I hate it!
taa71458

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby xu1990 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Sorry about the nice Cincinnati folks. If you don't have a good time at Dana's you just aren't trying. BJ, the owner,is great. We will try to be more rude in years to come.
xu1990

Postby Bulldog_Muskie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:01 pm

Cincinnati is nice until you remember that its the STD capital of Ohio and the bed bug capital of the US.
Butler University '13
Xavier University '15
Bulldog_Muskie

Postby notkirkcameron » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:31 pm

xu1990 wrote:The problem with hating Creighton is that everybody in Omaha is so damn nice and wanting you to have a good time, they're very difficult to dislike. Same thing to a lesser extent around the Midwest.

X and Butler have a nice little rivalry formed over the last 10 years or so but I actually think X v Marquette is going to be the slugfest I enjoy seeing develop over the next decade. So screw those cheese eaters in Milwaukee!! (although again, damn it, it's hard to dislike Buzz)

A few years ago, some UConn fan posted what the Big East schools would be if they were Simpsons characters. Marquette came out as Ned Flanders.

"Marquette fans are nice. Too nice. Oppressively, sickeningly, unbearably nice. Seriously, go to a game in Milwaukee, you'll never feel more welcomed or at home. It's disgusting. Even when they're mocking you they do it in a wholesome "everyone have a chuckle" sort of way. I have nothing bad to say about them. Gah.
Relevant Quote: "Gosh darn it! Am I that pre-diddly-ictable?"

The rest of the list (including some of our dearly departed America 12) can be found here, but for ease of reading, the members who survived the realignment are listed below. I'll also give the new members a shot.

DePaul (Bumblebee Man): DePaul fans are the ultimate embodiment of the Bumblebee Man. They're always around, excitable and enthusiastic, but at the end of the day they just look silly, they're ultimately superfluous and they're afflicted with a deep inner sadness. So much hope, so little reason.
Relevant Quote: "¡Ay, ay, ay, no es bueno!"

Providence (Ralph Wiggum): John Marinatto is a Providence fan.
Relevant Quote: Miss Hoover: Now put paste on your paper. Ralph, are you eating your paste?
Ralph Wiggum: (Gluestick poking out of his mouth) No, Miss. Hoover.

Villanova (Lenny/Carl with Pitt): As far as I can tell the only difference between Villanova and Pittsburgh is that Villanova's lifelong goal is to field a team made up entirely out of guards while Pittsburgh only wants to start five power forwards at the same time. Both fanbases have had their share of good times and their teams have lots of potential (just like Lenny and Carl are established citizens of Springfield with good jobs at a nuclear power plant) and both have seen that potential blown year after year (just like Lenny and Carl are ultimately losers who just hang out at Moes). The two programs have combined for one Final Four since the establishment of the [2005-2013-era] Big East, which I can only assume occurred because it was impossible for both teams to lose painfully when they met in the 2009 Elite Eight.
Relevant Quote: Lenny: "Remember when we used to kiss like that . . . with our respective girlfriends?"

St. John's (Grandpa Simpson): If anyone was ever going to tell you a story about the NCAA tournament being held at Madison Square Garden with tickets costing five bees (there were bees on the nickel at the time, give me five bees for a quarter you'd say), it'd be leading St. John's fan and noted college basketball expert Mike Francesa. Also, Grandpa Simpson strikes me as someone who'd be really excited about using the term "redmen." I'll just note here that the other character under consideration was Maggie Simpson, because she lives in a house (MSG) but everyone else does whatever they want in there.
Relevant Quote: "I'm cold and there are wolves after me."

^ I can't agree with this one enough. Honestly, some of you guys should get your mail forwarded to the past; you spend so much time living there.

Seton Hall (Dr. Nick Riviera): It'd be nice if, just once, things could work out for Seton Hall fans, if only so they wouldn't have to keep dealing with increasingly crazy attempts to turn their program around. Can you believe the Bobby Gonzalez era was a real thing at a major program? And then, just when things start to look good and it seems they've got a real professional to fix their program (you know, like a doctor), Kevin Willard turns out to be just as insane ("I'm the only coach in the country with white guys who can't shoot.") and prone to meltdowns. No wonder things seem grim.
Relevant quote: "Inflammable means flammable? What a country."

Georgetown (Martin Prince): Georgetown is a very good school and very intelligent people go there, but nothing defines a Georgetown fan like their pathological need to tell you that Georgetown is a very good school and they went there because they are an intelligent person. Georgetown fans know they're smarter than you and they don't want you to forget it. They're also probably upset I said they were Martin and not Lisa Simpson, but you always need to leave Georgetown fans with something to aspire to. Remember how fast Syracuse and Pittsburgh bailed on the Big East when the ACC had openings? Well that's nothing compared to how quickly Georgetown would submit its application to the Ivy League if Dartmouth suddenly decided to give up athletics. You're smart Georgetown, but you're still not the smartest. Sorry.
Relevant Quote: Martin: "Care to make it a trio, Bart? You can brush and I can blow."
Bart: "Well, I agree you blow."
Martin: "Then it's a plan!"
Bart: "A lot of people blow, but no one blows like you."
Martin: "High praise indeed!"
Bart: "When you look up "blow" in the dictionary--"
Lisa: "Bart, he's not gonna get it."
Bart: "Fine."

I'll try to give a shot to round out the new members.

Creighton (Gil Gunderson): Creighton's program has certainly been around for a long time, and they've always managed to have some level of success, but they just can't seem to get over the hump into greatness. While that may change this year, for now they're the only team in the Big East to never get past the Sweet 16. Their fanbase seems to be made up of perfectly nice people, but even when things look great, you know Ol' Gil will find a way to have it all crash down at the most inopportune moment.
Relevant Quote: "Aw you should've seen me honey, I was in the zone! What? No, no, I didn't make a sale, but I was so close, I could feel it!"

Xavier (Sideshow Bob): No matter what happens, he just keeps coming back. Xavier, despite coaching changes, graduations, and 3 conference changes since the mid-90s just keeps coming back. They're always lurking in the tournament, occasionally dangerous, but the plans for domination just never seem to come to fruition.
Relevant Quote: "My young friends, for years I have been silent, save for the crude glissandos of this primitive wind instrument. (Holds up slide whistle.) But now, destiny has thrust me into the center ring. In the coming weeks, you will notice some rather sweeping changes in our program. Please do not be alarmed."

Butler (Dancin' Homer): Small-town dreams from the movie "Hoosiers" and big city lights made Butler the belle of the ball at the Big Dance. Two national championship game appearances in two years pushed them from the Horizon League to Madison Square Garden. But do they have the staying power?
Relevant Quote: Lisa: I can't leave Springfield! I was born here and I thought I would die here!
Homer: It won't be so bad. You'll die someplace else.
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Postby taa71458 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:26 pm

Alright this is good. And Creighton's is pretty damn funny.
taa71458

Postby taa71458 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:27 pm

xu1990 wrote:Sorry about the nice Cincinnati folks. If you don't have a good time at Dana's you just aren't trying. BJ, the owner,is great. We will try to be more rude in years to come.

You know what, I had a fantastic time at that bar.
taa71458

Postby aughnanure » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:47 pm

xu1990 wrote:The problem with hating Creighton is that everybody in Omaha is so damn nice and wanting you to have a good time, they're very difficult to dislike. Same thing to a lesser extent around the Midwest.

Marquette fans in Milwaukee would disagree
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby cu blujs » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:48 pm

aughnanure wrote:

Marquette fans in Milwaukee would disagree

yeah, well everyone knows why it is so windy in Chicago.
cu blujs

Postby NewYorkHoya » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:48 pm

Trash talking started by a Georgetown fan...I love it!!! Lets go Hoyas!!!

First post. Quick note...I am a life long Hoya fan that was born, raised, and still resides 25 miles west of Sorrycuse(apologize for cursing). I love the direction and future of the Big East. Couldn't be happier about the new additions this year of Xavier, Creighton, and Butler. We all want every team to be successful right now to boost the profile of our conference. But rivals are necessary.

On that note...I cannot stand Marquette and that annoying troll of a coach they have!! St. Johns blows! History shows why I say that. I will never forgive Villanova for 1985! I hate you!

Hoya Saxa!
NewYorkHoya

Postby handdownmandown » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:50 pm

The reason why WSU hates Creighton so much is because they go to a glorified high school that by law has to accept everyone from the state of Kansas that applies (Which applies to KU and KSU too but I digress). They call us sweater vesters and sCUm. The latter I actually like in a villanous sort of way, and the former, well, isn't this sort of the sweater vester conference? Let in VCU and/or WSU (which will never happen) and watch all the more intellectually challenged folk with chips on their shoulders drive everyone batshit crazy over here.

I used to love to hate GTown under the first Thompson but now that I'm grown and know his whole story, I've found I like the guy. I'm sure someone will really piss us off or something like the whole Kendall Marshall thing will happen and presto, there's an instant hate, but it hasn't happened yet.
handdownmandown

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board