Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:46 am

Hall2012 wrote:It wasn't their telecast, but a terrible night for Fox Sports/FS1.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/10/11/fox-sports-suffers-200-million-hangover-us-fails-qualify-world-cup/

Yea, this is awful lol. This was arguably their flagship event. Good job soccer players.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:26 am

DudeAnon wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:It wasn't their telecast, but a terrible night for Fox Sports/FS1.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/10/11/fox-sports-suffers-200-million-hangover-us-fails-qualify-world-cup/

Yea, this is awful lol. This was arguably their flagship event. Good job soccer players.

Yeah, this is bad for Fox, not only are the times gonna be bad cause its in Russia bit now no US team? Ratings will not be good.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:45 am

yeah the times are brutal. looking at them looks like most all are anywhere from 8am to 2pm. Anywhere from 7-9 hours time difference. Definitely not like last time in Brazil.

Also, this is more than just the '18 World Cup this hurts. Probably stunts the development of soccer in this country. Given Soccer has been such a huge part of the Fox piece, that's huge.

Fox desperately needs looking forward for the '19 Women's World Cup for the US to be good. That's in France, so times won' t be perfect, but still only what 5 hours behind- so 9pm games in Paris would equal 4pm games in the US. Not awful.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:15 am

nice troll job here:

Jay Onrait‏Verified account
@JayOnrait
This is what @FOXSports gets for cancelling our show.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:59 am

Monday 10-9-17
HOUSTON/BOSTON Game 4 on FS1 2,352M
CLEVELAND/NEW YORK YANKEES Game 4 on FS1 4,492 M
SPEAK FOR YOURSELF on FS1 469k
UNDISPUTED with Ship and Shannon on FS1 228k

The overnight for FS1 drew a 5.5 overnight rating last night's Yanks-Indians. Last year, FS1 drew 3.8 for Dodgers-Nats Game 5 (aired Thurs. against NFL)
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:22 am

MUPanther wrote:Monday 10-9-17
HOUSTON/BOSTON Game 4 on FS1 2,352M
CLEVELAND/NEW YORK YANKEES Game 4 on FS1 4,492 M
SPEAK FOR YOURSELF on FS1 469k

The overnight for FS1 drew a 5.5 overnight rating last night's Yanks-Indians. Last year, FS1 drew 3.8 for Dodgers-Nats Game 5 (aired Thurs. against NFL)

fox has had a real crazy week. great news with the Yankees winning. But then the US World Cup miss.

So FS1 gets game 1 on Friday. Fox gets game 2 on Saturday. Then you'd assume the rest on FS1. The MNF game this week is an absolute dog- Indianapolis/Tennessee(both with backup QB's likely).
stever20

Postby HoosierPal » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:55 am

Please tell me that Shannon Sharpe on longer has a job at Fox. After his ignorant anti-American rant against our flag "it's racist and just a piece of cloth" I assumed Fox would have done the right thing and sent him packing. I never watch that show - so I don't know.
HoosierPal

Postby adoraz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 am

Not having USA in the World Cup is no doubt horrible for Fox. It will be awful for their bottom line.

That said, at the risk of Stever turning this into a ten page debate, I don't think it'd impact Big East ratings. The World Cup takes place in June, which is as far removed from college basketball season as you can get. I'm skeptical as to whether having the USA in the WC (and likely eliminated in the first round) would lead to Big East viewership 5-9 months later. Again, I am not trying to downplay this sucking for Fox. I'm disappointed USA didn't make it. I just don't think it'll impact what we care about.

What is far more important is what you saw last night, with the Yankees winning game 5 in a market we are desperately trying to capture. This ensures the NYC market on FS1 from mid-late October, with the Big East season starting a couple weeks later. And even more important than that is having Big Ten basketball (and to a lesser extent, football) games on FS1 to get viewers in the habit of going there.

FS1 is getting pretty lucky with the MLB postseason, last year with the Cubs and this year with the Yankees. Obviously Astros aren't great aside from acting as the underdog, but Yankees are the team you want this/most years. When Yankees and Red Sox were down 2-0 it was looking like we'd have a disappointing ALCS.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:38 pm

HoosierPal wrote:

Please tell me that Shannon Sharpe on longer has a job at Fox. After his ignorant anti-American rant against our flag "it's racist and just a piece of cloth" I assumed Fox would have done the right thing and sent him packing. I never watch that show - so I don't know.

I have watched Undisputed since day 1, but the last few weeks it's been impossible to watch due to Shannon. He's become totally unbearable....

I do like watching the early show now with Nic Wright and Cris Carter.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:01 pm

adoraz wrote:Not having USA in the World Cup is no doubt horrible for Fox. It will be awful for their bottom line.

That said, at the risk of Stever turning this into a ten page debate, I don't think it'd impact Big East ratings. The World Cup takes place in June, which is as far removed from college basketball season as you can get. I'm skeptical as to whether having the USA in the WC (and likely eliminated in the first round) would lead to Big East viewership 5-9 months later. Again, I am not trying to downplay this sucking for Fox. I'm disappointed USA didn't make it. I just don't think it'll impact what we care about.

What is far more important is what you saw last night, with the Yankees winning game 5 in a market we are desperately trying to capture. This ensures the NYC market on FS1 from mid-late October, with the Big East season starting a couple weeks later. And even more important than that is having Big Ten basketball (and to a lesser extent, football) games on FS1 to get viewers in the habit of going there.

FS1 is getting pretty lucky with the MLB postseason, last year with the Cubs and this year with the Yankees. Obviously Astros aren't great aside from acting as the underdog, but Yankees are the team you want this/most years. When Yankees and Red Sox were down 2-0 it was looking like we'd have a disappointing ALCS.

What if I told you I pretty much agree 100% with you on the World Cup with regards to the Big East?

Where I disagree is the impact of the Yankees on Big East ratings. The reason is quite frankly- how many Big East ads will Fox run during the ALCS? Also, wouldn't say it ensures the NYC market on FS1 from mid-late October. The LCS will be over between Oct 17-21(depending on if it goes 4-7 games). Oct 21 isn't late October. The series could easily be over by October 18. And 1 of the games will be on Big Fox.

Also, Big Ten basketball I don't think will have the impact that you think. Casual fans are still going to trek to ESPN for most games. Big Ten fans will go where the games are. And the top Big Ten games are split between Fox, ESPN, and CBS.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board