Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 Update

Postby MUPanther » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:36 pm

Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:04 pm

stever20 wrote:
MUPanther wrote:
stever20 wrote:what will really help FS1 with their ratings is getting better games for FS1, not for other games to be on Fox. A lot of people just want to watch a good matchup and will go to some degree wherever it is. As long as FS1 has games like tomorrow's NIU/Nebraska game as the only FS1 game- FS1 isn't going to get great ratings. Next week FS1 gets UCF/Maryland, Baylor/Oklahoma, and Washington/Colorado(at 10pm). Only the last 1 is a good game- and it's really late.

Someone isn't going to flip to a worse game just because it's on a sister network. The matchups drive things. The Reason why ESPN dominates FS1 is that ESPN gets way better matchups. I mean look at next week. I gave you FS1's games. ESPN gets Arkansas/Texas A&M, Georgia/Miss St, UCLA/Stanford, and then either BC/Clemson, TCU/Oklahoma St, or USC/California. You can make the argument that all 4 ESPN games are better than any of the FS1's.
Couples things you are not seeing here. The past few years the FS1 games would have ended up on FOX. Now, you get a solid triple header to join the two big ones on FOX. Oklahoma turns the needle and is ranked #3 and has a very sexy match up in the late night with the rematch of last season's PAC 12 Title Game. Comparison with ESPN and FS1 really isn't fair when ESPN has tons more inventory of games.

Baylor/Oklahoma will be a dreadful game. A 56-0 type of game. Not the type of matchup that will move the needle at all. Esp since it'll be going up against 2 top 25 games just on ESPN (TCU/Oklahoma St at 330, Georgia/Miss St at 7). Not to mention the primetime games on Fox and ABC.

And your last point is the 100% statement of all time. Big Ten isn't adding a ton more inventory for FS1. Unless Fox can get 100% of Big Ten, Big 12, and or Pac 12- Fox will be fighting a losing battle vs ESPN. ESPN gets all of the ACC, all but 1 game of SEC, and then half of Big Ten, Pac 12, and Big 12. Not to mention the top games from the G5 conferences. What it seems has happened with the Big Ten going to Fox is that Fox has just added more windows for Big Fox for games. I mean in first 2 weeks 5 games vs 1. Then yesterday had 2 more games vs last year with only 1. So in first 3 weeks, Big Fox has had 7 games vs only 2 last year. So really don't think you can make the definitive statement that the quality of games for FS1 has gone up- that they are getting games that would have been on Big Fox last year. (oh and just looking it's 2 more next week vs last year with only 1). So in first 4 weeks it's 9-3 for games on Big Fox vs last year. It seems like an odd way to try to build up FS1.

I just don't think you can conclusively say that just because Big Fox has more games, that's going to automatically translate into better ratings for FS1. The games drive the ratings. If you have good games, you're going to have folks watch. If you have dog games, folks aren't going to watch.

Your sole purpose on these boards is to shit on Fox and the Big East. Congratulations.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:23 am

sorry that I don't think FS1 is doing all that well right now. I mean 2 weeks ago(the last week we have for total ratings)- FS1 was down whole day by 12% year to year. Since Horowitz left there's been no clear strategy at all with the network.

I think the network has some pieces that are really good. I really like the show with Nic Wright and Cris Carter. Even like watching a few minutes of Skip/Shannon. I probably watch FS1 a good 50% more than ESPN daytime(and that may be conservative).

I totally believe Fox made a huge mistake when thye started. Should have started it 2 years earlier when more sports rights were available. They just don't have enough live rights at this point. Until that changes, FS1 will continue to just flop around. Fox realy needs to get more programming.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:40 am

stever20 wrote:
MUPanther wrote:
stever20 wrote:what will really help FS1 with their ratings is getting better games for FS1, not for other games to be on Fox. A lot of people just want to watch a good matchup and will go to some degree wherever it is. As long as FS1 has games like tomorrow's NIU/Nebraska game as the only FS1 game- FS1 isn't going to get great ratings. Next week FS1 gets UCF/Maryland, Baylor/Oklahoma, and Washington/Colorado(at 10pm). Only the last 1 is a good game- and it's really late.

Someone isn't going to flip to a worse game just because it's on a sister network. The matchups drive things. The Reason why ESPN dominates FS1 is that ESPN gets way better matchups. I mean look at next week. I gave you FS1's games. ESPN gets Arkansas/Texas A&M, Georgia/Miss St, UCLA/Stanford, and then either BC/Clemson, TCU/Oklahoma St, or USC/California. You can make the argument that all 4 ESPN games are better than any of the FS1's.
Couples things you are not seeing here. The past few years the FS1 games would have ended up on FOX. Now, you get a solid triple header to join the two big ones on FOX. Oklahoma turns the needle and is ranked #3 and has a very sexy match up in the late night with the rematch of last season's PAC 12 Title Game. Comparison with ESPN and FS1 really isn't fair when ESPN has tons more inventory of games.

Baylor/Oklahoma will be a dreadful game. A 56-0 type of game. Not the type of matchup that will move the needle at all. Esp since it'll be going up against 2 top 25 games just on ESPN (TCU/Oklahoma St at 330, Georgia/Miss St at 7). Not to mention the primetime games on Fox and ABC.

:arrow: :arrow: Hey, I guess my statement of OU/ Baylor game did move the NEDDLE! 1,254M. Plus, it was a good game with Baylor leading late in the 2nd half. :lol:

Penn State/Iowa, ABC 5,259M
NC State/FSU or Texas Tech/Houston, ABC 3,749M
Michigan/Purdue, FOX 3,521M
Notre Dame/ Michigan State, FOX 3,456M
USC/Cal, ABC 3,122M
Alabama/Vandy, CBS 2,993M
Miss St/Georgia, ESPN 2,798M
Texas A&M/Arkansas, ESPN 2,611M
TCU/Okla State, ESPN 2,479M
UCLA/Stanford, ESPN 1,665M
Oklahoma/Baylor, FS1 1,254M
Syracuse/LSU, ESPN2 1,060M
Washington/Colorado, FS1 1,049M
Boston College/Clemson, ESPN2 816K
Hawaii/Wyoming, ESPN2 455K
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:04 am

wow Michigan Purdue beat Notre Dame Michigan St. As did Penn St/Iowa. Not what Fox expected choosing Notre Dame/Michigan St as their #1 selection.

Oklahoma/Baylor the #5 cable game of the day.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:08 am

saw something funny. The Biggest and most important game for Fox this year in baseball will be a game on ESPN. Otherwise known as the AL Wild Card game. Just a gigantic difference for Fox having either the Yankees or Twins in the playoffs. A year with Twins/Indians and Red Sox/Astros wouldn't be great. Swap it out with the Yankees, and it's a whole lot better. Not to mention the possibility of a Yankees/Red Sox LCS.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:34 pm

I think everyone knows that about the Yankees.
MUPanther

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:18 am

Watched Big East Shootaround yesterday and they had Rob Stone as a special guest. Steve Lavin came up and he was clearly breaking his balls a bit, but still it was interesting to hear and there's usually some truth behind it. He painted a picture of Lavin as being lazy, disorganized, and constantly late. Now again, I know he was ball breaking and Lavin the person is a very, very nice guy whom I've met before. But I'm talking about these traits attributed to him as our former coach. I can't remember all the quotes but he said Lavin shows up to work with a bag of random disorganized papers when preparing for broadcasts. He said he doesn't drive and only gets ubers, showing up late more than a few times. Basically, Stone made him seem "Hollywood" like he was an actor rather than a coach. This is relevant because I'm sure this rolled over at least somewhat into his time coaching us. Mullin may not bring us back to national prominence, but I'm happier having him here than Lavin and it tells me we made the right choice. Mullin's reputation is the total opposite from what I hear and in a good way. Just really interesting.
MullinMayhem

Postby MUPanther » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:35 am

football picks for network in coming weeks................

Oct. 7th
12pm FOX: Iowa St. at Oklahoma
12pm FS1: Texas Tech at Kansas
12pm BTN Illinois at Iowa
3:30pm FS1: West Virginia at TCU
3:30pm BTN: Charleston Southern at Indiana
4pm FOX: Maryland at Ohio St
7pm FS1: Kansas St. at Texas
8pm FOX: Washington St. at Oregon
8pm BTN: Wisconsin at Nebraska
10:15pm FS1: Stanford at Utah

Oct. 14th
12PM Kansas at Iowa State- FSN
12PM Rutgers at Illinois-BTN
12PM TCU at Kansas State-FS1
3:30pm Purdue at Wisconsin-BTN
3:30pm Baylor at Oklahoma State- FS1
7:30PM Ohio State at Nebraska-FS1
8pm Michigan State at Minnesota-BTN
11PM Oregon at Stanford-FS1
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:40 am

MUPanther

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board