Newcomer Impact

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Newcomer Impact

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Bossi's Best: Remember Me? Ten Highly-ranked Transfers - Eric Bossi, National Analyst, Rivals.com - September 13, 2017 (free article)
JUSTIN SIMON, ST. JOHN'S

Shooting guard, Brewster Academy, Wolfeboro, NH
6'5", 185 lbs., Class of 2015
SIGNED LOI - ARIZONA
NATIONAL RANK - # 24

As a high-schooler: Simon was the definition of a utility guard during high school. He played all three perimeter positions, had an all-around game and could be used as a lockdown defender.

At Arizona: Averaged 2.3 points and 1.2 rebounds per game as a freshman.

Expectations: Look for a much more confident and physically tough version of Simon at St. John's. If he's improved his jump shooting, he could be a big producer on offense but there's not much question he should help defensively. He and another former Rivals150 transfer, forward Marvin Clark from Michigan State, should play big roles.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KALEB JOSEPH, CREIGHTON

Point guard, Cushing Academy, Ashburnham, MA
6'2", 180 lbs., Class of 2014
VERBAL COMMIT - SYRACUSE
NATIONAL RANK - # 46

As a high-schooler: Joseph impressed as a big and physical point guard who got others involved and defended at a high level. What made him a top 50 player was he could play as a two-guard and provide offense as a slasher.

At Syracuse: Averaged 5.9 points, 2.2 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game as a freshman in 2014-15.

Expectations: More than likely Joseph will start and if he can regain his form from his freshman season - which was encouraging before a poor sophomore campaign - then he would be a key part of turning Creighton into an NCAA Tournament threat.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Nice list Gumby. Have always liked Simon, sad he bought the PAC 12 hype. Should be good for the Johnnies if he has regained his confidence. Playing for a Miller brother can really screw up kids.

I'm gonna go with big Manny Suarez -CU. Not much in the way of roadblocks-other than coach Mac. 5th year guy, with experience, NY savvy, big body, and the carrot of a Euro paycheck in April 2018. He plays above his history and projections, giving the Jays solid post play with rebounding & a few blocks. ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby BEhomer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am

Kerem Kanter for Xavier. not the most athletic big but very skilled on offense with a nice footwork. He'll be fun to watch.
BEhomer

Postby BEXU » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:55 am

Scruggs will play a lot for X. Mack loves good defensive players. He can move him around the floor.
BEXU

Postby cu blujs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:15 am

IMO, Joseph's value to Creighton is going to swing on what he does defensively. CU will have good firepower. On the offensive end, he just needs to get the ball to guys in places to score and hit the outside jumper good enough that his defender can't sag off to clog up the inside. I don't think he has to be the one putting up 10 plus shots a game like Watson. But, he must be able to stop opposing PGs from getting into the lane while also defending on the perimeter. If he does that well, then his defense will more than offset any dip in scoring at the PG spot from last year.
cu blujs

Postby JohnW22 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:56 am

I'm not very high on Kanter and I'm one who's typically high on all transfers. He played 19 minutes a game for Green Bay and is very slow. I worry how he handles his own in the Big East. The good thing is he should be the 3rd option at the 5 spot.
XU
JohnW22

Postby BEhomer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:04 am

JohnW22 wrote:I'm not very high on Kanter and I'm one who's typically high on all transfers. He played 19 minutes a game for Green Bay and is very slow. I worry how he handles his own in the Big East. The good thing is he should be the 3rd option at the 5 spot.

I can see his defense limiting his min. I think I saw somewhere that's the reason he didn't get much playing time in Green Bay. On offense, however, I see a guy who's very savvy around the basket. also has range out to 3 pt line (don't know about %). BigEast doesn't have alot of shot blockers so he will be fine. I will take slow skilled guys over athletic bigs with no ball skills anyday in college. (pros might be a different story)
BEhomer

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:12 pm

BEhomer wrote:
JohnW22 wrote:I'm not very high on Kanter and I'm one who's typically high on all transfers. He played 19 minutes a game for Green Bay and is very slow. I worry how he handles his own in the Big East. The good thing is he should be the 3rd option at the 5 spot.

I can see his defense limiting his min. I think I saw somewhere that's the reason he didn't get much playing time in Green Bay. On offense, however, I see a guy who's very savvy around the basket. also has range out to 3 pt line (don't know about %). BigEast doesn't have alot of shot blockers so he will be fine. I will take slow skilled guys over athletic bigs with no ball skills anyday in college. (pros might be a different story)

Agree on the D limiting mins. It's sort of like a RB who you can't catch the ball out of the backfield or block in pass protection. When he's on the field your entire playbook is limted. Does Mack change what he wants to do in order to mask his defensive deficiencies? Is he forced to go zone only when he is in the game?

Not sure I agree with the last part of your post. The problem is that the game has changed. Bigs need to be athletic in order to be able to guard on the perimeter as needed, even in college. So IMO guys like Kanter who don't / can't commit defensively (as you mention...I've never seen him play), and are not options 1, 2 or 3 offensively (thinking that is not the case at X with Trevon, JP and Scruggs) might be more of a liability than an asset. And offensively few teams play through the post. If he is a good shooter who can extend the floor and open things up for the strength of the X team (wings), then great. If he just occupies space because of size, and doesn't contribute to the floor spreading, I am not sure that compliments the other guys you have on the roster. A guy like Scruggs, who by all accounts is a beast on both sides of the floor will fit right in and make big impact. Baldwin at Butler last year comes to mind. Plodding bigs with or without ball skills struggle more to blend. Dylan Painter at Nova comes to mind.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby BEhomer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Painter has no where near the footwork and low post moves that Kanter has. not a knock on Painter as he was just a freshman. Kanter is a graduate transfer if I'm not mistaken. I don't want to hype him up too much. he's not going to dominate with size or athleticism. but he has a very polished low post moves that you don't see often in college games. I would compare him more to Stainbrook and Chrabascz.
BEhomer

Postby BEXU » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:21 pm

Naji Marshall - gonna be a star.
BEXU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board