(2) Tuesday Big East Games 1/10/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (2) Tuesday Big East Games 1/10/17

Postby Jet915 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:23 am

Westbrook#36 wrote:I think we're beginning to see there's is a clear separation between the top half and bottom half of the BE. BTW, where are the posters who were serving up crow sandwiches a few weeks ago about where the Friars were predicted to finish during the preseason???

Definitely see 5 bids right now, no more no less, Marquette, PC and Georgetown have alot of work to do to move up.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Westbrook#36 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:23 am

billyjack wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:I think we're beginning to see there's is a clear separation between the top half and bottom half of the BE. BTW, where are the posters who were serving up crow sandwiches a few weeks ago about where the Friars were predicted to finish during the preseason???

Yeah, i thought it was really bad karma a month ago when the "PC finishing 9th" debates were in high gear. Me, i specifically avoided those threads cuz the Friars were so young and young teams are inconsistent.

My points of defense for PC a couple of weeks ago were when someone on this site started making up numbers for Bullock, and dismissing solid wins vs UMass and whoever, and pointing to competitive losses at Ohio State and vs Virginia.

Tonight, in fairness to PC, Cartwright played great but had no lift due to his leg... plus he got chop blocked with about 8 minutes to go which banged his knee, made him basically immobile, and hurt his hand.

Lindsey didn't play at all with a bum wrist, which he had a cast on.

Drew Edwards (PG who made the inbounds to Bullock for winning shot vs USC in NCAA's) reinjured his knee in mid December and is supposedly out for the rest of the year.

So we had a 10 point lead the entire 2nd half. We stalled the ball once Cartwright's got dinged, to shorten the game, and DePaul made clutch plays. Our turnovers all game though were horrendous, just a ton of wasted possessions. Terrible unnecessary loss.

I know i'm making excuses, but those have been important factors recently.

Anyway, between this loss and the one at BC, these are 2 terrible demoralizing losses.

You're good billyjack, got no problem with you or 95% of PC fans/posters you guys are pretty chill, but there were a couple that were over the top a few weeks ago. Actually one isn't even a PC poster or even that bad, he was just serving up crow a bit prematurely it seems. Now the other one was being a straight up douche-nozzle, even when I was offering my own premature mea culpa.
Westbrook#36

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:33 am

Jet915 wrote:

Definitely see 5 bids right now, no more no less, Marquette, PC and Georgetown have alot of work to do to move up.

Seton Hall isn't by any stretch a lock. If they go 0-8 vs top 4, they are going to have to win out against the rest just about. That's why this week is so huge for Seton Hall. If you're Seton Hall, you don't want to have to really count on wins vs top 4 teams.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:54 am

Westbrook#36 wrote:
billyjack wrote:

Yeah, i thought it was really bad karma a month ago when the "PC finishing 9th" debates were in high gear. Me, i specifically avoided those threads cuz the Friars were so young and young teams are inconsistent.

My points of defense for PC a couple of weeks ago were when someone on this site started making up numbers for Bullock, and dismissing solid wins vs UMass and whoever, and pointing to competitive losses at Ohio State and vs Virginia.

Tonight, in fairness to PC, Cartwright played great but had no lift due to his leg... plus he got chop blocked with about 8 minutes to go which banged his knee, made him basically immobile, and hurt his hand.

Lindsey didn't play at all with a bum wrist, which he had a cast on.

Drew Edwards (PG who made the inbounds to Bullock for winning shot vs USC in NCAA's) reinjured his knee in mid December and is supposedly out for the rest of the year.

So we had a 10 point lead the entire 2nd half. We stalled the ball once Cartwright's got dinged, to shorten the game, and DePaul made clutch plays. Our turnovers all game though were horrendous, just a ton of wasted possessions. Terrible unnecessary loss.

I know i'm making excuses, but those have been important factors recently.

Anyway, between this loss and the one at BC, these are 2 terrible demoralizing losses.

You're good billyjack, got no problem with you or 95% of PC fans/posters you guys are pretty chill, but there were a couple that were over the top a few weeks ago. Actually one isn't even a PC poster or even that bad, he was just serving up crow a bit prematurely it seems. Now the other one was being a straight up douche-nozzle, even when I was offering my own premature mea culpa.

Lol, that's funny.

Hey, I considered as a joke tonight maybe going off on an St John's type rant with one giant paragraph and flipping out at the PC Athletic Department, but i was afraid some people might take it seriously.

:)
Providence
billyjack

Postby paulxu » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:35 am

Congrats to Nova. That was a butt stomping.
Hopefully we can return the favor.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:53 am

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

Seton Hall isn't by any stretch a lock. If they go 0-8 vs top 4, they are going to have to win out against the rest just about. That's why this week is so huge for Seton Hall. If you're Seton Hall, you don't want to have to really count on wins vs top 4 teams.

I think a reasonably intelligent basketball fan, if asked what they thought today, would state that Seton Hall will be in the NCAA tournament. I think a reasonably intelligent basketball fan would state that they believe the Big East will get 5 bids, with the opportunity for the schools mentioned to make a case the next two months.

So nothing that was stated would get a reasonably intelligent basketball fan's panties in a wad...
Savannah Jay

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:23 am

Savannah Jay wrote:
I think a reasonably intelligent basketball fan, if asked what they thought today, would state that Seton Hall will be in the NCAA tournament. I think a reasonably intelligent basketball fan would state that they believe the Big East will get 5 bids, with the opportunity for the schools mentioned to make a case the next two months.

So nothing that was stated would get a reasonably intelligent basketball fan's panties in a wad...

Seton Hall is in the Bracket Matrix with all the bracketology only the 9th team in the tourney. And beyond that only Marquette with 7 of 53 and PC with 2 of 53(before last night)

The problem with your statement is the conference doesn't get x teams guaranteed. It's the teams involved.
Seton Hall still needs 7 more wins. They still have 7 games left with the top 4 schools. If they lose all 7 of those, They would need to go 7-2 vs the others to make the tourney. It's really about 50/50 them doing that right now.
Marquette still needs 9 more wins. They still have 7 games left with the top 4 schools. So right now, they have to win one of those to have any shot.

If the top 4 teams dominate everyone else, everyone else has an extremely thin margin for error. And it's made worse if DePaul and St John's win some games vs those other 4. It's an interesting scenario for sure.
stever20

Postby kayako » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:29 am

I might be guilty of having been too optimistic about the Friars. But again, there's a ton of games left. It's going to be fun watching teams battle for that #5 (likely NCAA birth) and #6 (bubble) spots the rest of the way.
supernova
kayako

Postby JohnW22 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:32 am

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

While we're saying Seton Hall isn't a lock by any stretch might as well argue St. John's is in the mix for the tournament because they can go 4-0 in the Big East tournament.
XU
JohnW22

Postby pc5151 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 am

Reasonable and Intelligent are two qualities stever ignores. He is on here to find a negative in any post and argue about it in order to stir up the masses. He is the very definition of a gimmick.
pc5151

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board