Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby Xudash » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:36 pm

adoraz wrote:
sheg wrote:
So is the general consensus that Dayton has high revenue numbers because they own their own arena and play all their home games there? And that the numbers don't mean anything to the Big East?

I don't know what the methodology for determining net worth of the programs is. However, revenue has zero to do with who owns the venue. Revenue obviously equals (tickets x face value) + concession and parking revenue + tournament credits + media rights + miscellaneous. While attendance is easy to quantify, I can't imagine that things like concession revenue, parking revenue, seat licenses, donations, third tier media rights, shoe deals, licensing, and other ancillary streams are easy to quantify, especially from a private school.

As far "the numbers don't mean anything to the Big East?" probably not, other than "this program is financially sound." In other words, it's not a reason for inclusion - but it would be a reason for exclusion if a program was struggling financially.

If Dayton is ever invited to the Big East, it won't be because it makes pretty good revenue.

How does revenue have zero to do with who owns the venue? If all Dayton games are hosted at their own stadium, then they get all the revenue. Nearly all Big East schools play at NBA arenas for many games and need to split that revenue with the venue.

I'm not arguing for or against Dayton here. I'm just trying to figure out how their team value is so high.

The finance professor who cooked up the valuations probably went down a Stern Stewart-like valuation road.

It isn't about revenue technically; it's - keeping this very simple - about determining true free cash flow and taking that against a logical multiple.

Actually, if you think about it, the entire Big East is at a relative disadvantage at this point, given our newness and the need to build up NCAA Tournament Units money flows. And the C7 group watched a lot of that money go out the door in order to secure the Big East brand and MSG. Brilliant move, BTW.

There isn't one Big East program that operates at some form of "structural" disadvantage. Every program is in solid shape, and most have some serious performance elasticity going for them. Imagine St. John's and DePaul back to full potential.

If we go back to where most of us believe we are with all this, we have the luxury of staying at our existing 10 through continuing solid performance and a clear upward trajectory. We have the luxury of watching what happens with football and whether or not interesting, viable options shake loose from commotion in that space.
Last edited by Xudash on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheBlueTeam » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:39 pm

I want to add UCONN(I don't care if they are public). They are the ONLY team to consider in my opinion at this point assuming they can figure out football. As a fan of the BE I wish it to succeed. UCONN is the only school I would want as they are the only school who I think would add significant value. I not speaking about the just the money side, Their name, their brand, would bring so much more then any of the other considerations. If you take away all the alums of the possible expansion candidates and look at non partisan viewers watching college basketball, who are people more likely to watch (UCONN's fanbase itself is huge on its own and would be a boost regardless but I'm speaking towards getting other people to watch who have no school affiliation)? If another big TV contract is wanted, UCONN would go a long way in helping that. I believe UCONN would be consistently competitive in the league which will raise the overall quality of BE basketball. More so then the other options.

10 teams has been great for the first few years. If we can't get the best, why settle for less. Just stay at 10.
TheBlueTeam

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:06 am

Report: Big 12, Oklahoma, Texas At Odds On Which Teams To Add To League – 1 hour ago
Big 12 expansion is back in the news – though it doesn’t appear that the league has come to a decision on which schools it plans to invite to join the conference.

According to a report by Jason Williams of Cincinnati.com, however, there are three schools being thrown around as possible candidates.

According to Williams, BYU is the league’s first choice. But Texas, as we’ve seen, wants Houston. And Oklahoma reportedly wants Cincinnati in. So it’s possible that the league compromises with its two biggest programs – which means BYU would be out. Of course, this scenario only makes sense if the league adds two schools. If it adds four, it isn’t as big of an issue.

By adding 2 schools instead of 4, Big 12 doesn't crush TV partners financially.

With Texas and Oklahoma being the conference's two biggest programs, it appears the Big 12 may satisfy both interests by adding Houston and Cincinnati.

A number of other programs – including Memphis, East Carolina, UCF, USF, and SMU – have expressed interest in the league as well.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Barley » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:18 am

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:Report: Big 12, Oklahoma, Texas At Odds On Which Teams To Add To League – 1 hour ago
Big 12 expansion is back in the news – though it doesn’t appear that the league has come to a decision on which schools it plans to invite to join the conference.

According to a report by Jason Williams of Cincinnati.com, however, there are three schools being thrown around as possible candidates.

According to Williams, BYU is the league’s first choice. But Texas, as we’ve seen, wants Houston. And Oklahoma reportedly wants Cincinnati in. So it’s possible that the league compromises with its two biggest programs – which means BYU would be out. Of course, this scenario only makes sense if the league adds two schools. If it adds four, it isn’t as big of an issue.

By adding 2 schools instead of 4, Big 12 doesn't crush TV partners financially.

With Texas and Oklahoma being the conference's two biggest programs, it appears the Big 12 may satisfy both interests by adding Houston and Cincinnati.

A number of other programs – including Memphis, East Carolina, UCF, USF, and SMU – have expressed interest in the league as well.

But what about UCONN? :roll: :roll:
Barley

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:09 am

Barley wrote:
But what about UCONN? :roll: :roll:

The Big East is open to UConn's return, but it's a highly unlikely scenario
UConn could drop football (or move to the FCS) -- but why would they?

UConn isn't getting a lot of TV money currently and the state is in a ton of debt. Let's say they miss out on a Big 12 invite this time around. You could argue the football ship has sailed since the program isn't very competitive. So if they did drop it, or even went back to the FCS, then yes, they would be a perfect fit for the Big East.

Dropping football would be admitting failure, not exactly a common trait among politicians or collegiate administrators. It would also be giving up the Power 5 dream and all that money. And it would definitely piss off some influential boosters.

I just can't see it happening that way for the Huskies. And that means a Big East-UConn reunion probably isn't in the cards.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby NJRedman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:43 am

A UConn/VCU expansion would be good for the conference. That adds two fanbases who will help us sell out MSG.
NJRedman

Postby BEX » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:55 pm

We averaged 15,644 for 5 sessions/10 teams and the Big 10 averaged 16,722 for 7 sessions/14 teams.
BEX

Postby DeltaV » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:10 pm

NJRedman wrote:A UConn/VCU expansion would be good for the conference. That adds two fanbases who will help us sell out MSG.

If we were to open up to publics, I'd be in favor of this and moving further south.

It isn't my ideal situation, but I wouldn't be horribly opposed to it.

Interesting thought for this situation...restart Big East Football as a 1-AA conference. CAA has a number of football-only associates, some of them former Yankee conference members. Butler, Georgetown, Villanova, UConn, then add UMass, Richmond, URI, and maybe some combination of SUNY Stony, Albany, Maine.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:36 pm

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/25-lgbt-groups-send-letter-to-big-12-urging-it-to-shun-byu-080816

BYU's candidacy into the Big 12 took a hit today. The Big 12 is dealing with enough headaches with Baylor as it currently stands - I'm not sure if the Big 12 Presidents would want to deal with an added migraine dealing with this issue.

If BYU gets snubbed, a Cincinnati/Houston combination jumps into the lead. The Big 12 would re-add Houston as a top-market, as well as adding a well-rounded athletics program to become a travel partner for Cincinnati.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:35 pm

SJHooper wrote:UConn simply put, is a school that sold its soul for football and is on the verge of collapse. It's hilarious to me how they assume they will just keep winning in basketball because of the 4 titles they won recently even though they were ALL from Calhoun or Calhoun players. Calhoun's fingerprints are now gone, they are not Big East anymore, and boom they are pretty much irrelevant compared to where they were just a few years ago.

That's pretty much a false analysis of what UConn is and what happened with their 2014 team.

1. The 2014 team was not simply Calhoun players. Brimah, Kromah, Nolan, and Calhoun were Ollie players. Boatright and Daniels were recruited by Ollie when he was Calhoun's chief recruiter and they were developed primarily by Ollie. Even Giffey saw very little playing time under Calhoun and was primarily developed by Ollie. After UConn was suspended from the tournament due to violations under Calhoun, players deserted the program like rats off a sinking ship. So, Ollie even had to re-recruit Napier and Boatright. The idea that Ollie simply inherited a championship caliber team from Calhoun is patently false.

2. The other factor is that the 2014 did not win the NC as the result of having more talent than the other teams they faced. In fact Kentucky and Florida clearly had tons more talent than they did. UConn won that championship because Ollie pulled off one of the great coaching jobs that the tournament has seen in a Final Four. That was 100% Ollie's championship.

Ollie is still the UConn coach. Ollie is still the coach who brought them a NC, who is a proven recruiter and a proven strategist. He developed that 2014 championship team from the shattered remnants of the post-2011 championship that had declined in 2012 and then lost 4 starters either to the NBA or to transfer. Ollie is a great coach, who is widely recognized as such both by people in college and in the NBA. If he left UConn, he would immediately be hired by another top college or by the pros. The UConn program is in good hands.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board