Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby redmen9194 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:28 am

Would not take UConn as a member if they continue to have FBS football. If they downgrade football or get rid of it, we should take them. But if they park football in the Big XII, they don't get to come to us for basketball. We don't need them.
redmen9194

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:44 am

considering Fox is a big part of both the Big 12 and Big East- I think UConn would have a home in the Big East. Fox may actually push it quite frankly.....
stever20

Postby notkirkcameron » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:20 pm

The hell with UConn. They pooped their bed with mediocre football, now let them sleep in it.
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Postby adoraz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Let's not act like UConn wouldn't be the biggest basketball school in the conference. Yes Nova has been better the last 2 years but UConn has the best overall history (including the last couple decades). Then of course there's the woman's team.

If they are willing to downgrade football of course you let them in.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:44 pm

adoraz wrote:Let's not act like UConn wouldn't be the biggest basketball school in the conference. Yes Nova has been better the last 2 years but UConn has the best overall history (including the last couple decades). Then of course there's the woman's team.

If they are willing to downgrade football of course you let them in.

Was just talking about this with a coworker who isn't a CBB fan. For the average joe-blow, UCONN is one of a few household names: UK, Duke, UNC and UCONN. Sure their stock is dropping every year they stay in the AAC but they still have won 4 titles since 1999.

Reality is its super unlikely they ever rejoin and we are doing fine regardless.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Irishdawg » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:52 pm

FWIW:

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 18m18 minutes ago
BYU & Houston (5 votes each) top @ESPN poll of Big 12 coaches on expansion. Next: Cincinnati, Memphis (4 votes each); CSU, UCF (1 vote each)
Irishdawg

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Re-admitting UConn to the BE would be a mistake of astronomical proportions. Adding any public institution will negate the advantages the President's and their universities have enjoyed these 4 years (includes this year). They remember what is was like in a mixed conference with all of the required reportings, filings, FOIA requests, et al; and the memories are not Fond.
I still contend that any expansion will be with Private schools only.

The Big 12 may have a surprise or 2 up its' sleeve, so it is not a cakewalk for the supposed frontrunners for the league's expansion purposes. Regardless of how any proposed expansion shakes out...individuals dreaming for UConn's return to the BE is an administrative and political nightmare for the conference, by losing its' immunity to inquisitive minds and the government.

Give me Duke and Vandy for a 12 team league. Give me those 2 plus the Zags and St Bonnie's for a 14 team league.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby ivet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:08 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Give me those 2 plus the Zags and St Bonnie's for a 14 team league.

ivet

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:10 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Re-admitting UConn to the BE would be a mistake of astronomical proportions. Adding any public institution will negate the advantages the President's and their universities have enjoyed these 4 years (includes this year). They remember what is was like in a mixed conference with all of the required reportings, filings, FOIA requests, et al; and the memories are not Fond.
I still contend that any expansion will be with Private schools only.

The Big 12 may have a surprise or 2 up its' sleeve, so it is not a cakewalk for the supposed frontrunners for the league's expansion purposes. Regardless of how any proposed expansion shakes out...individuals dreaming for UConn's return to the BE is an administrative and political nightmare for the conference, by losing its' immunity to inquisitive minds and the government.

Give me Duke and Vandy for a 12 team league. Give me those 2 plus the Zags and St Bonnie's for a 14 team league.

Duke and Vandy will never happen. Zags are just too far away, the Big East is welcome to have SBU (They'd definitely come and no A10 member would put up a fight to keep them).

Every other major/mid major conference deals with FOIA requests. I understand wanting to keep like minded institutions, but if the major argument is to avoid these requests - well that's pretty foolish. I can't think of anything that FOIA requests have really uncovered. If all the other conferences can do this, please inform me of the leverage the BE has by not associating athletic departments with a public.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:15 pm

GTMO is just trolling u guys
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board