6'6 Kobe Paras (former UCLA commit) - Creighton

Big East hoops recruiting home

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:02 pm

6'6 wing Kobe Paras is on an official visit today. Former 2016 UCLA commit, #141 in 247 composite rankings. Should be eligible this year if he decides to commit.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 6'6 Kobe Paras (former UCLA commit) - CU

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:48 am

pulling this from BJU;

New tweet from west coast recruiting guru:

Intel tells me Creighton in the driver's seat for a commitment from 2016 SG Kobe Paras (Middlebrooks Academy/LA Cathedral) #grassroots

Bossi saying he hears the same.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby BigmanU » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:50 pm

What Asst coachs/recruiters are putting in work on the trail?

Creighton has become a destination spot!

Good luck on this one
BigmanU

Postby Jet915 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:19 pm

BigmanU wrote:What Asst coachs/recruiters are putting in work on the trail?

Creighton has become a destination spot!

Good luck on this one

Coach Murphy is the lead recruiter here and is most responsible for getting us in on plenty of top 100 recruits although to be fair, Mitchell Ballock is a Coach Devries recruit.
Jet915

Postby XtoDC » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:14 am

As an outsider this is my perception of Creighton recruiting, I'd appreciate one of the Creighton fans that is more tuned into it to let me know how close or off base I am.

My guess is Creighton's biggest problems with recruiting in the past was just having the prestige to get these kids on campus. Now with the Big East name behind them kids are more likely to legitimately give them a chance and a visit. Then they get on campus and see the amazing facilities Creighton has and that Omaha isn't just a bunch of cornfields and boom, the recruits start rolling in. Now Creighton is becoming the kind of program that can land these top 150 kids and be in the top 25 recruiting team rankings on an annual basis.

Without digging too deep, can someone tell me which areas of the country Creighton mostly focuses their recruiting efforts on? I assume Creighton has at least one guy on staff who tries to clean up locally but there problem isn't a ton of talent within a couple hours drive of campus. I would think at least one if not two assistants have good ties to the west coast since there is plenty of talent out west and not as many schools, plus those kids seem more likely to go further away for college than kids in the midwest for instance.
XtoDC

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:27 pm

XtoDC wrote:As an outsider this is my perception of Creighton recruiting, I'd appreciate one of the Creighton fans that is more tuned into it to let me know how close or off base I am.

My guess is Creighton's biggest problems with recruiting in the past was just having the prestige to get these kids on campus. Now with the Big East name behind them kids are more likely to legitimately give them a chance and a visit. Then they get on campus and see the amazing facilities Creighton has and that Omaha isn't just a bunch of cornfields and boom, the recruits start rolling in. Now Creighton is becoming the kind of program that can land these top 150 kids and be in the top 25 recruiting team rankings on an annual basis.

Without digging too deep, can someone tell me which areas of the country Creighton mostly focuses their recruiting efforts on? I assume Creighton has at least one guy on staff who tries to clean up locally but there problem isn't a ton of talent within a couple hours drive of campus. I would think at least one if not two assistants have good ties to the west coast since there is plenty of talent out west and not as many schools, plus those kids seem more likely to go further away for college than kids in the midwest for instance.

Generally speaking, Darian Devries recruits local/midwest. He was the lead on top 50 recruit Mitchell Ballock. Steve Lutz recruits mainly Texas but also has a few east and west coast ties. Preston Murphy recruits mainly east coast and Michigan but seems to have ties out in the west coast and south as well. He is responsible for top 100 recruit Tyshon Alexander. He is also in on several top 100 recruits with the current major target being top 25 recruit Brian Bowen who they share the same hometown in Michigan.
Jet915

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:15 pm

Hearing good things with Creighton and Kobe. Hopefully news soon.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:43 pm

Your perception is spot on XtoDC. Prior to joining the BE and gaining stature from our affiliation with a major conference, the Jays had issues in getting past the mid-major label. Even with winning, great coaching staff, and at that time building more facilities, it was an uphill battle just to get top recruits to visit.

CU had won a few battles over the years in landing a 4 star here, a 4 star there (Benjamin, Harstad, Gallagher, Lawson, Stinnett, Bock, Harrell), but our bread was buttered by 2 star and under-the-radar 3 star guys who developed in the system: Buford, Sears, Walker, Korver, McKinney, Miliner, Hibma, Q Henderson... Funk, Tolliver, S Smith, J Motz, D Watts, K. Walker, Dotzler, AYoung, JJones. Casey Harriman, WArtino, Manigat (Canada), Wragge, McDermott, Chatman, Dingman, Zierden, Groselle, Hegner, Z Hanson.

Jucos: Jeff Day, Nick Porter, Manny Gakou, Johnny Mathies, B Nengsu, Ty Morrison (4 star), Booker Woodfox, Witter, Justin Carter, W Runnels, D Ashford, J Milliken, Devin Brooks, Malik Albert, and recently
Transfers: Deren, Echenique (Venezuela)(4 star), G Gibbs, R Kreklow, Mo Watson, Cole Huff, Marcus Foster, Kaleb Josephs (4 star), etc.

Example - all of our recent transfer guys except Watson and Huff, beginning with Gregory Echenique...were previously recruited by Creighton and we missed on them . We landed them on the rebound from the schools we had lost them to initially. Without the BE affiliation, we probably would not have gotten them at all.

It does appear that we are becoming a destination school...and that is in large part due to being a member of the Big East! Thanks President's, thanks fellow BE Schools, and thanks NovaBall, DudeAnon, NJRedman, Gumby, and all the rest of our brethren. It goes without saying that Creighton and the Jays are happy to be here.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Jet915 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:51 pm

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 4m4 minutes ago Paradise, NV
Former UCLA signee Kobe Paras just committed to Creighton, per his coach William Middlebrooks.

Welcome Kobe!
Jet915

Postby hortle » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:51 pm

Kobe has committed, according to Evan Daniels' twitter account
hortle

Next

Return to Big East Recruiting