Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:37 pm

stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:NBA ratings are driven by stars. NBA could not have asked for better circumstances this year. Put any other two teams in the finals and the ratings would be completely different.

Isn't this a bit off topic though? What are we getting at? That MLB isn't a hot property?

If it had been Oklahoma City/Cleveland- the ratings would have been good. And great for 18-49's. Game 7 of the NBA had almost as many 18-49 viewers as total viewers for the last game of the WS.

All I was saying originally is that the teams that Fox looks like they're going to be getting will be solid- not quite as great as last year for Turner- but that's a once in a generation type of year. But looking WAY better than the AL.

Baseball though does have a age problem. I saw a tweet somewhere that had median ages for a day a few weeks ago. The median age for MLB was like 55 or something like that. And the NBA definitely skews young. And unfortunately, MLB is trending down, while NBA is trending up.

The MLB isn't a hot property compared to the NBA.

Why are you comparing it to the NBA? It's not like they are going head to head. The MLB season is over when the NBA season starts. WTF does one have to do with the other in this situation? You are just moving goal posts again!
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:53 pm

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:NBA ratings are driven by stars. NBA could not have asked for better circumstances this year. Put any other two teams in the finals and the ratings would be completely different.

Isn't this a bit off topic though? What are we getting at? That MLB isn't a hot property?

If it had been Oklahoma City/Cleveland- the ratings would have been good. And great for 18-49's. Game 7 of the NBA had almost as many 18-49 viewers as total viewers for the last game of the WS.

All I was saying originally is that the teams that Fox looks like they're going to be getting will be solid- not quite as great as last year for Turner- but that's a once in a generation type of year. But looking WAY better than the AL.

Baseball though does have a age problem. I saw a tweet somewhere that had median ages for a day a few weeks ago. The median age for MLB was like 55 or something like that. And the NBA definitely skews young. And unfortunately, MLB is trending down, while NBA is trending up.

The MLB isn't a hot property compared to the NBA.

Why are you comparing it to the NBA? It's not like they are going head to head. The MLB season is over when the NBA season starts. WTF does one have to do with the other in this situation? You are just moving goal posts again!

Actually the NBA is starting when the MLB season ends. NBA has kind of crept earlier and earlier. this past year- started on Oct 27, which was game 1 of the WS.

But the point is the NBA has overtaken MLB for #2. MLB skews old. And for this discussion, it matters far more with MLB than any of the other sports what teams are in the playoffs. MLB skews very local. For Fox you better believe they are huge Dodger, Met, and Cubs fans right now.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:53 pm

FS1 wants the Cubs= ratings gold.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:03 pm

MUPanther wrote:FS1 wants the Cubs= ratings gold.

There is absolutely no doubt about that. And that would go all the way to the World Series...

looking- 2004's World Series with the Red Sox had in the last 20 years the top rated games 1,2,3,4(the series went only 4 games). The Cubs probably from all their days with WGN would be at least as big- if not bigger.

Oh and the game 4- got almost 29 million viewers. only 6 games got more viewers than that in the last 20 years- with of those 6- 3 of them being game 7's(including 2001 New York/Arizona which drew almost 40 million viewers). And that was pretty much all Red Sox- as they were up 3-0.
stever20

Postby adoraz » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:37 pm

Stever, you can make the case that the Finals have passed the World Series (I'd still be really interested in seeing a finals without LeBron or Curry... I'm confident the ratings would suck), but I think in most metrics MLB is ahead. Things like local ratings are much better in MLB. For whatever reason most people don't care about the MLB postseason if their team is not in it.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:23 am

adoraz wrote:Stever, you can make the case that the Finals have passed the World Series (I'd still be really interested in seeing a finals without LeBron or Curry... I'm confident the ratings would suck), but I think in most metrics MLB is ahead. Things like local ratings are much better in MLB. For whatever reason most people don't care about the MLB postseason if their team is not in it.

The big problem with MLB right now are the demographics. They skew old- real old.
median age according to a CNBC article last year.....
MLB 53
NFL 47
NBA 37

also- just look at the money......
MLB 1.6 billion dollar tv contract
NBA 2.6 billion dollar tv contract
(both done in the last few years) I dare say the demographics have a large thing to do with both of those numbers....

as to your point on the playoffs- you are spot on- most folks don't care about the postseason in MLB if their team isn't in it. I know a lot of times I'm like that. Esp. considering how busy October gets with other sports.

trust me- I don't like it- I'm a huge baseball guy. we have a thread on the csn board about MLB and I've posted there 441 times(another guy has posted 523 times). The thread has 1306 replies right now. Last years thread had 2921 replies.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:19 pm

Sat's #UFC201 Prelims on #FS2 had 331,000 viewers, up 9% over last full PPV prelims on FS2 (in 2014), was 6th most watched show ever on FS2
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:26 am

According to Matt Sarz (via Sports Business Journal), FOX Sports Go will soon be added to Apple TV, Google Chromecast and XBOX before College Football season starts (and just got added on Roku).
MUPanther

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:33 am

MUPanther wrote:According to Matt Sarz (via Sports Business Journal), FOX Sports Go will soon be added to Apple TV, Google Chromecast and XBOX before College Football season starts (and just got added on Roku).

Awesome, my dad is looking to cut the cord and combine this with Watch ESPN and his Roku should be enough (using my cable login.)
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:56 am

MUPanther wrote:According to Matt Sarz (via Sports Business Journal), FOX Sports Go will soon be added to Apple TV, Google Chromecast and XBOX before College Football season starts (and just got added on Roku).

Awesome! About time!
hoyahooligan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board