Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby _lh » Wed May 11, 2016 6:47 am

I have said all along that I don't think the Big 12 will expand due to the poor choices they have as expansion candidates from the AAC. No one is forcing the B12 to expand so I think many that want to expand think they should only do so for obvious choices like FSU, Clemson, Notre Dame, etc. They will always have the ability to add AAC schools at anytime. They need to hold pat at 10 for another few years and see how things shake out. The AAC schools will always answer the call.
Xavier
_lh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Thu May 12, 2016 12:40 pm

Big 12 expansion thoughts...

The Big 12 doesn't want to expand, but there have been rumors circulating on the subject. They had a study done which determined that expanding to 12 schools would increase its chances (by 12% or something) of 1 of its teams making the 4-team college football playoffs.

So because of this, against their true wishes, they may add 2 schools.

To me, it seems that the better option is to expand the CFB playoff to 6 teams... top two teams get a bye, like the NFL playoffs. From the start of the CFB playoff format, it seemed to me to be pretty dumbass to have 5 supposed "major" FB conferences, yet only 4 playoff teams. Only the brainless college football establishment could have designed such a thing, and then have one of the designers complain every year, especially with the secret recipe formula of determining the top four.

Instead of 6 though, there is no real talk of playoff expansion, so this format will continue, meaning the Big 12 may go ahead with expansion, which they don't want to do.

Ok, that is all.
Providence
billyjack

Postby DeltaV » Fri May 13, 2016 4:54 pm

I think a key takeaway from that article is 'why would ESPN/FOX pay Cinci/Memphis/USCF big conference money when they can pay them little conference money'.

The cash isn't there anymore, and the Big 12 isn't going to start splitting the same amount of money two more ways. Same with us...the landscape has changed in the past few years, and I wouldn't be surprised if the offer to the Big East of equal money per school in the case of expansion was off the table.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby Jet915 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Big XII is dead in the water. If/when OU and/or Texas decide to leave, the conference will fall apart. No additions will change that...
Jet915

Postby NJRedman » Tue May 17, 2016 9:00 pm

Jet915 wrote:

Big XII is dead in the water. If/when OU and/or Texas decide to leave, the conference will fall apart. No additions will change that...

This is true, the couple of left behinds will join the AAC. Schools like ISU, Baylor and KSU. They would then be the clear top G5 conference.
NJRedman

Postby JPSchmack » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:49 pm

I think the whole UConn "hybrid with Big 12 Football/Big East other" thing is a pipe dream that will never happen.

Also, I just want to toss out some supporting evidence in my "beaten to death" belief on Big East expansion.

St. Bonaventure had the highest TV ratings of the Atlantic 10 schools, ahead of 2nd place VCU (who has 31,000 enrollment to Bona's 2,000) and 3rd place Dayton (who's three times the size of Bona, and has a widely regarded basketball viewership/fan base).
JPSchmack

Postby Vill » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:43 pm

Nothing came out of the B12 meetings so can we put realignment to bed for a while?
Vill

Postby DeltaV » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Vill wrote:Nothing came out of the B12 meetings so can we put realignment to bed for a while?

What else would we talk about?
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board