Conference Realignment Thread v. 2016

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment thread v. 2016

Postby Michael in Raleigh » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:57 am

_lh wrote:You are ignoring the article that was posted about UCONN and the state of Connecticut losing millions of dollars. So, no they cannot afford to proceed as they have long term.

No.

I don't care about the rest of the AAC but UCONN and UC for example are both in tight spots trying to be big time football without P5 money to really get them or keep them there. It was a nice ride for UCONN and UC in the old BE but if they don't get into a P5 conference soon, they are going to have to make some tough decisions.

How is it any different for Houston, Boise State, Colorado State, UCF, USF, or Memphis? All of them badly want to get into Power 5 leagues. All of them are in tight spots trying to be big time football without P5 money. Yet it's only UConn and Cincinnati who are going to have to make some tough decisions?

I don't buy it that UConn or Cincinnati are any more likely to throw in the towel, eventually, on football than any of those other schools. It just seems like UConn and Cincy would be more willing to step back investment in football because they used to be in the Big East.
Michael in Raleigh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby _lh » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:00 am

Michael in Raleigh wrote:
_lh wrote:You are ignoring the article that was posted about UCONN and the state of Connecticut losing millions of dollars. So, no they cannot afford to proceed as they have long term.

No.

I don't care about the rest of the AAC but UCONN and UC for example are both in tight spots trying to be big time football without P5 money to really get them or keep them there. It was a nice ride for UCONN and UC in the old BE but if they don't get into a P5 conference soon, they are going to have to make some tough decisions.

How is it any different for Houston, Boise State, Colorado State, UCF, USF, or Memphis? All of them badly want to get into Power 5 leagues. All of them are in tight spots trying to be big time football without P5 money. Yet it's only UConn and Cincinnati who are going to have to make some tough decisions?

I don't buy it that UConn or Cincinnati are any more likely to throw in the towel, eventually, on football than any of those other schools. It just seems like UConn and Cincy would be more willing to step back investment in football because they used to be in the Big East.

I never said any of that.
Xavier
_lh

Postby NJRedman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:26 am

No.

It's different because those schools unlike UConn don't have an actual fall back option to make more money and let their actual school favorite sport thrive in a power conference. Their athletic department could go from red to black almost overnight. They'd have to buy out coaches contracts and probably offer to honor any FB scholarships to the kids currently on the roster if they didn't want to transfer but after that their spending would be much much lower while making more money. None of the other G5 schools have that option.
NJRedman

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:09 pm

NJRedman wrote:

No.

It's different because those schools unlike UConn don't have an actual fall back option to make more money and let their actual school favorite sport thrive in a power conference. Their athletic department could go from red to black almost overnight. They'd have to buy out coaches contracts and probably offer to honor any FB scholarships to the kids currently on the roster if they didn't want to transfer but after that their spending would be much much lower while making more money. None of the other G5 schools have that option.

You're ignoring money that is available to them from other sources.
Bill Marsh

Postby NJRedman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:42 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

I pointed out how they are different. Don't change the subject. UConn has options those other schools don't. I know I know Bill Marsh lives in CT so he knows everything going on at the school. Still doesn't change the fact that they are hemorrhaging money through their chase for a spot in the FB5 that seems more and more unlikely with each passing month.
NJRedman

Postby billyjack » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:53 pm

On a side note from a couple of pages ago...

In the never-happening scenario where a some ACC schools become available, am i the only one here that has no interest in having them join the Big East? I have absolutely no interest in watching Wake Forest (as little interest as Wake fans would have in watching PC). I have no interest in Boston College, even with their long history with us. I freakin hate Duke, and don't want them in our conference. Like, we're supposed to get all excited because of these clown ACC schools?

These ACC scenarios will never happen, but whatever, I like the 10 of us we already have.

That is all.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:37 pm

NJRedman wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

I pointed out how they are different. Don't change the subject. UConn has options those other schools don't. I know I know Bill Marsh lives in CT so he knows everything going on at the school. Still doesn't change the fact that they are hemorrhaging money through their chase for a spot in the FB5 that seems more and more unlikely with each passing month.

Let's follow the logic here for those who are promoting the UConn-back-to-the-BE argument. Consider the following:

1. UConn spent $71.5 million on athletics in its most recently reported season.
2. UConn currently receives just under $2 million per year from its AAC TV contract.
3. The Big East currently distributes about $4.2 million annually to each member from its TV contract.

So, a UConn move to the BE could increase its TV revenue by about $2.35 million over its TV revenue in the AAC.

BUT . . .

4. The AAC distributed $15.2 million in college football playoff money to its members in the most recent report, which breaks down to $1.27 million per school in a 12 member distribution model. UConn would lose this money if it leaves the AAC, money which will undoubtedly be higher in future seasons.

So, the net gain for UConn in moving to the Big East is a little over $1 million ($4.2 mill vs $3.1 mill). That is a very small piece of UConn's $71.5 million expenditures on athletics.

So, the logic is that UConn will move to the BE for a net gain equivalent to about 1.4% of its total athletic budget? A number that will decline as college football playoff money grows. Someone's going to have to explain to me how this solves their budget crunch.
Bill Marsh

Postby ChelseaFriar » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:38 pm

UConn will hold out for a Football 5 invite for a very long time.

They want to be associated with major research universities and will be willing to figure out a way to keep waiting if they have to wait.
ChelseaFriar

Postby _lh » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:29 pm

The logic is simple. UCONN wants to be in a P5 comference because they spent a large snout of money in that quest but they currently are not in a P5 conference with only the Big XII as a remote possibility. What UCONN wants and what they get are currently not the same and maybe never will be. Eventually they will have to give up on their dream if the Big XII expands and leaves UCONN out.
Xavier
_lh

Postby Noonzy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:32 pm

UConn is still getting money from the BE split with the tournament credits.
Providence College
Noonzy

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board