Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:35 pm

Saint Louis just canned Jim Crews. It'll be interesting to see what kind of coach they go after. If they go the bigger name route, it will surely be an attempt to make a long-term push into the Big East.
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEwannabe » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:48 pm

SLU's problem? They whiffed when Majerus passed away. Crews did a remarkable job filling in for the ailing then departed Majerus and even followed up with successful campaigns but it was all with players Rick brought in. Majerus was a big time perosnality, Crews a wilted flower. The AD shoud've been fired for SLU's direction. Now it's a complete rebuilding job and while the right guy can turn things around it seems more times than not in these situations it takes several years.
BEwannabe

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:53 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Saint Louis just canned Jim Crews. It'll be interesting to see what kind of coach they go after. If they go the bigger name route, it will surely be an attempt to make a long-term push into the Big East.

what big names are out there though that would go to SLU? One I'm thinking of is Lavin, but I think they would be looking for more of a sure thing than him quite frankly......

SLU was in a darned if you do/darned if you don't situation with Crews.
stever20

Postby XtoDC » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:37 am

stever20 wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Saint Louis just canned Jim Crews. It'll be interesting to see what kind of coach they go after. If they go the bigger name route, it will surely be an attempt to make a long-term push into the Big East.

what big names are out there though that would go to SLU? One I'm thinking of is Lavin, but I think they would be looking for more of a sure thing than him quite frankly......

I can't imagine Lavin in Saint Louis, he seems like he has to be on the coast in a big city. He would also have to completely retool that program over several years. That doesn't sound like something Lavin is probably chomping at the bit to do, I expect him to just be TV from here on out.

The list of coaches Saint Louis goes after will be interesting though, hopefully they are smart and get a hungry workaholic up and comer assistant coach to turn the program around and provide some energy. Saint Louis has good facilities and a fan base with potential to grow significantly if they have a winner. Someone like a Jim Crews or even a Rick Majerus don't have the energy to outwork other teams for recruits which is what they need. They should really be trying to copy Xavier as of 15 years ago and ride that method to success, you don't need the big expensive sexy name to be good at the Atlantic 10 level.
XtoDC

Postby ivet » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:56 am

XtoDC wrote:
stever20 wrote:

I can't imagine Lavin in Saint Louis, he seems like he has to be on the coast in a big city. He would also have to completely retool that program over several years. That doesn't sound like something Lavin is probably chomping at the bit to do, I expect him to just be TV from here on out.

The list of coaches Saint Louis goes after will be interesting though, hopefully they are smart and get a hungry workaholic up and comer assistant coach to turn the program around and provide some energy. Saint Louis has good facilities and a fan base with potential to grow significantly if they have a winner. Someone like a Jim Crews or even a Rick Majerus don't have the energy to outwork other teams for recruits which is what they need. They should really be trying to copy Xavier as of 15 years ago and ride that method to success, you don't need the big expensive sexy name to be good at the Atlantic 10 level.

No to Lavin. Boise States Leone Rice would be nice only problem is that he is a NorthWest guy. Not sure how he would do in the Midwest and NorthEAst.

My suggestion would be to pick up Tim Cluess from Iona. He is a New York City guy and even played at St. John's. He has done very well at iona and I'm actually surprised he hasn't moved up to bigger programs.
ivet

Postby marquette » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:55 am

Probably the biggest hire in SLU history. If the Big East ever expands I think it will be when our next tv contract comes up. SLU has until then to audition. Hopefully they pick up somebody like Drew from Valparaiso. Not really sure what other names are out there as far as up-and-coming coaches.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:41 pm

Who is the coach at UALR. A proven winner who does more with less. The guy at La Tech is a great recruiter. There are several guys on lower levels who would do well in the A10.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:50 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Who is the coach at UALR. A proven winner who does more with less. The guy at La Tech is a great recruiter. There are several guys on lower levels who would do well in the A10.

The guy at La Tech just got there- their old coach went to Florida to replace Billy Donovan....

The guy at UALR is Chris Beard. It's also his 1st year there.....
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:11 pm

SLU should go after Steve Masiello
NJRedman

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:39 pm

NJRedman wrote:SLU should go after Steve Masiello

I have a feeling he'll end up a Rhode Island if (when) Dan Hurley leaves for Rutgers. I think he'd be a good option though, as would a couple other MAAC coaches in Tim Cluess and King Rice. Maybe Tommy Amaker as a long shot? Though he doesn't seem to be in any rush to leave Harvard until Coach K retires and opens up the Duke job. They could also go the route of taking an assistant coach from a power conference team.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board