Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:07 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
stever20 wrote:The fact is there is next to no difference being on ESPN or being on network tv. There just isn't.

Just drop it man. We are with FOX for another 10 years. There is no point rehashing for the 1000th time how great ESPN is. Maybe you should worry about your Hoyas, there is more than enough there to occupy your time.

Where I disagree with folks here is the thinking that being on Fox/CBS means more than being on ESPN. The UNC/Duke game is one of the games of the year, and it's always on Cable. Casual fans can find their way there, now can't they?

Network CBB means far less than it does CFB. It ALWAYS has, and probably always will.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NovaBall » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:11 pm

We aren't talking about casual fans. We are talking about casual tv viewers. That's what you don't understand.

We are talking about exposure for the school. Not just having a bunch of 18-34 yr old dudes tuning into the game on espn. But the 65 yr old lady flipping through the lower number stations and seeing her nephew's school on tv. Will she watch the game? Probably not. Will she take note of the school and think it is a cool thing? Yes.

But that's not something stever quite grasps.

Oh yeah, and for recruiting there is nothing that compares to a network game. The promotional advertising and all the schwag that goes with it. Recruits don't care about tv ratings, they care about exposure.

And for many of these recruits, they can't afford ESPN. The FOX games are rabbit ear'ed right into their living rooms (although those views don't count towards ratings)
NovaBall

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:46 pm

NovaBall wrote:We aren't talking about casual fans. We are talking about casual tv viewers. That's what you don't understand.

We are talking about exposure for the school. Not just having a bunch of 18-34 yr old dudes tuning into the game on espn. But the 65 yr old lady flipping through the lower number stations and seeing her nephew's school on tv. Will she watch the game? Probably not. Will she take note of the school and think it is a cool thing? Yes.

But that's not something stever quite grasps.

Oh yeah, and for recruiting there is nothing that compares to a network game. The promotional advertising and all the schwag that goes with it. Recruits don't care about tv ratings, they care about exposure.

And for many of these recruits, they can't afford ESPN. The FOX games are rabbit ear'ed right into their living rooms (although those views don't count towards ratings)

Recruits can't afford ESPN?????? riiighhht..... I've heard it all now.

And I'll bet that Duke had a ton of recruits in for their game with UNC on Saturday night.....

Didn't Xavier have a ton of recruits for their game with Nova a few weeks ago? Only reason why they wouldn't is it was a weeknight game.
stever20

Postby NovaBall » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:20 pm

So you are comparing Duke v. UNC season finale to Xavier v. Creighton?

Sorry, but that just shows how foolish you are.

The BIg FOX games mean so much more to a school like Xavier or Creighton than any random dime a dozen ESPN game. And it has absolutely nothing to do with ratings. Too bad you are too blinded by your hatred of all things Big East to acknowledge the TRUTH.

And nevermind the comparison between a Big FOX game and any AAC ESPN News or ESPNU game. That's just laughable.
NovaBall

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:19 pm

there's only 1 reason why a network game could be better than a cable game.....

network games are always on the weekends... cable games of course can be on weeknights....

but I would say there's absolutely no difference between a weekend network game and a weekend cable game.

I saw the list that Nova had on opening day vs Xavier- a game on FS1. It was an extremely good list. Nova couldn't have gotten any better of a list of recruits had it been on Network TV.
stever20

Postby adoraz » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:48 pm

CBS and Fox are no doubt better than ESPN. With so many different entertainment options, a lot of young people are cutting the cord and just getting the free channels. ESPN ratings are in line because it has been the main source of college basketball games in the past, but that will change over time as it has already been changing the last couple years (especially if some of the Big Ten goes to Fox).
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:35 pm

adoraz wrote:CBS and Fox are no doubt better than ESPN. With so many different entertainment options, a lot of young people are cutting the cord and just getting the free channels. ESPN ratings are in line because it has been the main source of college basketball games in the past, but that will change over time as it has already been changing the last couple years (especially if some of the Big Ten goes to Fox).

A HUGE part of it though is volume. networks only air games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. That's it. Last weekend a heavy weekend with what 8 network games? You look at the network ratings, and they aren't going up and up and up, now are they? Most of the time it's pretty flat.

Also if college basketball was going more and more towards network, why is the tournament going more and more towards cable?
stever20

Postby TheDon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:38 pm

I love FS1 and haven't really watched ESPN in a year or more. It's simple for me. I get to watch virtually every Big East game or at least as many as I want. ESPN couldn't or wouldn't give me that. I've switched and don't have any need to go back.
TheDon

Postby Jet915 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:10 pm

Jet915

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:55 pm

Has anyone tried one of those yet? I am pretty technologically inclined but being in the midwest there aren't any tech expos where I could see one.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board