Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby HoosierPal » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:59 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:Hey MU panther, I appreciate this thread but is there any way to make an "Annotated Fox Sports 1 update" that explains what the hell any of those numbers actually mean, I don't understand them and have no intention of understanding them, as I really hate the television industry.

BTW, I have stever turned off so I would also ask not to quote him so I don't see his biased anti-Big East and anti-Fox Sports 1 posts on this thread.

THANKS!

http://sportstvratings.com/

This is the site where the numbers come from. Click on any day. The headers show above each column. Then at the very bottom there is a brief explanation.

I also like to look at the entire data. For Wednesday, it appears that the UFC lead in to the Butler - Seton Hall game kept a lot of dials on FS1. There was not much local buzz for the game, and attendance was weak. So it is hard to assume very many in Indy tuned in. But with the ever popular UFC Flashback lead in, perhaps we road their coattails.
HoosierPal

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:47 pm

stever20 wrote:I'm sorry I don't think FS1 is all that. I thought it had promise-but it's now nothing but a poor man's version of ESPN. A real poor man's version. I mean just look at late night. ESPN came up with the Sportscenter with SVP. FS1 bastardized their Fox Sports Live into something that is now closer to the Best Damn Sports Show on TV instead of anything close to a sports show. I think ESPN did a few things early on with FS1 that really hurt FS1. Olbermann for one. I thought that was a BRILLIANT move by ESPN. Also them reupping the NBA and not letting Fox even bid on it was brilliance.

Also what you are saying asking folks to not quote me. That's what's wrong with America today. Folks don't want to hear any view other than what they believe in. It's pathetic. I might not agree with Gumby, Westbrook, Billyjack, Jet, etc., but I sure as hell respect their opinions and want to hear what they have to say. AT the end of the day, this is sports. It isn't life or death.

"That's what's wrong with America today"

Aren't candidates allowed equal time? You have 5,000 posts. If anything, that's what's wrong with America. I can't walk into a Tire King without hearing Rush Limbaugh yapping in the garage. We can't escape you. You're not entitled to fill our brains with your opinions.

So a member here used his Holy Land given right to put you on ignore. I would do it too, but i think it's important to read your anti-BE rants/ attempts at morale-killing... so that i can respond hopefully with some reality and truth. Having said that, you have been much better lately (relatively speaking) in terms of your content.

Final thought here regarding ESPN... i'm guessing "svp" is Scott Van Pelt? So people actually love ESPN because of Scott Van Pelt? Is this a real thing? Wow. He's the guy in the mold of the John Andersen dude? Talk about a weak lineup at ESPN. He's the big drawing card? SVP? Is there anything he does other than read a cue card?

Now get off my lawn.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:58 pm

billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:I'm sorry I don't think FS1 is all that. I thought it had promise-but it's now nothing but a poor man's version of ESPN. A real poor man's version. I mean just look at late night. ESPN came up with the Sportscenter with SVP. FS1 bastardized their Fox Sports Live into something that is now closer to the Best Damn Sports Show on TV instead of anything close to a sports show. I think ESPN did a few things early on with FS1 that really hurt FS1. Olbermann for one. I thought that was a BRILLIANT move by ESPN. Also them reupping the NBA and not letting Fox even bid on it was brilliance.

Also what you are saying asking folks to not quote me. That's what's wrong with America today. Folks don't want to hear any view other than what they believe in. It's pathetic. I might not agree with Gumby, Westbrook, Billyjack, Jet, etc., but I sure as hell respect their opinions and want to hear what they have to say. AT the end of the day, this is sports. It isn't life or death.

"That's what's wrong with America today"

Aren't candidates allowed equal time? You have 5,000 posts. If anything, that's what's wrong with America. I can't walk into a Tire King without hearing Rush Limbaugh yapping in the garage. We can't escape you. You're not entitled to fill our brains with your opinions.

So a member here used his Holy Land given right to put you on ignore. I would do it too, but i think it's important to read your anti-BE rants/ attempts at morale-killing... so that i can respond hopefully with some reality and truth. Having said that, you have been much better lately (relatively speaking) in terms of your content.

Final thought here regarding ESPN... i'm guessing "svp" is Scott Van Pelt? So people actually love ESPN because of Scott Van Pelt? Is this a real thing? Wow. He's the guy in the mold of the John Andersen dude? Talk about a weak lineup at ESPN. He's the big drawing card? SVP? Is there anything he does other than read a cue card?

Yeah it's Scott Van Pelt. He's done some interesting things with the midnight show. For one, I love his bad beats thing. He had one that was pretty funny the other day. Team was up by 18 and spread was 16.5 points. Think it was Wichita. They fouled on purpose so they could get stars out of the game. Their opponent made both free throws..... But anyways, SVP has become a very viable show. Gets a fairly decent rating- Tuesday for instance 500k viewers. FSL had some potential, but it's just painful. Was just looking and the other night it got 23k viewers. Think about that.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:32 pm

I have unfortunately somewhat come to stever's line of thinking about FS1. Seeing the ratings for PAC-12 games it seems that the ratings problem is not a Big East problem but rather an FS1 problem.

That being said. There is no going back now and there are still some major positives.

1) $$$ - We get more money per school than the AAC does including football. Think about that. Now remember, $$ enables you to pay your coaches, recruiters, facilities etc, so it enables us to raise the pedigree of the league.
2) Big Fox - Its been great this year
3) Partnership - FS1 is lacking, but having FOX produce media specifically for The Big East is great. "Inside The Big East", the roundtables, the former BE players as analysts (and Lavin). Raftery and Gus. The fact is, outside of FS1 ratings. FOX has been a great partner and has promoted us at every possible way (commercials during NFL games etc.)

So lets just hope the ratings improve and weather the storm until then.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:40 pm

DudeAnon wrote:I have unfortunately somewhat come to stever's line of thinking about FS1. Seeing the ratings for PAC-12 games it seems that the ratings problem is not a Big East problem but rather an FS1 problem.

That being said. There is no going back now and there are still some major positives.

1) $$$ - We get more money per school than the AAC does including football. Think about that. Now remember, $$ enables you to pay your coaches, recruiters, facilities etc, so it enables us to raise the pedigree of the league.
3) Partnership - FS1 is lacking, but having FOX produce media specifically for The Big East is great. "Inside The Big East", the roundtables, the former BE players as analysts (and Lavin). Raftery and Gus. The fact is, outside of FS1 ratings. FOX has been a great partner and has promoted us at every possible way (commercials during NFL games etc.)

Don't forget Brando with #3!!!!

The big thing and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it- UFC is FS1's big kahuna. A GREAT example of this was Wednesday night. Remember in the game thread how folks were complaining that the start of the game was 8:30pm....
well look at the ratings...
7-8pm- UFC Tonight 165k viewers
8-830- UFC Fight Flashback 205k viewers
830- Butler/Seton Hall 142k viewers
stever20

Postby whiteandblue77 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:54 pm

MUPanther wrote:
whiteandblue77 wrote:Hey MU panther, I appreciate this thread but is there any way to make an "Annotated Fox Sports 1 update" that explains what the hell any of those numbers actually mean, I don't understand them and have no intention of understanding them, as I really hate the television industry.

THANKS!

Well, as of early January, the Big East was up 7% in ratings compared to last year.

Thanks and thanks Jet.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby HoosierPal » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:59 pm

stever20 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I have unfortunately somewhat come to stever's line of thinking about FS1. Seeing the ratings for PAC-12 games it seems that the ratings problem is not a Big East problem but rather an FS1 problem.

The big thing and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it- UFC is FS1's big kahuna. A GREAT example of this was Wednesday night. Remember in the game thread how folks were complaining that the start of the game was 8:30pm....

But it is very likely that significant portions those TV's tuned into FS1 for UFC remained on the channel for the Butler game. Maybe any BB game ads peaked the interest of viewers, maybe the watched or maybe they left the room with the TV on, but the lead in WAS significant in the rating. The game didn't draw well at Hinkle, so there is an ancillary reason for the nice ratings. The previous day Villanova only drew 108K.
HoosierPal

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:03 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
stever20 wrote:

But it is very likely that significant portions those TV's tuned into FS1 for UFC remained on the channel for the Butler game. Maybe any BB game ads peaked the interest of viewers, maybe the watched or maybe they left the room with the TV on, but the lead in WAS significant in the rating. The game didn't draw well at Hinkle, so there is an ancillary reason for the nice ratings. The previous day Villanova drew less than 100K.

I know folks like to think that but really UFC and college basketball have completely different audiences. They don't compliment much at all. Plus, this was a replay of a previous fight. So it's the hardcore UFC fans who watched that.

Nova drew less than 100k due to the opponent. Nothing else.

And the ratings that they did get showed why the Butler game was moved to 8:30 and not the other way with game 1st and then UFC.
stever20

Postby marquette » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:21 pm

DudeAnon wrote:

Interestingly, an F5 conference has spoken to their tv revenue breakdown. Here's where BC AD says that their tv contract is 85% football money (it's a couple of years old).
http://thebiglead.com/2011/10/09/boston ... nnecticut/

If we take this as the standard for the F5, and I'm sure the ACC makes more from basketball as a percentage than the other F5's, then we get the following numbers:

Big 12 $25.2 mil/school(0.15)=$3.78 million.
B1G $32(0.15)=$4.8 million
ACC (2014 numbers) $20.8(0.15)=$3.12 million
SEC $31.2(0.15)=$4.68 million
Pac 12 $21.2(0.15)=$3.18 million

Our current number is $4.16 million per school. I think we've done well and actually improved on our old tv revenues. It also shows that we are right in the revenue curve for a power conference.

Old Big East had a 43% split on the basketball side which came out to $1.5 million per basketball school, $3.5 for football school if I remember correctly. The AAC, I believe, is currently in the $1.5-2 milion range for both football and basketball. Not actually that big of a drop off for the football schools, but still not great.

These numbers are just from a google search so they could be wrong, but they seem to be in the ballpark.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:30 pm

And Clemson's guy said 80%. Swofford said 70-80%.

Also- the numbers you quoted are OVERALL revenue per school, not the TV money.......

Bottom line, if the 80% is right, the Big East is doing very well for themselves money wise in basketball.. I've never doubted that. But look at the exposure the others get. Sorry but being on ESPN at least some means a LOT. Do you think the ACC would trade the exposure they get on ESPN vs what we get on FS1? I sure as hell don't think so....
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board