2016 Throwback Thread ---> Big East in the Movies

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East in the Movies

Postby MUBoxer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:49 pm

Marquette's mentioned in that 70s show it's where Donna and Jackie go. Can't find a pic though.

Also there was a famous documentary in the 90s called Hoop Dreams and one of the players in the documentary ended up going to Marquette.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby itsmejpt » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:56 pm

Seton Hall gets mentioned in Celtic Pride. One of them says to Damon Wayan's character, who went to BC, something like "I still have the ticket stub from when you dropped 30 on Seton Hall".

Kyle Watson leads Georgetown over Seton Hall with a buzzer beater in Above The Rim.

Zach Braff wore Seton Hall stuff periodically on Scrubs.
Gyarrrr
itsmejpt

Postby ChelseaFriar » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:11 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
Also there was a famous documentary in the 90s called Hoop Dreams and one of the players in the documentary ended up going to Marquette.

That was a good documentary. One of the earlier on the landscape of recruiting.
ChelseaFriar

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:14 pm

itsmejpt wrote:Seton Hall gets mentioned in Celtic Pride. One of them says to Damon Wayan's character, who went to BC, something like "I still have the ticket stub from when you dropped 30 on Seton Hall".

Kyle Watson leads Georgetown over Seton Hall with a buzzer beater in Above The Rim.

Zach Braff wore Seton Hall stuff periodically on Scrubs.

Celtic Pride is a classic. I honestly recommend it to everyone here.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby billyjack » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:55 pm

I'm hoping that Les Nessman went to Xavier.
Providence
billyjack

Postby sju88grad » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:03 pm

In the movie Michael Clayton, George Clooney plays the lead character who graduated from St. John's....
sju88grad

Postby Xudash » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:18 pm

billyjack wrote:I'm hoping that Les Nessman went to Xavier.

Ha!

I'm actually sitting there, watching it one evening, and I start thinking about how nice it was to have a Xavier pennant prominently displayed on the wall when it dawned on me that it would be a good thing if most of those goofballs on that show didn't ever show up wearing Xavier gear, then Less walks into that room with a navy blue Xavier hoody on.

At least he won the Ohio Golden Hog Broadcaster Award, or whatever the hell it was.

Pretty successful sitcom back then. The tribute to the Who Concert tragedy in Cincinnati and the Thanksgiving episode with the WKRP turkey drops were classics, with Less covering the latter like it was the Hindenburg disaster.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby MackNova » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:20 am

MackNova

Postby thebigeXpress » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:14 am

Xudash wrote:XAVIER

WE ARE MARSHALL

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758794/

If you're old enough, you may recall this tragedy:

Storyline

In November, 1970, virtually the entire football team and coaches of Marshall University (Huntington, W.V.) die in a plane crash. That spring, led by Nate Ruffin, a player who was ill and missed the fatal flight, students rally to convince the board of governors to play the 1971 season. The college president, Don Dedman, must find a coach, who then must find players. They petition the NCAA to allow freshmen to play, and coach Jack Lengyel motivates and leads young players at the same time that he reexamines the Lombardi creed that winning is the only thing. The father and the fiancée of a player who died find strength to move on. Can Marshall win even one game in 1971?

Marshall's first victory? It came against Xavier University. As was the case with a number of schools, the Xavier community at that time pitched in to provide support for the Marshall community. That was a brutal night. Marshall's charter flight smashed into the hills on approach to Huntington's airport in a fiery crash.

A true tidbit: Bobby Bowden was the HC at WVU at that time. Lengyel had the balls to go to Morgantown to ask him for input on WVU's offense scheme (i.e. the veer). Bowden was fully accommodating, and it is featured in the movie.

THE IDES OF MARCH

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124035/

Clooney's father was a news broadcaster in Cincinnati. Rosemary Clooney was his aunt, btw. George shot this movie in Cincinnati with Xavier's campus being featured towards the end of the movie, particularly with the movie's closing scene that involved Clooney in Schmidt Hall while Ryan Gosling's character is stabbing him in the back (politically) during an interview on the floor of the Cintas Center.

George is a Xavier fan, btw:

Btw, in We are Marshall Xavier University is erronously mentioned as Pirates and not Musketeers.
thebigeXpress

Postby DeltaV » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:44 am

There's an episode of Scrubs where one of the nurses says that some absurdly dorky white intern played basketball at Villanova...and I think he then goes on to embarrass Turk (the black doctor) in 2 on 2.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board