Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:54 am

AACguy wrote:Talk on our board is that perhaps with the settling of this matter than realignment ends for a while giving the AAC the possibility of adding a basketball only school (ie, Wichita, VCU, Dayton) to offset navy as a football only member. No matter how you look at it, this is good for the AAC although certain individual members may be unhappy.

I'd say probably half the members are unhappy but I agree, these news probably means the AAC won't be poached for awhile...
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby trephin » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:37 am

Random Questions

Did XU and BU pay $2 million as an exit fee to the A10? Did they pay completely on their own (no conference loan)? And does anyone know if the A10 or MVC changed their fees after everyone made their official departure announcements?

Notkirkcameron: the student info I read was from MVC message board posters although the desire for eastern exposure and students was mentioned in multiple articles I've read with much of that attributed to Fr Biondi's preference and one suggestion that Easterners are more likely to choose private schools than Midwesterners. I also read this article claiming that there were more SLU alumni in each of NYC, Philly and DC then in all of MVC. http://m.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jo ... touch=true
trephin

Postby NJRedman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:41 am

Noonzy wrote:UConn is hoping for any invite to any FBS conference. Right now they think that the Big 12 is going to expand and they may be invited and Rutgers needs a travel partner. College football does not move the needle in the northeast. The northeast is not exactly a hot bed of football recruiting. Some of their fans would rather be in the BE for basketball and let the football join a lower football conference.
While it may sound appealing for the BE to add UConn, it does not fit the profile of the BE schools. UConn is a public institution with public funding. The BE schools cannot compete with their money.

So much wrong with this post don't know where to begin.

1. Rutgers is in the Big Ten NOT the Big XII. They do not need a travel partner since both PSU and Maryland are close by.

2. New Jersey is a top state for FB recruits. It's what PSU and Nebraska always tapped into.

3. Public funding has nothing to do with letting a public school in.

4. UConn is already in a FBS conference, they want to be in a Power 5 conference.
NJRedman

Postby Xudash » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:31 pm

We all know most of what is in the attached, but it still gives me great pleasure reading it, knowing that the Bearkitten fans have to be beside themselves at this point:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/01/14/how-uc-s-push-to-join-the-big-12-took-a-hit-from.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2016-01-14&u=nBaExrqRSIS0%2B8tOrwQRvSDJvwN&t=1452803123

It will get very interesting now with respect to seeing if they can put a sufficient amount of private funding together to move forward with their 5/3 renovation. They're stuck with media-toxic coach and terrible OOC scheduling to go along with their AAC schedule.

Tuberville was a mistake on the football side.

UC presently is in a bad place when it comes to their athletic department.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:50 pm

Xudash wrote:We all know most of what is in the attached, but it still gives me great pleasure reading it, knowing that the Bearkitten fans have to be beside themselves at this point:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/01/14/how-uc-s-push-to-join-the-big-12-took-a-hit-from.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2016-01-14&u=nBaExrqRSIS0%2B8tOrwQRvSDJvwN&t=1452803123

It will get very interesting now with respect to seeing if they can put a sufficient amount of private funding together to move forward with their 5/3 renovation. They're stuck with media-toxic coach and terrible OOC scheduling to go along with their AAC schedule.

Tuberville was a mistake on the football side.

UC presently is in a bad place when it comes to their athletic department.

terrible OOC scheduling?
2016 they get BYU at home and are at Purdue. Also have Miami Ohio at home....
2017 they get Michigan on the road and have Marshall at home.
looking down the road-
2019 they get UCLA at home
2022 they get Indiana at home
2024 they get Pittsburgh at home
2025 they get Nebraska and Boise at home

It's not great- but not terrible.

next year they have for a home schedule UT Martin, Miami Oh, BYU, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, and USF. That's not a bad home schedule at all.

I do agree about the coach though. He was a true head-scratcher of a hire. can't believe they've kept him around.
stever20

Postby JPSchmack » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:39 pm

AACguy wrote:AAC breathing a sigh of relief as it appears the NCAA is going to allow 10 team conferences to have a championship football game so it appears that any Big 12 expansion just got nixed.

Definitely, although the Oklahoma AD basically said “We need to rectify three things:

- We don’t have a football CG
- We don’t have 12 teams
- We don’t have a conference cable network

So, while I think this dies down temporarily, I don’t think it’s dead.

BEX wrote:Small conference = Bigger Payout. Send 5/6 a year to the Dance plus huge TV package divided by 10 = wonderful deal for BE. Send 2/3 in A-10 and crummy TV deal of 5 million for the whole League divided by 14 = Sucks. No wonder everyone wants to join up. Stay at 10. Be greedy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... caa-money/

While that is, for the most part, true. It’s not quite that simple.

For starters, the A-10 isn’t averaging 2.5 bids per year. It’s averaging 4.5 bids and is two units shy of the Big East (1.7 per school to 1.1 per school).

Of course, the A-10 is still dividing up units earned from 2011-2013, while the Big East has none (The AAC cashes those checks). But that’s only paying for three more years, then they’re on their own. And I don’t know how the Big East is dividing their units (10-way split?), but each A-10 team keeps 75% of what they earn, and 25% is divided evenly. So collectively, the Big East teams are better off than the A-10 schools. But individually, it’s not necessarily the case.

But most importantly, the number of bids isn’t a constant. It’s directly tied to the number of teams in the top half of your league.

As I’ve showed time and time again with RPI numbers, you are mathematically CERTAIN to have more NCAA at-large candidates, at-large bids, and units with 12 teams than 10, period.

The only question is HOW MANY MORE UNITS do you need to make expansion financially worthwhile (assuming that just hanging more total NCAA banners in your 10 arenas isn’t financial enough, which is silly because of course it is).

And the answer is relatively simple: 1.01 more bids per year = more money.
JPSchmack

Postby JPSchmack » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:20 pm

trephin wrote:Random Questions

Did XU and BU pay $2 million as an exit fee to the A10? Did they pay completely on their own (no conference loan)? And does anyone know if the A10 or MVC changed their fees after everyone made their official departure announcements?

Notkirkcameron: the student info I read was from MVC message board posters although the desire for eastern exposure and students was mentioned in multiple articles I've read with much of that attributed to Fr Biondi's preference and one suggestion that Easterners are more likely to choose private schools than Midwesterners. I also read this article claiming that there were more SLU alumni in each of NYC, Philly and DC then in all of MVC. http://m.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jo ... touch=true

Xavier and Butler paid $2 million exit fees each for giving less than a year's notice.
Temple and Charlotte paid $1 million exit fees each for giving over a year's notice.

I do not believe the A-10 has raised their exit fees.

Joining the AAC as a non-football member would only make sense for Wichita State.

Number one: The AAC gets $18 million per year from TV. Which would be $1.5 million per school as a 12-team all-sports league. But they’re not 12/all sports. If you assume since football drives the train, Navy would get $1 million and Wichita State would get a half million, that’s probably more than their current MVC deal is worth (because I’m assuming the MVC gets a smaller deal than the Atlantic 10).

Secondly, Wichita State is talking about their future, and considering football. Not seriously, but in a “kicking the idea around” context. Joining the AAC would increase exposure and revenue, increase booster interest and make bringing football back a realistic possibility.

Now, as for VCU or Dayton, that’d be insane for them. The American (and Mountain West) have taken giant steps backward in basketball because you can’t serve two masters, and they’re serving football.

If football didn’t exist, there’s no way that Tulane and East Carolina get invitations.

The first year of the AAC, they had Louisville and Rutgers instead of those two, went .715 out of conference, the top five were like 42-3 against the bottom five and they had five top 45 RPI teams (with SMU getting screwed). Things were just fine. Then they downgraded to UCF, ECU, Tulane instead of Louisville/Rutgers.

Having bad teams at the bottom isn’t terrible. But you want a 2-1 ratio. Thirds of the league: Ranked/Bubble/Cellar. The AAC is like a 1-4-6 split right now.

For Dayton & VCU, they’d pay an exit fee, an entrance fee, leave their NCAA money on the table (That’s like $8 million lost for Dayton) so they could join a league that sacrificed basketball quality for football decisions, makes them only $100,000 more in TV revenue, and could be decimated the second the Big XII wants to go to 12?

No thanks.
JPSchmack

Postby Masterofreality » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:01 pm

Not only did Xavier and Butler pay a $2 million exit fee, they also had to give up any NCAA credits that they earned while in the league. For Butler, it wasn't as much since they were only in 1 year, but Xavier gave up a ton. Fordham, Lossalle, Olean Welding Academy and other flotsam and jetsam of the league wound up making more money from Xavier's success than Xavier did....and they did it by just sitting there and being lousy. All you other schools should be honored and flattered that X would spend so much to associate with you. :D

It's a great country isn't it?
Masterofreality

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Masterofreality wrote:

Not only did Xavier and Butler pay a $2 million exit fee, they also had to give up any NCAA credits that they earned while in the league. For Butler, it wasn't as much since they were only in 1 year, but Xavier gave up a ton. Fordham, Lossalle, Olean Welding Academy and other flotsam and jetsam of the league wound up making more money from Xavier's success than Xavier did....and they did it by just sitting there and being lousy. All you other schools should be honored and flattered that X would spend so much to associate with you. :D

It's a great country isn't it?

1 thing to remember about VCU is they only have 4 credits the next 3 years with A10, then year 4 2, year 5 1 plus whatever they earn this year. So only 15 units payable to the A10(their F4 run was out of the CAA, not A10). So right now only like 3.75 million left(that they wouldn't get all of it either). So nothing like X who just in 2014 paid out 2008-13 14 units alone. 10 in 2015. 7 in 2016 4 in 2017 and 3 in 2018. So X had 38 units or 9.5 million dollars. Butler left 12 units with the A10.
stever20

Postby anXUfan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm fairly certain the money will work out for X in the long run!
anXUfan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board