Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby Masterofreality » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:05 am

Not a good day for those that have been salivating over a Cincy inclusion in the Big 12. Not appearing to be happening for a long time...if ever.

"The DI Council has approved a proposal allowing FBS conferences without 12 members to hold conference championship football games."

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArtic...B_OEM_ID=10410

So, with a 10 member perfect round robin, and the ability to only split money 10 ways, why would they ever choose to add any secondary teams- especially those with barely 40,000 seat stadiums that can't even sell those out?

Sorry Clifton. Not happening. Bl-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC-h!
Masterofreality

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AACguy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:59 am

Talk on our board is that perhaps with the settling of this matter than realignment ends for a while giving the AAC the possibility of adding a basketball only school (ie, Wichita, VCU, Dayton) to offset navy as a football only member. No matter how you look at it, this is good for the AAC although certain individual members may be unhappy.
AACguy

Postby muskienick » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:39 am

It seems to me that VCU and Dayton would be taking a step down in quality (based on current RPI's) and not learning from the circumstances that arose over time in the original Big East with the status of its basketball-centric members relegated to the stepchild level. The A-10 is a very fine basketball driven conference, and is a perfect home for the VCU Rams and UD Flyers.
muskienick

Postby ivet » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:41 am

AACguy wrote:Talk on our board is that perhaps with the settling of this matter than realignment ends for a while giving the AAC the possibility of adding a basketball only school (ie, Wichita, VCU, Dayton) to offset navy as a football only member. No matter how you look at it, this is good for the AAC although certain individual members may be unhappy.

I think its funny that the AAC posters now want to include basketball only members. During realignment a few years ago all I heard was "Football drives the bus" "Basketball does not bring in clout" "Basketball schools are the reason for this Breakup" "It's best to invest in football because that's where the money is."

Why the sudden change of heart about adding basketball only members? Shouldn't you guys be laser focused on strengthening the football programs? I mean....From what I've been told, It does drive the bus. Choo Choo! oh wait that's a train.
ivet

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:45 am

muskienick wrote:It seems to me that VCU and Dayton would be taking a step down in quality (based on current RPI's) and not learning from the circumstances that arose over time in the original Big East with the status of its basketball-centric members relegated to the stepchild level. The A-10 is a very fine basketball driven conference, and is a perfect home for the VCU Rams and UD Flyers.

The A10 tv contract is putrid. The biggest part of their exposure is on the American Sports Network.

The quality even now with the A10 and AAC is very similar- even with VCU/Dayton counting towards the A10. If one of them left for the AAC- it would tilt it considerably to the AAC.
stever20

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:46 am

ivet wrote:
AACguy wrote:Talk on our board is that perhaps with the settling of this matter than realignment ends for a while giving the AAC the possibility of adding a basketball only school (ie, Wichita, VCU, Dayton) to offset navy as a football only member. No matter how you look at it, this is good for the AAC although certain individual members may be unhappy.

I think its funny that the AAC posters now want to include basketball only members. During realignment a few years ago all I heard was "Football drives the bus" "Basketball does not bring in clout" "Basketball schools are the reason for this Breakup" "It's best to invest in football because that's where the money is."

Why the sudden change of heart about adding basketball only members? Shouldn't you guys be laser focused on strengthening the football programs? I mean....From what I've been told, It does drive the bus. Choo Choo! oh wait that's a train.

I post over there so I'll chime in. The idea of adding one basketball only school would be to balance the constituency of the league. Right now there is an odd number of basketball teams so adding one makes sense.
ArmyVet

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:49 am

Saw this interesting idea floated on UCONN's board. Boot Tulane and Tulsa have a 9 team league. They can do 16 conference games and boost their rpi's with better OOC schedules. And they are allowed to have a CCG in football now with the latest ruling as well.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby ivet » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:55 am

ArmyVet wrote:
ivet wrote:

I post over there so I'll chime in. The idea of adding one basketball only school would be to balance the constituency of the league. Right now there is an odd number of basketball teams so adding one makes sense.

Why would a school like VCU, WSU, or Dayton leave for the AAC? So they can be the step child of football members? Have less say in matters of the conference? Lose out in their tourney money? If its "perceived" better competition, it'd be better for them to stay where they are at and schedule AAC's top 3 schools in OoC play. I think the AAC thinks too highly of themselves by thinking that they have the influence to dictate conference realignment. They are better off Adding Army and Air Force as full members.
ivet

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:58 am

DudeAnon wrote:Saw this interesting idea floated on UCONN's board. Boot Tulane and Tulsa have a 9 team league. They can do 16 conference games and boost their rpi's with better OOC schedules. And they are allowed to have a CCG in football now with the latest ruling as well.

why would you boot Tulsa who is decent in basketball?

I could see them moreso go to a 16 conference game schedule, and gerrymander the schedule even more. Like this year you would have for say a UConn all 10 teams played once, and then playing 2x SMU, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Houston, and Tulsa. So instead of playing UCF, USF, ECU, Tulane a 2nd time- you get 2 more OOC games.

I do think something you will be seeing in the AAC now is UConn, Cincy, Memphis even taking more control of things now that they know they're there for a while.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:29 am

The odd thing about the vote yesterday was that only two conferences voted against the proposal. One was the ACC, which obviously wants to have multiple divisional pods for football and choose it's two top teams in the championship game, and the other was the American. I'd be very curious as to why they'd oppose the proposal - since the proposal went through it would only be a positive for the conference, as it would keep the schools together for longer (specifically UConn, Cincinnati, USF, UCF, Memphis, etc.).

The only "logical" reason I can think of is that most (if not all) of the American schools desperately want to be in the P5, so forcing a conference like the Big 12 to expand means two of them are likely to be taken. If that is the case, then no - this is not good for the "conference", it's only good for it's schools. They could care less about the making the conference great, only good enough so they can get plucked by another better conference.

Having said that - the thoughts and beliefs of so many regarding realignment have been proven true: UConn and Cincinnati are officially locked in a sinking ship. With each passing day, season and year, the gap between the power conference schools and everybody else gets wider and wider. The money, recognition and exposure will only go up further for the P5, and the G5 will just lose more and more ground.

I'd say the power conference teams are officially locked-in, and that the only movement may be within the power conference structure. I find it hard to believe any G5 schools get called-up in the next 10 years.
GoldenWarrior11

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board