Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby MUPanther » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:24 pm

I would love Dayton in the Big East. I love their fan support. I would love another school bringing fans to MSG. Plus, we need a school to hate in the league. You know someone to replace Syracuse. :mrgreen:
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby R Jay » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:28 pm

JP, the reason you were moderated was because everyone was tired of all the insistence and the fit you threw about the Bonnies being a good add for the Big East.
Expansion isn't in the cards right now and St. Bonaventure doesn't and will never have a chance of being added because they would damage the Big East brand. Sorry.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:37 pm

Removed
Last edited by DudeAnon on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby JPSchmack » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 pm

R Jay wrote:JP, the reason you were moderated was because everyone was tired of all the insistence and the fit you threw about the Bonnies being a good add for the Big East.
Expansion isn't in the cards right now and St. Bonaventure doesn't and will never have a chance of being added because they would damage the Big East brand. Sorry.

All due respect, that’s a very stupid reason to require extra moderation. Having an opinion that’s sound and logical and discussing it in a polite and respectful way is extra moderation? It’s not a popular opinion, but it is based on logic and reason (and I’m right, BTW).

I just want to get my point across about 12 being better than 10, period. It’s not like I’m calling people idiots for not seeing the light.

DudeAnon wrote:Anyone who doesn't see how much the round-robin is benefiting us is an idiot, simply put.

Feelings are for the weak.

The round-robin is benefiting you how? Explain it please.

Sure, it’s a lot of fun for fans when you’re in the top half. But when you’re one of the three NCAA caliber programs forced into 6-12 or 4-14 conference mark and eliminating any chance of making the dance, how is that benefitting the league?

Conferences operate the same in CONFERENCE PLAY, no matter who the teams are. The conference standings by PLACE are going to be similar year after year.

Last three years worth of NCAA conference standings:

10-TEAM CONFERENCES:
6th AVG 9.8 losses
7th AVG 10.7 losses
8th AVG: 11.4 losses
9th AVG: 12.3 losses
10th AVG: 13.4 losses

12-TEAMS CONFERENCES:
6th AVG: 8.4 losses
7th AVG: 9.5 losses
8th AVG: 10.3 losses
9th AVG: 11.8 losses
10th AVG: 12.3 losses
11th AVG: 13.6 losses
12th AVG: 15.2 losses

The 8th place team in a 12-team league has a better chance at an NCAA bid than the 7th place team of a 10-team league.

The best way to maximize bids in a conference is having an excellent top two-thirds, and a bottom third that wins OOC, and loses in conference.

I don’t see how the double-round is “benefiting.” My definition a “better conference” is “more NCAA bids.” And I can objectively state with data how it’s not benefiting you at all.
JPSchmack

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:11 pm

So a 6th place team in a 12-team conference averages fewer conference losses than a 6th place team in a 10-team conference? That right there is gold. I wonder if a 6th place team in a 14-team conference would average even fewer losses?
GoldenWarrior11

Postby _lh » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:14 am

Masterofreality wrote:Not "elitist".

There is no need to expand this league, despite how badly some on the outside want it to happen.

And we're not "looking for anyone for expansion". No one I know connected with any schools in this league want it to expand. Round Robin schedule and good TV money split. All schools of like mind. The "suspects" are the product of a insanely delusional imagination.

As I said. Those on the outside, keep dreaming.

This is so true. The BE is perfect at 10. There is no reason to expand unless UCONN and ND want to join for some reason. Any other potential candidate would not be worth it.
Xavier
_lh

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:24 am

Removed
Last edited by DudeAnon on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:51 am

sorry but just getting to .500 doesn't guarantee a NCAA spot. Marquette, Creighton, Georgetown- and of course DePaul/St John's- finish 9-9- and they aren't in the tourney. Seton Hall isn't even a lock at 9-9.

Also frankly the way the committee works- if you go 9-0 at home and 0-9 on the road- you will be dinged big time. Because you aren't playing at home in the tourney.

So no, it's not so simple to just say defend your home court, get in.
stever20

Postby MakScratcher3 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:18 pm

I love the Round Robin format -- in my opinion, it has and will continue to develop solid rivalries with a lot of teams in this league, that aren't normally accustomed to playing each other on a consistent, yearly basis.

As already stated before, the only teams I would consider adding are the following:

1. ND, should ACC ever force them to abandon their Independent status for football
2. Gonzaga - most likely unrealistic given their location

After those two schools, the drop-off is astounding as no other schools bring a WOW-factor that the Big East would desire in any potential candidate. I like the Catholic school affiliation component of each school in the conference (Butler, being Christian is the lone exception), so I would prefer that component being maintained with any potential future schools. With that being said, here is my next tear of teams to consider adding, if the Big East feels it must add two more teams:

1. SLU - I think they could be a great BBALL school with a new coach. Great arena, great fan/alumni support. SLU market will be a big draw for SLU.
2. Dayton - as with SLU, they have great arena/facilities and fan/alumni support. Established rivalry with Xavier that would add some buzz to the league. Unlike SLU, their market will be a negative for UD, as it is very close to Cincinnati.

I see no other Catholic universities after SLU/UD that would bring any value to the conference. Wichita State/UCONN would be solid additions, but would not be consistent with the Catholic/private identity of the league.
MakScratcher3

Postby FDS » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:59 pm

MakScratcher3 wrote: I like the Catholic school affiliation component of each school in the conference (Butler, being Christian is the lone exception), so I would prefer that component being maintained with any potential future schools.

Butler is not Christian affiliated. It was originally formed as the North Western Christian University and renamed about 20 years later, however, in mid 1900s, the College of Religion split from Butler and and became the Christian Theological Seminary which is located on the land adjacent to Butler. Since that time, Butler has had no religious affiliation and remains secular and private.
FDS

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board