Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:09 pm

NJRedman wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:The football meetings in January will tell the tale. If the force the Big 12 & ACC to division play and a championship game between division winners-the game changes. The other 3 football majors want to ensure the ACC & Big 12 are playing by the same rule book, rather than cherry picking championship game participants. If forced into division play, many media pundits expect near immediate Big 12 expansion (from slim pickings - BYU, Colorado St., Cincy) to remain eligible for the playoff

http://www.campusrush.com/big-12-confer ... 68401.html

UTexas has fallen into line with its conference mates: the Longhorn Network has poor viewership as UT has not been a factor in the last 3-4 years in football. An article states ESPN has lost $48-50 mill on the LHN. Look for the LHN to die quietly.

UT lost the old Ironman in Dodds, who "retired". Then hired Patterson (who fired coaches, would not take advice, and disaffected the fan base and donors) and was recently fired. UT has problems...they will go along with the conference herd. A big change from a mere 4 years ago.

If the B1G or SEC raid again...they will raid the ACC.

Yeah, the new leadership of UT seems to be more conference focused.

I don't see the ACC's rule to pretty much pick whomever they want to play in the ACC championship game to pass. I do see a real possibility to allow a conference of ten teams and two divisions to play a CCG.

requiring it to be 2 divisions will force the Big 12 to expand.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby cu blujs » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:50 am

The only thing bigger than the amount of cash in the hands of Texas and Texas alum are their egos. You won't see Texas going anywhere except on its terms. Those who lived in Nebraska and paid attention in the 90s have seen Texas throw its weight around after we became the BigXII. I don't see a majority of the schools in the SEC or the PacXII capitulating to its terms like the lesser schools of the Big 8 did in the 90s. Schools that were tired of seeing Nebraska and Oklahoma dominate the conference and were willing to sell out to UT to try to change the landscape. And just like it did when Nebraska left, Texas will do just enough to keep the rest of its fiefdom in check. Football results may be down for the moment, but Texas still rules the roost. They won't be down for long. They simply made a bad hire when Mac retired like so many other schools do at some point in time. USC, Ohio St, Ala, all went through lulls and came back to when national titles. I suspect UT will be right back there within the next few years.

Just talking out of my arse, in my opinion if they are forced to go to twelve teams to have a championship game to get into the playoffs, BigXII would simply add a couple more schools who are willing to live by Texas rules in order to be part of a P5 conference so that the BXII can have a conference championship. The teams they pick will cause no more than a ripple in the other major conferences (Cincinnati or Memphis or maybe Colorado State - or even Louisiana Tech), someone willing to use the extra money they will get by moving to BigXII to upgrade its football. Even if they pull away a Pitt or Louisville, the replacement in its conference will have to be a football school. In my opinion, the only way you get to 16x4 is to guaranty the champion of each conference gets into a four team play-off. Otherwise, what's the incentive? If that happens, all other FBS schools have to drop to FCS. Otherwise, they are locked out of ever playing for anything other than conference titles. I just don't see that happening at the end of the day.
cu blujs

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:18 am

People are underestimating how much the round-robin has helped this conference. What few RPI points we sacrifice (yes stever, we know) we gain in national respect. Just yesterday I was watching the SMU v Tulsa game and they brought up how great it is that the Big East plays a true home-away schedule. I have heard that same sentiment echoed tons of times. We are doing fine, if any improvements can be made it should be done internally rather than externally.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby sju88grad » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:47 am

DudeAnon wrote:People are underestimating how much the round-robin has helped this conference. What few RPI points we sacrifice (yes stever, we know) we gain in national respect. Just yesterday I was watching the SMU v Tulsa game and they brought up how great it is that the Big East plays a true home-away schedule. I have heard that same sentiment echoed tons of times. We are doing fine, if any improvements can be made it should be done internally rather than externally.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.
sju88grad

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:52 pm

Maybe squeeze one more private Catholic BB school's team in there and keep the format ? Just saying.... :)
UD Flyer Fanatic

Postby BEX » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:08 pm

10 works for me, especially when we divie up the Dance money.
BEX

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:19 pm

UD Flyer Fanatic wrote:Maybe squeeze one more private Catholic BB school's team in there and keep the format ? Just saying.... :)

Get another elite basketball program that's a Catholic school in the Midwest/East Coast as a partner and you may get your wish in time.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:27 pm

You sweet talker you. We're in a good place now but it's still fun to keep a close eye on you guys. Nothin better that college hoops. Hopefully your right and if so I'd reassure all we'd pay our own way (tournament cash etc).
UD Flyer Fanatic

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:52 am

Happy New Year and here's to Big 12 expansion! All the Best in 2016! ;)

Expansion will save their butts, keep them in the F-4/F-5 discussion and in the playoffs. (ho-hum)
But what really moves the needle for me is the increased potential for SEC and B1G raids on the other outlier conference - the ACC.

Big 12 expansion and a championship game move it to acceptability by its' peers. Such a move puts the bullseye squarely onto the ACC (yes). When the 2 (SEC & B1G) above finally decide to go to the 4 x 16 level, the ACC schools clearly become the jewels those conferences will look at. Eventually, when the dust settles 4 schools will be gone, leaving the ACC North as the dominant factor on Tobacco Road - which is totally unacceptable to the ACC power brokers. In the carnage I look for 2-4 of the leftovers to seek shelter from C-USA3, in the Big East...Duke and S'cuse? Duke and ND? Duke and BC? All 4 schools?

Ahh yes, did I say that I love conference Expansion?
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:32 pm

Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando
I recall how many predicted doom for this conference after the separation from the BIG EAST. They've performed admirably ever since.

TheBasketBallOpinion ‏@BasketballOP
@TimBrando ....they are doomed once next round of realignment happens. That's why BE basketball schools left. 0 stability in league.

Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando
.@BasketballOP We disagree. Tremendous leadership and a Commissioner in Mike Aresco (Attorney) w/Television acumen. Alignment is FB driven.

heBasketBallOpinion ‏@BasketballOP
@TimBrando Right, so when 2 of Cincy/UH/Memphis/UCF are raided by B12 the AAC will backfill with less successful programs.

Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando
.@BasketballOP I don't see that happening soon. Despite what you hear The BIG12 not looking to share revenue and TV deal solid in American.

@TimBrando We will have to what comes of meetings in Jan. AAC contract is contingent on keeping Tier 1 teams.

‏@TimBrando
.@BasketballOP The only thing that never changes is change. That said, until CFB Format changes will we see it happen. 3 to 6 years away IMO

@TimBrando Regardless, both leagues are better in current format. Big East BB no longer has to dilute product to stay relevant in football.

Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando
@BasketballOP Absolutely SPOT ON.

Brando is boys with Mike so it would make sense for him to go to bat for AAC

Still find it funny that he agreed with my obvious shot at AAC haha
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board