Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby admin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:24 pm

I have taken the liberty of removing the past 3 pages of this thread which were nothing more than trolling and name calling. Continuing that line of posting will result in moderation of your posts.

Thanks-
Admin
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby pki1998 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:56 pm

admin wrote:I have taken the liberty of removing the past 3 pages of this thread which were nothing more than trolling and name calling. Continuing that line of posting will result in moderation of your posts.

Thanks-
Admin

Thank you!
Xavier
pki1998

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:02 am

Just checking up on the teams that have been mentioned as possible future expansion candidates:

Today’s RPI Rankings

2 - Dayton (7-1) • SOS Rank # 17
45 - Richmond (5-3) • SOS Rank # 16
49 - Gonzaga (6-2) • SOS Rank # 43
82 - Wichita State (3-4) • SOS Rank # 22
90 - Connecticut (5-3) • SOS Rank # 56
208 - Saint Louis (4-3) • SOS Rank # 223

Dayton was a 9-point underdog at Vanderbilt last night and won 72-67 after trailing the Commodores 38-22 late in the first half.

WOTS is that Archie Miller has been using the video of the Xavier-Dayton game as a training film for the past 10 days. As you recall, Xavier beat Dayton 90-61 and schooled the Flyers in every aspect of the game. To the Flyers’ credit, they learned a lot from that game and played much better last night.

I don’t believe that Dayton would have beaten Vanderbilt without the valuable experience the Flyers gained from playing a superior Xavier team.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:08 am

https://twitter.com/BasketballOP/status ... 0296483840

44Min mark @GaryParrishCBS states that #Memphis #Cincy are the most likely schools Big12 bound

http://media.espn929.com/a/111587123/ga ... -seg-1.htm
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:24 am

Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:https://twitter.com/BasketballOP/status/674633410296483840

44Min mark @GaryParrishCBS states that #Memphis #Cincy are the most likely schools Big12 bound

http://media.espn929.com/a/111587123/ga ... -seg-1.htm

I'll believe it when I see it. But, if that does happen, UConn would FLIP.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby billyjack » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:33 am

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:Just checking up on the teams that have been mentioned as possible future expansion candidates:

Today’s RPI Rankings

2 - Dayton (7-1) • SOS Rank # 17
45 - Richmond (5-3) • SOS Rank # 16
49 - Gonzaga (6-2) • SOS Rank # 43
82 - Wichita State (3-4) • SOS Rank # 22
90 - Connecticut (5-3) • SOS Rank # 56
208 - Saint Louis (4-3) • SOS Rank # 223

Dayton was a 9-point underdog at Vanderbilt last night and won 72-67 after trailing the Commodores 38-22 late in the first half.

WOTS is that Archie Miller has been using the video of the Xavier-Dayton game as a training film for the past 10 days. As you recall, Xavier beat Dayton 90-61 and schooled the Flyers in every aspect of the game. To the Flyers’ credit, they learned a lot from that game and played much better last night.

I don’t believe that Dayton would have beaten Vanderbilt without the valuable experience the Flyers gained from playing a superior Xavier team.

That was a great win for Dayton. I find that I've been really pulling for the A-10 this year, except vs the BE. They have some good teams.
Providence
billyjack

Postby pki1998 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:14 pm

Dayton as an expansion canidate has one major problem. Who do you add with them? The Big East needs a viable east coast team to pair with UD. There just isn't a good canidate.
Xavier
pki1998

Postby NJRedman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:05 pm

pki1998 wrote:Dayton as an expansion canidate has one major problem. Who do you add with them? The Big East needs a viable east coast team to pair with UD. There just isn't a good canidate.

Why do we need an east coast team? Are the mid west teams going to gang up on the east coast teams and take over? Are they going to move the Big East Tourny to chicago? I don't get this idea that it HAS to be balanced. Just get the two best programs period.
NJRedman

Postby marquette » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 pm

I've been a pretty big expansionist in the past, and have been pretty bullish on SLU, but at this point I think it is much better for the league to stay at 10. Expansion will happen eventually but we are trying to cultivate the image of us as a power conference, which we have been very successful at. Maintaining that is priority #1. I don't think anyone but UConn and Gonzaga would protect that image if we added them right now (maybe VCU). Perception is very important right now. That plus we are just starting to see the first glimpses of developing rivalries. I'd like to give that a chance to germinate.

We need schools like Dayton, SLU, Richmond, VCU, and whoever else might be a candidate to establish themselves in the same way the Butler, Xavier, and Creighton had before coming to the league. I think we are a couple years away from that.

All that is not to say that I don't still enjoy talking expansion and candidates. It's a very interesting topic.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby NJRedman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:28 pm

marquette wrote:I've been a pretty big expansionist in the past, and have been pretty bullish on SLU, but at this point I think it is much better for the league to stay at 10. Expansion will happen eventually but we are trying to cultivate the image of us as a power conference, which we have been very successful at. Maintaining that is priority #1. I don't think anyone but UConn and Gonzaga would protect that image if we added them right now (maybe VCU). Perception is very important right now. That plus we are just starting to see the first glimpses of developing rivalries. I'd like to give that a chance to germinate.

We need schools like Dayton, SLU, Richmond, VCU, and whoever else might be a candidate to establish themselves in the same way the Butler, Xavier, and Creighton had before coming to the league. I think we are a couple years away from that.

All that is not to say that I don't still enjoy talking expansion and candidates. It's a very interesting topic.

I think Dayton is at that level, at least the same as Creighton was prior to them being added. The problem with Dayton is location. Now it's not a huge problem for me because im used to schools being close to each other. Dayton could step into the conference today and the league would be better. A strong fan base and a currently good team with a good coach who would be more likely to stay with a Big East invite.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board