Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Three Years Later: Is Now the Time to Consider Expansion

Postby stever20 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:42 am

The thing that i see is the schools that would be considered- just aren't worth while. that's the killer. the program that everyone wants to add- SLU is 2nd worst in the A10. You have the whole Dayton issue. Richmond IS getting more interesting.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby FDS » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:56 am

The answer is, has been, and will continue to be (absent so major changes to the current situation of the Big East (3 years passing is not major change)) NO!!!

Now please stop asking about expansion. Can one of the new moderators burn this thread now?
FDS

Postby aughnanure » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:57 am

Gonzaga or GTFO
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby stever20 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:03 pm

FDS wrote:The answer is, has been, and will continue to be (absent so major changes to the current situation of the Big East (3 years passing is not major change)) NO!!!

Now please stop asking about expansion. Can one of the new moderators burn this thread now?

The one thing though, if Big 12 does expand, that is a major change. Everything could really change on a dime then. All 5 of the P5 conferences would be at 12+ teams at that point. Depending on who goes to the B12, the AAC could unravel. And this all could happen within 2 months.
stever20

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:10 pm

stever20 wrote:
FDS wrote:The answer is, has been, and will continue to be (absent so major changes to the current situation of the Big East (3 years passing is not major change)) NO!!!

The one thing though, if Big 12 does expand, that is a major change. Everything could really change on a dime then. All 5 of the P5 conferences would be at 12+ teams at that point. Depending on who goes to the B12, the AAC could unravel. And this all could happen within 2 months.

Outside of UCONN, which isn't dropping football, there are no programs in AAC even worth looking at. Memphis/Cincy B12 bound and the rest are garbage.
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:21 pm

No. Round robin is the best thing going for this conference. Any additions will just push our bottom programs down even further. We have gotten better every year, I see no reason that trend can't continue. And besides, by the time the FOX contract expires there will be a whole slew of new schools to choose from if need be.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:29 pm

IF the B12 would expand - which doesn't seem likely at this time, I expect maybe 1 AAC team in the mix, an either/or with Memphis or Cincy. The 2nd team would be either Houston or Rice (in TX.).
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby NJRedman » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:31 pm

My fever dream of Big East expansion. BC, UConn, ND and SLU.

I know it will never ever happen but it's my fever dream not yours! hahaha

Realistically I think we stay at 10 for the time being. Our only shot at UConn is if the Big XII raids the AAC of a few teams and the ACC goes to 16 and doesn't take UConn.

SLU will still be there whenever we decide to expand. I think the conferences bigger concern should be with finding another conference to partner up with and do a challenge with. The Big XII comes to mind since we have the same amount of members but the Pac-12 would also be a good get only if UCLA and Arizona participate.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:35 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:IF the B12 would expand - which doesn't seem likely at this time, I expect maybe 1 AAC team in the mix, an either/or with Memphis or Cincy. The 2nd team would be either Houston or Rice (in TX.).

Houston is in the AAC. Also Cincy and Memphis are the front runners.
NJRedman

Postby DeltaV » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:35 pm

We have the luxury of sitting back, letting the football world sort itself out, and then see what pieces may be left over. For now, UConn isn't dropping football, Notre Dame isn't going to pull out of their quasi-ACC status, and there is no-one else (within the geographic footprint: if Gonzaga was considered an option they'd already be in the conference) worth taking a risk on right now.

Davidson/Dayton/or any other private (at this point) A10 team string together a few single-digit seed years in a row? Sure, we'll probably consider them, especially if the football conferences don't shed anyone to get to a 'neat' number like 64
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board