Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby anXUfan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:25 pm

One fundamental thing we should all be able to agree on is that the AAC sucks. My best friend is a huge University of Cincinnati fan and he's in despair about their league situation. Poor UConn as well. Actually, I wonder if there is a single AAC fanbase not hoping to jump ship for greener pastures.

Concerning ESPN, I'm one of those who very rarely watches it. I'm just not a big enough general sports fan to care about their constant recycling of a bunch of very short, very high level updates about sports I'm not interested in. I'd rather read the news and get more depth on the items I do care about. Also, I got sick of the endless, systematic attacks on the NCAA once they didn't send the NCAA tourney contract ESPN's way.
anXUfan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:38 pm

anXUfan wrote:One fundamental thing we should all be able to agree on is that the AAC sucks. My best friend is a huge University of Cincinnati fan and he's in despair about their league situation. Poor UConn as well. Actually, I wonder if there is a single AAC fanbase not hoping to jump ship for greener pastures.

Concerning ESPN, I'm one of those who very rarely watches it. I'm just not a big enough general sports fan to care about their constant recycling of a bunch of very short, very high level updates about sports I'm not interested in. I'd rather read the news and get more depth on the items I do care about. Also, I got sick of the endless, systematic attacks on the NCAA once they didn't send the NCAA tourney contract ESPN's way.

At least so far this year, the AAC looks like they could be really good- similar type season as what they've had in football. UConn, Cincy, Tulsa all look real good. SMU will win a lot, even with being on Probation. Memphis looks much improved. All the external stuff is one thing- but on the court, they look poised to have their best season yet.
stever20

Postby mpwalsh8 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:20 pm

stever20 wrote:
anXUfan wrote:One fundamental thing we should all be able to agree on is that the AAC sucks. My best friend is a huge University of Cincinnati fan and he's in despair about their league situation. Poor UConn as well. Actually, I wonder if there is a single AAC fanbase not hoping to jump ship for greener pastures.

At least so far this year, the AAC looks like they could be really good- similar type season as what they've had in football. UConn, Cincy, Tulsa all look real good. SMU will win a lot, even with being on Probation. Memphis looks much improved. All the external stuff is one thing- but on the court, they look poised to have their best season yet.

I think there a couple things in play here:

• There a number of pretty good basketball teams in the AAC this season. UConn, Cincinnati, and Memphis for sure, I haven't seen the others play yet but Tulsa beat Wichita State last night which is a very good win. Temple is supposed to be improved over last year. SMU, while inelgible for post season, is also expected to be good. I think it is hard to argue that a basketball league with 5-6 ranked or closely ranked teams isn't a pretty good league.
  • At the same time, there a number of teams, UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston for sure, who all appear to be actively looking to upgrade their position to a P5 conference. I don't fault them for doing so, it is in their best interest.

With the AAC you have a league with little history together which is improving it's product in both in football and basketball yet the members providing most of the improvement are all looking to leave. I don't know how the AAC resolves the inherit instability they have due to a number of their schools all looking our for their own best interest by trying to find a P5 home.

On the ESPN topic, I find myself watching a lot less ESPN mostly because I am not a big football fan and at this time of the year ESPN is 90% football. I'd much rather watch a EPL match than an NFL game. It was posted above by someone that they watch 12 hours of college football on Saturday. Yikes. I probably don't watch 12 hours of college football in a season. When I have it on, I am almost always doing something else so it is basically background noise. Unfortunately it is hard to get away from when football is on almost every single channel. I would never schedule anything around a football game. Ever. I have every Villanova basketball game on my calendar and do my best to schedule personal and social stuff so I can watch them on TV. Football lost me years ago with the constant stoppage of play and commercial interruptions.

I do like the CBSSN College Basketball shows - they do a nice job with them and I am will watch them before the similar shows on ESPN or FS1.
mpwalsh8

Postby stever20 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:34 pm

mpwalsh8 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

• There a number of pretty good basketball teams in the AAC this season. UConn, Cincinnati, and Memphis for sure, I haven't seen the others play yet but Tulsa beat Wichita State last night which is a very good win. Temple is supposed to be improved over last year. SMU, while inelgible for post season, is also expected to be good. I think it is hard to argue that a basketball league with 5-6 ranked or closely ranked teams isn't a pretty good league.
  • At the same time, there a number of teams, UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston for sure, who all appear to be actively looking to upgrade their position to a P5 conference. I don't fault them for doing so, it is in their best interest.

With the AAC you have a league with little history together which is improving it's product in both in football and basketball yet the members providing most of the improvement are all looking to leave. I don't know how the AAC resolves the inherit instability they have due to a number of their schools all looking our for their own best interest by trying to find a P5 home.

On the ESPN topic, I find myself watching a lot less ESPN mostly because I am not a big football fan and at this time of the year ESPN is 90% football. I'd much rather watch a EPL match than an NFL game. It was posted above by someone that they watch 12 hours of college football on Saturday. Yikes. I probably don't watch 12 hours of college football in a season. When I have it on, I am almost always doing something else so it is basically background noise. Unfortunately it is hard to get away from when football is on almost every single channel. I would never schedule anything around a football game. Ever. I have every Villanova basketball game on my calendar and do my best to schedule personal and social stuff so I can watch them on TV. Football lost me years ago with the constant stoppage of play and commercial interruptions.

I do like the CBSSN College Basketball shows - they do a nice job with them and I am will watch them before the similar shows on ESPN or FS1.

I think your post nails it. Until(if) some teams are called up, they're going to be a pretty good league. I think it's totally on emotions to say that the AAC sucks. What I think folks are waiting for is for someone like a Houston or UCF to step up.

The thing that'll be interesting to see is who all leaves. If Houston is one of the teams that leaves- that wouldn't impact basketball at all.
stever20

Postby Bluejay » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:49 pm

Dew wrote:I pray Steven never gets banned. I don't think he's trolling. I'm pretty sure he's 100% confident in his belief.

Confidence in one's beliefs does not mean the individual is not baiting and trolling. But hey, you run the board, so it is your call.

(BTW, I don't believe for one second that he's a fan of the Big East. I also don't believe for one second that he believes he's a fan of the Big East.)
Bluejay

Postby marquette » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:59 pm

Bluejay wrote:
Dew wrote:I pray Steven never gets banned. I don't think he's trolling. I'm pretty sure he's 100% confident in his belief.

Confidence in one's beliefs does not mean the individual is not baiting and trolling. But hey, you run the board, so it is your call.

(BTW, I don't believe for one second that he's a fan of the Big East. I also don't believe for one second that he believes he's a fan of the Big East.)

Dew isn't the admin, just has a sort of similar looking avatar.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:18 pm

stever20 wrote:
mpwalsh8 wrote:
stever20 wrote:At least so far this year, the AAC looks like they could be really good- similar type season as what they've had in football. UConn, Cincy, Tulsa all look real good. SMU will win a lot, even with being on Probation. Memphis looks much improved. All the external stuff is one thing- but on the court, they look poised to have their best season yet.

I think your post nails it. Until(if) some teams are called up, they're going to be a pretty good league. I think it's totally on emotions to say that the AAC sucks. What I think folks are waiting for is for someone like a Houston or UCF to step up.

The thing that'll be interesting to see is who all leaves. If Houston is one of the teams that leaves- that wouldn't impact basketball at all.

The trouble with the AAC is the bottom of the league is really bad and will kill RPIs. That and last night might have been their biggest out of league win and it was no where to be found on TV.
ArmyVet

Postby MUPanther » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:21 pm

COLL BSKTBL: BIG EAST L FS1 MISSOURI/XAVIER 6:30 PM 8:44 PM 75K
COLL BSKTBL: BIG EAST L FS1 NEBRASKA/VILLANOVA 8:44 PM 10:43 PM 163K
INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLY L FS1 ENGLAND/FRANCE 2:47 PM 4:55 PM 167

I was hoping Neb/Nova would get over 100K :)
I wish during the Gavitt Game promos, when they showed the time of that game, that FOX would have listed Missouri/Xavier game on that screen shot.
Last edited by MUPanther on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:25 pm

MUPanther wrote:COLL BSKTBL: BIG EAST L FS1 MISSOURI/XAVIER 6:30 PM 8:44 PM 75K

I wish during the Gavitt Game promos, when they showed the time of that game, that FOX would have listed Missouri/Xavier game on that screen shot.

It's too bad the GT-MD game wasn't on FS1.
ArmyVet

Postby MUPanther » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:26 pm

ArmyVet wrote:
MUPanther wrote:COLL BSKTBL: BIG EAST L FS1 MISSOURI/XAVIER 6:30 PM 8:44 PM 75K

It's too bad the GT-MD game wasn't on FS1.

Yep.
COLLEGE BKBL REG SSN L ESPN2 GEORGETOWN/MARYLAND 9:36 PM 11:16 PM 586k
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board