Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:57 pm

NovaBall wrote:Is stever posting? I bet he called me a moron for not hearting ESPN enough.

We are in such a better place now. Our media rights deal is one of the top in the nation.

lol. Our media rights deal one of the top in the nation? that's LOL funny. when 2/3 of the conference games are on a channel that for basketball can't draw flies- that's not good.

If FS1 is so good, why was the tourney championship game moved off of it?
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby marquette » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:59 pm

stever20 wrote:
NovaBall wrote:Lots of promos for the nova v Nebraska game during the NFL games this weekend

When did we ever have our games promoted like that from ESPN? Haters like stever will point to negatives, but it's not all about ratings. Having your program plastered all over the commercial breaks in every bar across America during NFL ticket time is worth more than some ratings for your midweek conference game that even in the old days would probably just be an espn3 internet stream or espnu broadcast. That's the type of exposure, along with the fox weekend games, along with being treated with respect by your media partner, that makes fox so much better for our group of schools than ESPN. It's not even close at this point.

I was in some biker bar in a rural coffee farming town on an island watching the games. And ever ten minutes one of the games was showing a picture of Josh hart and the ranked villaniva Wildcats taking on Nebraska. Now I'm not going to fool myself and say that I think anyone who was at the bar with me will actually watch the game, but that type of brand promotion and recognition is like gold. Worth so much more than any random big Monday game on ESPN was ever worth. Stever of course won't understand what I am talking about and will post some nonsense, but I think most people here get it.

1st off- the last Big East contract was absolute Garbage. The AAC contract NOW is better than what the old Big East TV contract was. Oh, and sorry but being on ESPNu is better than being relegated to regional sports networks that folks may or may not get. And just stop with the games never got promoted on ESPN. They sure as hell did.

I'm sorry- but Big Monday was huge for ESPN. It flipping made the Big East for gosh sakes. Well between that and all the CBS games that we got all the time. You can act like ESPN had no part in making the Big East what the Big East was- but you are a moron if you truly believe that.

The OBE tv contract was $7.5 million for all sports members and $2 million for basketball only members. The current AAC contract gives them just over $2 million per school. Not really sure how you can say that's better.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby NovaBall » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:09 pm

We have one of the best media rights deals in the nation. Per school financial payout is comparable with any other conference for their basketball rights. Every game gets aired so no more interweb espn3 streams, including a lot of non-conference games that really should just be internet stream. And we have ten games in the FOX parent channel this year, which is simply amazing exposure. We also get the inside the big east and the pregame shows in the FOX parent channel, which is amazing. Not to mention the marketing that fox is doing for us (example being the promos during NFL games).

Really is one of the better media packages in the country. I am not saying it is the best, but it is up there in the discussion among the best.
NovaBall

Postby NovaBall » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:12 pm

The old big east contract was light years better than the current AAC contract. Financially the basketball package was worth just as much as the entire fb and Bob package for the AAC. And the old big east used to have good time slots. The AAC is a steady flow of espnu, ESPN news and Internet streams with the occassional uconn or Memphis game getting some national exposure.

Atlantic ten with CBS sports probably has a better situation than the AAC is getting from ESPN.
NovaBall

Postby NovaBall » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:16 pm

stever20 wrote:
NovaBall wrote:
If FS1 is so good, why was the tourney championship game moved off of it?

Because big FOX, your January and February home for BIG EAST basketball, is better. You couldn't figure that out by yourself?
NovaBall

Postby marquette » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:57 pm

So, anyone look at the tv schedule? Only one AAC game is on tv opening weekend, Temple at UNC. Meanwhile every BE game is on tv in some form, be it FS1, FS2, or FSN.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby HoosierPal » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:56 pm

marquette wrote:So, anyone look at the tv schedule? Only one AAC game is on tv opening weekend, Temple at UNC. Meanwhile every BE game is on tv in some form, be it FS1, FS2, or FSN.

The AAC has 4 nationally ranked football teams playing this weekend on TV.
HoosierPal

Postby marquette » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:14 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
marquette wrote:So, anyone look at the tv schedule? Only one AAC game is on tv opening weekend, Temple at UNC. Meanwhile every BE game is on tv in some form, be it FS1, FS2, or FSN.

The AAC has 4 nationally ranked football teams playing this weekend on TV.

Very true, but I care about basketball and frankly I don't think Navy will be making much noise come march (I'm aware they are a football only member). Throw Houston in there too.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Noonzy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:04 pm

stever20 wrote:
NovaBall wrote:Lots of promos for the nova v Nebraska game during the NFL games this weekend

When did we ever have our games promoted like that from ESPN? Haters like stever will point to negatives, but it's not all about ratings. Having your program plastered all over the commercial breaks in every bar across America during NFL ticket time is worth more than some ratings for your midweek conference game that even in the old days would probably just be an espn3 internet stream or espnu broadcast. That's the type of exposure, along with the fox weekend games, along with being treated with respect by your media partner, that makes fox so much better for our group of schools than ESPN. It's not even close at this point.

I was in some biker bar in a rural coffee farming town on an island watching the games. And ever ten minutes one of the games was showing a picture of Josh hart and the ranked villaniva Wildcats taking on Nebraska. Now I'm not going to fool myself and say that I think anyone who was at the bar with me will actually watch the game, but that type of brand promotion and recognition is like gold. Worth so much more than any random big Monday game on ESPN was ever worth. Stever of course won't understand what I am talking about and will post some nonsense, but I think most people here get it.

1st off- the last Big East contract was absolute Garbage. The AAC contract NOW is better than what the old Big East TV contract was. Oh, and sorry but being on ESPNu is better than being relegated to regional sports networks that folks may or may not get. And just stop with the games never got promoted on ESPN. They sure as hell did.

I'm sorry- but Big Monday was huge for ESPN. It flipping made the Big East for gosh sakes. Well between that and all the CBS games that we got all the time. You can act like ESPN had no part in making the Big East what the Big East was- but you are a moron if you truly believe that.

Stever, I don't know how old you are, but the BE and ESPN helped each other grow. ESPN was operating out of a trailer at the time.
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby stever20 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:35 pm

Noonzy wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Stever, I don't know how old you are, but the BE and ESPN helped each other grow. ESPN was operating out of a trailer at the time.

I TOTALLY agree. Neither one gets as big as they did without the other.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board