Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:48 am

@MHver3 Many B12 administrators very disappointed with new playoff rankings. Lack of CCG will be the difference again

@MHver3 If the B12 champion with one loss gets snubbed again then expect an announcement on expansion before New Year's Day per my OU source

@MHver3 And all signs are pointing to Cincy and Memphis being 11 and 12

@MHver3 My B12 sources are being very elusive on expansion but 2 of my AAC contacts are saying it is Cincy for sure and Memphis is most likely

@MHver3 AAC has been prepared to lose 2 teams for over a year now

‏@MHver3 My source at OU will say that B12 will probably expand twice in the coming years.The 2nd time will be sometime after b10 does next TV deal
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Edrick » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:51 am

There would be no difference between the AAC and Conference USA at that point. A merger sort of thing is the only thing that would make much sense. Its just not a viable level for football investment,
Edrick

Postby stever20 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:09 pm

Edrick wrote:There would be no difference between the AAC and Conference USA at that point. A merger sort of thing is the only thing that would make much sense. Its just not a viable level for football investment,

yes there would still be a huge difference between the AAC and CUSA at that point. AAC still would have for football Temple, Houston, UCF, Navy, SMU. CUSA doesn't come close to that. And basketball is even further of a difference.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:13 pm

plus you have to remember- the AAC could pluck Marshall and 1 other team away. lets say they take Marshall and Southern Miss....

CUSA would have left-
Western Kentucky (7-2)
Mid Tennessee St (3-5)
Florida Atlantic (2-6)
Florida International(4-5)
Old Dominion(3-5)
Charlotte (2-6)
UAB
La Tech (6-3)
Rice (4-4)
UTSA (1-7)
UTEP (3-5)
North Texas (1-7)

Sorry- but that's a HUGE difference between that and what the AAC would have left. AAC would have left Temple, USF, Houston, Navy, and Tulsa all at .500 or over, plus then Southern Miss and Marshall. Oh, and UConn and ECU are both 4-5 so barely under .500.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Unfortunately for the B12. Cincy is in the great AAC so they would probably turn down an invite.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Jet915 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:58 pm

Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:@MHver3 Many B12 administrators very disappointed with new playoff rankings. Lack of CCG will be the difference again

@MHver3 If the B12 champion with one loss gets snubbed again then expect an announcement on expansion before New Year's Day per my OU source

@MHver3 And all signs are pointing to Cincy and Memphis being 11 and 12

@MHver3 My B12 sources are being very elusive on expansion but 2 of my AAC contacts are saying it is Cincy for sure and Memphis is most likely

@MHver3 AAC has been prepared to lose 2 teams for over a year now

‏@MHver3 My source at OU will say that B12 will probably expand twice in the coming years.The 2nd time will be sometime after b10 does next TV deal

If this happens, what of UCONN?
Jet915

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:11 pm

I don't buy the B12 expanding - even if they get locked out of the CFP (they will still be getting their $$$, and they aren't about to dilute their shares to devalue the conference) - but let's say it's announcing they are for sure adding two schools.

In my mind, BYU is the first school they ask. While they would create a second island for the conference, they are the top brand available that is not linked to a P5 conference. They are solid athletically and academically, and bring a national following with their fan base. Perhaps they get asked as a football-only, to protect their olympic sports in the WCC.

The second school they go to should be Cincinnati. They would be a travel partner for WVU, bring solid academics and a well-rounded athletics program. They have proven to compete in both football and basketball with the big boys, and they would bring a significant chunk of the Ohio market.

Memphis is terrible, absolutely terrible, in academic rankings. Memphis is near 200th in the country in national academic rankings, ahead of only ECU in the American. Their football success is not yet proven to be sustained. When Fuente leaves, they'll need similar young coach to keep momentum going. Not sure why they would be considered for the B12.

If Cincinnati and a UCF/USF/Houston/SMU/ECU/Memphis/Tulane gets poached by the B12, I honestly don't know what UConn is to do. They aren't getting invited to the B1G or the ACC anytime soon (within the next 10-15 years). They would, officially, be stuck in the G5. I hope they get into a P5 (they deserve so), but I just don't see how they fit in anywhere.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby handdownmandown » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:50 pm

Its impossible to say what the blowback would be once another round hits. It might be that UConn is seen by one of the P5 as one of the last best options and someone scarfs them up.

Either way they won't be doing anything IMO until they are either taken or it is painfully obvious that they aren't going to get in.
handdownmandown

Postby Xudash » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:55 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:I don't buy the B12 expanding - even if they get locked out of the CFP (they will still be getting their $$$, and they aren't about to dilute their shares to devalue the conference) - but let's say it's announcing they are for sure adding two schools.

In my mind, BYU is the first school they ask. While they would create a second island for the conference, they are the top brand available that is not linked to a P5 conference. They are solid athletically and academically, and bring a national following with their fan base. Perhaps they get asked as a football-only, to protect their olympic sports in the WCC.

The second school they go to should be Cincinnati. They would be a travel partner for WVU, bring solid academics and a well-rounded athletics program. They have proven to compete in both football and basketball with the big boys, and they would bring a significant chunk of the Ohio market.

Memphis is terrible, absolutely terrible, in academic rankings. Memphis is near 200th in the country in national academic rankings, ahead of only ECU in the American. Their football success is not yet proven to be sustained. When Fuente leaves, they'll need similar young coach to keep momentum going. Not sure why they would be considered for the B12.

If Cincinnati and a UCF/USF/Houston/SMU/ECU/Memphis/Tulane gets poached by the B12, I honestly don't know what UConn is to do. They aren't getting invited to the B1G or the ACC anytime soon (within the next 10-15 years). They would, officially, be stuck in the G5. I hope they get into a P5 (they deserve so), but I just don't see how they fit in anywhere.

Even as a Xavier fan, I agree with most of what you mentioned Re UC's strengths, but there is one major correction - though perhaps "significant chunk" lends itself to shades of gray: UC does not deliver a significant chunk of the Ohio market. Obviously, there is Ohio State as the ultimate elephant in the room. From there, Ohio becomes a rather interesting quilt of MAC fans - 6 schools in the state I think (Miami, OU, BGSU, Kent, Toledo and Akron) and a number of smaller liberal arts schools from there. UC's influence is mostly confined to within the I-275 Outerbelt.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby AACguy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:59 pm

It's fun to prognosticate on these things but what percentage of twitter rumors about conference realignment have been true. Like 1% or less?
AACguy

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board