Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby marquette » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:45 pm

Xudash wrote:
marquette wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Har de har har, yuk yuk, you guys... Hilarious. Milksteak & Omahaguy ? /Omaha1 - the new Mork n Mindy, frick & frack, Laurel & Hardy. Tee hee.

When the B1G raids the ACC again, stealing a couple more "traditional" ACC teams, being the top dog in a weak ACC South division will have little appeal for the Dukies. With the north clickians (UNC) on a 4-5 year "death penalty" from the NCAA (unless Roy can get SMU or Miami to take the heat for UNC's 20 year cheating campaign), the thrill will be gone for Duke. There's no fun in playing BC, S'cuse, n Pitt of the ACC Frozen North division. The Dukies will forfeit a bit of cash and accept an offer to join the Big East - likeminded small, private, and basketball 1st schools in a basketball 1st league. Coming to Val Ackerman and NYC within the next 2-3 years, if not sooner.

New Duke head coach Woj-a-Hurley will welcome the opportunity (no Capel, no Dawkins, no black HC at Duke) to charter a new chapter of Duke history in the new BE.

I'm guessing Duke & Vandy or Gonzaga, or maybe even Memphis. No SLU - no Deighton - no VCR U.
gtmoBlue

I would like to meet you in real life. Seems like it might be a fun time.

You going in body armor for that one?

Haha. He seems harmless enough. But I guess there's always the old "curiosity killed the cat" aspect.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jaxalum » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:33 am

Xudash wrote:
marquette wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Har de har har, yuk yuk, you guys... Hilarious. Milksteak & Omahaguy ? /Omaha1 - the new Mork n Mindy, frick & frack, Laurel & Hardy. Tee hee.

When the B1G raids the ACC again, stealing a couple more "traditional" ACC teams, being the top dog in a weak ACC South division will have little appeal for the Dukies. With the north clickians (UNC) on a 4-5 year "death penalty" from the NCAA (unless Roy can get SMU or Miami to take the heat for UNC's 20 year cheating campaign), the thrill will be gone for Duke. There's no fun in playing BC, S'cuse, n Pitt of the ACC Frozen North division. The Dukies will forfeit a bit of cash and accept an offer to join the Big East - likeminded small, private, and basketball 1st schools in a basketball 1st league. Coming to Val Ackerman and NYC within the next 2-3 years, if not sooner.

New Duke head coach Woj-a-Hurley will welcome the opportunity (no Capel, no Dawkins, no black HC at Duke) to charter a new chapter of Duke history in the new BE.

I'm guessing Duke & Vandy or Gonzaga, or maybe even Memphis. No SLU - no Deighton - no VCR U.
gtmoBlue

I would like to meet you in real life. Seems like it might be a fun time.

You going in body armor for that one?

Gtmo would be an absolute blast to hang out with. The thing about Gtmo is his expectations for his beloved Blue Jays can from time to time be a bit "unrealistic"(We ALL can be like that with our esteemed squads), but by god, you talk smack about Creighton, he would take a point blank shotgun blast to the chest, get up, sit back down on his bar stool, order another beer and keep the "dream" alive. And his loyalty to his fellow Big East brethren is a close second to his Blue Jays.

Scenario #1
Thursday or Friday/first rounds of March Madness. Xavier, Creighton, Marquette, are on the viewing itinerary for that day at Sneakers in Jax Beach (one of the better sports bars you will ever encounter/our 5 other teams play the next day). Games start at 12:00, indulging of adult beverages has commenced at least three hours earlier. Then some loud mouth red neck makes a comment how girly, stupid, and "gay" a Blue Jay is for a mascot. To make matters worse he calls our conference "The Big LEAST".

I picture Gtmo as being a perfectly nice, normal guy to hang out with. BUT, he is capable of this transformation. Please watch the clips.

Gtmos transformations:

https://youtu.be/JJeNvH2hmPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWRzPLzHJl0

Anytime you're in the Jax Fl area, let me know Gtmo.
Xavier
jaxalum

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:36 am

@DanWolken "I’ll say this. Several admins at ACC schools are worried that the Power 5 is really a Power 4 and they’re on the outside. This is a big deal"

@DanWolken "And that is not me interpreting. The term “Power 4” has been uttered to me by high ranking officials at multiple ACC schools."

@DanWolken "It’s not about the playoff. It’s about revenue. The ACC is No. 5"

@DanWolken "Again, it’s not the football product. The SEC $$ is getting bigger every year. The Big Ten is about to get paid. The ACC is falling behind."

Good, f--- the ACC.
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Postby milksteak » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:55 am

I could definitely see Florida State jumping ship to join the SEC. Clemson would be another likely target by the SEC I would imagine.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby stever20 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:58 am

the school that if they left would destroy the ACC quite frankly is Virginia. If they left(and VT would go as well)- you would have 1 group from North Carolina on down- and another group with Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame, and BC. It totally splits the conference apart.
stever20

Postby Xudash » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:56 pm

milksteak wrote:I could definitely see Florida State jumping ship to join the SEC. Clemson would be another likely target by the SEC I would imagine.

You do understand that Florida and Alabama, in particular, would never allow that to happen, right?
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:02 pm

Marquette n Jax...
My sister lives in Jax and as an old USN guy, I am familiar with the city. When I come up for a visit...I'll post a note.
Should be in LV for the Jays next month.

Would be great to hang out with fellow BE Folks.
indigdoc@gmail.com

;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:06 pm

Had not considered others leaving...mainly thinking in terms of UVA and one other AAU school to the B1G. However, should others (FSU, Clemson, Va Tch, etc.) bolt that would merely expedite the ACC demise. It is interesting that some there think they are behind the curve revenues wise.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Xudash » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:34 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Had not considered others leaving...mainly thinking in terms of UVA and one other AAU school to the B1G. However, should others (FSU, Clemson, Va Tch, etc.) bolt that would merely expedite the ACC demise. It is interesting that some there think they are behind the curve revenues wise.

They don't Think that they are behind the revenue curve. They know they are behind the revenue curve.

Since you are an old navy guy, and given that I am in Jacksonville as well, drinks on me for your service. We're you at Mayport or at the Naval Air Station (or at Cecil Field!)?
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:24 pm

Xudash - at NAS Jax, studied at DVECC (disease vector ecology control) "bug chasing".

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board