Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby Burrito » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:05 pm

The AAC will have more stability with its basketball coaches. Any time one of the 65 P5 schools is looking to replace a football coach though, the AAC will be one of the first places they look. Miami just fired Al Golden today.
Names like Tom Herman (Houston) and Justin Fuente (Memphis) will keep popping up. They have proven in a very short period of time (Herman is only in his first year) that they are solid head coaches.
Burrito

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby HoosierPal » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:40 pm

AACguy wrote:I sense some ill will toward the AAC here but generally speaking we are more alike than different. Heck I feel that anyone who isn't included among the P5 leagues should realize that. I will root for the Big East everytime you play a P5 team in any sport and would think many of you would do the same for our football teams.

Yes AAC, there are a few isolated individuals on here, that for whatever reason, are taking a negative stance towards the great national exposure the AAC is getting today for it's football program. I see no reason not to congratulate the league for what it is doing on the gridiron. We all know that football is what makes the NCAA tick, and the AAC is playing some fine football these days. Will the AAC have three ranked teams at the end of the season? No, as they will play each other, knocking all but possibly one from the ranks of the unbeaten. But why not congratulate the league. I have no reason to diminish your accomplishments.
HoosierPal

Postby NovaBall » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:19 pm

What is the AAC doing in football? It appears that halfway through the season they have a couple undefeated teams but that seems to be because some of their schools are beyond bad this year. sorry, but if temple is undefeated that is likely a product of the weak conference than them being decent.

The other problem that conference has is the institutional profile of its members sucks. Outside of UConn you have a bunch of commuter schools that are essentially glorified community college. They are all fourth or fifth fiddle in their own state school system. They tend to be far underfunded than other state flagship schools, and to see them operating in the red for athletics has to be driving people nuts as they neglect their educational missions. These type of schools traditional lack alumni support and the community atmosphere necessary for a passionate fan base.

Conference of Americans really sucks. Memphis and uconn have nice hoops programs. Cindy and temple can be respectable. The southern directional schools don't register on anybody's radar for anything. Their football teams will never do anything more than maybe crack the top 25 and make some crap bowl game that only degenerate gamblers care about. There is just nothing good that the conference offers. I have a lot more respect for thw Atlantic ten as they at least are focusing on their primary sport (most of them anyway)
Last edited by NovaBall on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
NovaBall

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:16 am

NJRedman wrote:
Edrick wrote:Of course they cannot sustain it in football. Anyway here are the conference football rankings.

1 SEC-WEST (A) = 84.02
2 BIG 12 (A) = 80.00
3 PAC-12(SOUTH) (A) = 79.48
4 PAC-12(NORTH) (A) = 78.32
5 SEC-EAST (A) = 77.03
6 ACC-COASTAL (A) = 76.89
7 BIG TEN-EAST (A) = 75.77
8 BIG TEN-WEST (A) = 75.66
9 I-A INDEPENDENTS (A) = 74.69
10 ACC-ATLANTIC (A) = 74.48
11 AAC WEST (A) = 67.54
12 AAC EAST (A) = 66.89
13 MWC-MOUNTAIN (A) = 64.29
14 MAC-WEST (A) = 63.12
15 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 58.86
16 MWC-WEST (A) = 58.30

The AAC is literally as close to the FCS Missouri Valley as they are to the worst of the P5.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sa ... onference/

Last year, the Missouri Valley was quite a bit better than the AAC.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sa ... onference/

What do you mean of course they can't sustain it? You do know they have now been bowl eligible under three straight coaches 4 times in the last 6 years. I think they can definitely sustain itself in the upper half of the AAC with a few titles/title game appearances. And if anyone holds a sliver of hope that UConn might one day rejoin us then rooting for Temple to succeed is the way to go. A Temple who becomes an AAC power is a sexy candidate for the ACC,

College football is a strange sport. Celebrating being "bowl eligible" is one of those things. In any other sport, having a .500 record or better in 4 of 6 years is not a cause for celebration.in fact, it means that the program is still struggling to become a consistent winner.

With regard to Temple, the fact that they've done it under 3 straight coaches means that they've had 3 different coaches within a 6 year period. That kind of coaching turnover in such a short time frame is not a good sign for a program either. Sustain it? Heck, this is the first time in the last 4 years they've had a winning record. They were 2-10 just 2 years ago. They had a nice little run for 3 years that ended in 2011. They hadn't had a winning season since going into this year, which means they haven't sustained anything.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:12 am

HoosierPal wrote:
AACguy wrote:I sense some ill will toward the AAC here but generally speaking we are more alike than different. Heck I feel that anyone who isn't included among the P5 leagues should realize that. I will root for the Big East everytime you play a P5 team in any sport and would think many of you would do the same for our football teams.

Yes AAC, there are a few isolated individuals on here, that for whatever reason, are taking a negative stance towards the great national exposure the AAC is getting today for it's football program. I see no reason not to congratulate the league for what it is doing on the gridiron. We all know that football is what makes the NCAA tick, and the AAC is playing some fine football these days. Will the AAC have three ranked teams at the end of the season? No, as they will play each other, knocking all but possibly one from the ranks of the unbeaten. But why not congratulate the league. I have no reason to diminish your accomplishments.

+1

Let the AAC continue to have success. Hell I hope Memphis gets into the playoffs haha. All it ultimately means is conference realignment moving at a much faster pace.
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:11 pm

@gordongee "Making my way to Dallas today for a meeting with other Big 12 presidents. Always look forward to seeing them."

"President of West Virginia University. Supporter of everything West Virginia. Proud father and grandfather. Bow tie enthusiast."

@theDudeofWV "Big 12 presidents will talk expansion in Dallas.'

Hopefully they wake up and realize that they need to expand so that the wheels can start turning again.
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Postby Vill » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:
@gordongee "Making my way to Dallas today for a meeting with other Big 12 presidents. Always look forward to seeing them."

"President of West Virginia University. Supporter of everything West Virginia. Proud father and grandfather. Bow tie enthusiast."

@theDudeofWV "Big 12 presidents will talk expansion in Dallas.'

Hopefully they wake up and realize that they need to expand so that the wheels can start turning again.

I do believe they NEED to discuss expansion considering the current NCAA we live in. The dominoes will start to fall again if they decide anything.
Vill

Postby Jet915 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:14 am

Well, if Baylor and TCU get left out again, they will expand.
Jet915

Postby NJRedman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:48 am

NovaBall wrote:What is the AAC doing in football? It appears that halfway through the season they have a couple undefeated teams but that seems to be because some of their schools are beyond bad this year. sorry, but if temple is undefeated that is likely a product of the weak conference than them being decent.

The other problem that conference has is the institutional profile of its members sucks. Outside of UConn you have a bunch of commuter schools that are essentially glorified community college. They are all fourth or fifth fiddle in their own state school system. They tend to be far underfunded than other state flagship schools, and to see them operating in the red for athletics has to be driving people nuts as they neglect their educational missions. These type of schools traditional lack alumni support and the community atmosphere necessary for a passionate fan base.

Conference of Americans really sucks. Memphis and uconn have nice hoops programs. Cindy and temple can be respectable. The southern directional schools don't register on anybody's radar for anything. Their football teams will never do anything more than maybe crack the top 25 and make some crap bowl game that only degenerate gamblers care about. There is just nothing good that the conference offers. I have a lot more respect for thw Atlantic ten as they at least are focusing on their primary sport (most of them anyway)

Well Temple beat Penn State and has Notre Dame coming into town this weekend so if they run the table it will be because they are a good team.
NJRedman

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:52 am

@theDudeofWV Big 12 presidents meeting where expansion will be discussed

@theDudeofWV There is a slight chance the Big 12 could decide to expand. Say 2%. If it did the invites would go to BYU and Memphis.

@theDudeofWV Of course for Cincy and USF the 98% chance the Big 12 will do nothing should be of comfort.

@theDudeofWV I get the vibe that the run by Memphis might push the Big 12 to act.

Where does UConn go? Imagine them being stuck in AAC without Memphis/Cincy
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board