Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:06 pm

NovaBall wrote:You are wrong. Fox national games are like the CBS national games, much more valuable than any single espn game, even the weekend espn game day slot. And I, not talking about the casual college hoops fan throwing on espn, but rather the casual TV viewer who puts in whatever is on the lower network slots. My grandmother will see nova on fox or CBS and maybe keep it on because she knows I would be watching, she sure as heck doesn't even know where espn is located on the dial. But I'm not going to legitimize your post with anymore of a response because this is clearly too complex for you.

What dayton board do you regularly post on?

Sorry but the ratings just do not bare that out. Last year the top 10 games regular season- 7 were on ESPN or ESPN2(and 7 of the top 8). The 8 games important- as those were the only 8 with more than 3 million viewers. 22/33 games that got 2 million viewers were on cable. So of the top 43 games, 29 were on ESPN or ESPN2. 3 of the 14 games that got 2 million plus- Big Ten tourney.

And my point- a casual TV viewer generally isn't a sports fan. They would see a basketball game and just turn it off.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hoopfan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:38 pm

NovaBall wrote:You are wrong. Fox national games are like the CBS national games, much more valuable than any single espn game, even the weekend espn game day slot. And I, not talking about the casual college hoops fan throwing on espn, but rather the casual TV viewer who puts in whatever is on the lower network slots. My grandmother will see nova on fox or CBS and maybe keep it on because she knows I would be watching, she sure as heck doesn't even know where espn is located on the dial. But I'm not going to legitimize your post with anymore of a response because this is clearly too complex for you.

Sorry but you are wrong. The only time I go to Fox, CBS, ABC, etc on directv is when I know NFL is on or I want to watch my sunday night cartoons. I always start at channel 206 when I want to search what is on TV as that is where the sports channels are. Hell, even my wife who hates watching sports starts at channel 200 and never looks to see whats on "Basic Cable"
Hoopfan

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:04 pm

Hoopfan wrote:

Sorry but you are wrong. The only time I go to Fox, CBS, ABC, etc on directv is when I know NFL is on or I want to watch my sunday night cartoons. I always start at channel 206 when I want to search what is on TV as that is where the sports channels are. Hell, even my wife who hates watching sports starts at channel 200 and never looks to see whats on "Basic Cable"

Either way, its a good problem to have no? Are we televised nationally on FOX or Fox sports 1? I think Dayton is on channel 10.2 this year?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Hoopfan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:26 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Hoopfan wrote:

Either way, its a good problem to have no? Are we televised nationally on FOX or Fox sports 1? I think Dayton is on channel 10.2 this year?

No idea what channel they are on and what does dayton have to do with this? For complaining about people bringing dayton up you sure seem to like to talk about em
Hoopfan

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:35 pm

Hoopfan wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
Hoopfan wrote:Sorry but you are wrong. The only time I go to Fox, CBS, ABC, etc on directv is when I know NFL is on or I want to watch my sunday night cartoons. I always start at channel 206 when I want to search what is on TV as that is where the sports channels are. Hell, even my wife who hates watching sports starts at channel 200 and never looks to see whats on "Basic Cable"

No idea what channel they are on and what does dayton have to do with this? For complaining about people bringing dayton up you sure seem to like to talk about em

Its to give perspective. Almost all of our games are nationally televised. And this year more are on big Fox. Lots of conferences only get their marquee teams nationally televised and some aren't even afforded that luxury.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby MUPanther » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Hoopfan wrote:

The only time I go to Fox, CBS, ABC, etc on directv is when I know NFL is on or I want to watch my sunday night cartoons. I always start at channel 206 when I want to search what is on TV as that is where the sports channels are. "

So, you don't watch college football?
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 pm

MUPanther wrote:
Hoopfan wrote:

The only time I go to Fox, CBS, ABC, etc on directv is when I know NFL is on or I want to watch my sunday night cartoons. I always start at channel 206 when I want to search what is on TV as that is where the sports channels are. "

So, you don't watch college football?

Yeah for college football- network is much more important. It's a very rare situation like last weekend where the Michigan/Michigan St game was the highest ranked game of the weekend. Very rare- like maybe 1-2 times a season. But basketball- just by the volume- network is a lot less important. Basketball fans can't automatically turn onto network and see a game- let alone 4-5 games like we see in football. Just a lot less important than football.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:13 pm

well, doesn't look like Fox is going to catch a break for the World Series with the Cubs down 3-0. Of course- at least this time they get the consolation prize of getting the #1 market with New York(and the help of Toronto down 3-1 as well will help some as well)..
stever20

Postby NovaBall » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:08 pm

I'm sure the kid in the Bronx living in a 2 bedroom apartment with his 3 siblings starts his channel viewing in the 200's....

I always viewed the CBS games as bigger ticket items than ESPN games, even big Monday or game day. I still do. And the fox games are even better because they aren't split regionally.

And for casual TV viewers you would much rather have your team aired in CBS or main fox than ESPN. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either a fool or a Dayton troll like stever.
NovaBall

Postby stever20 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:23 pm

NovaBall wrote:I'm sure the kid in the Bronx living in a 2 bedroom apartment with his 3 siblings starts his channel viewing in the 200's....

I always viewed the CBS games as bigger ticket items than ESPN games, even big Monday or game day. I still do. And the fox games are even better because they aren't split regionally.

And for casual TV viewers you would much rather have your team aired in CBS or main fox than ESPN. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either a fool or a Dayton troll like stever.

The top rated college basketball game of all time- Georgetown/St John's- was on ESPN. That should tell you everything. Regularly with the old Big East- you would have always top games on Big Monday.

Sorry- but to a lot of folks younger than 40- ESPN for sports is at least the equal to CBS or any of the networks.

Especially for college basketball- which has really never had the biggest network presence.

And the point as well- if it's a casual sports fan- you're darn right that they would likely start their search on ESPN. Or the local regional sports network. Just about the last place they would start the search is on the networks. if it's a casual viewer- they aren't a sports fan, and wouldn't stop to watch anything sports related.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board