Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby NJRedman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:18 pm

He has 21k posts on the other board and over 4k posts here. It's insane how much he posts.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NovaBall » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Fs1 still needs to get on lower tier cable packages. Fox has a regional sports station in my basic cable, they should try to switch that with fs1. Until that happens the ratings will always sag a bit.
NovaBall

Postby stever20 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:40 pm

NovaBall wrote:Fs1 still needs to get on lower tier cable packages. Fox has a regional sports station in my basic cable, they should try to switch that with fs1. Until that happens the ratings will always sag a bit.

The thing is more folks care about their regional sports station than FS1.
stever20

Postby ChelseaFriar » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:12 pm

NovaBall wrote:Fs1 still needs to get on lower tier cable packages. Fox has a regional sports station in my basic cable, they should try to switch that with fs1. Until that happens the ratings will always sag a bit.

Didn't realize FS1 wasn't on most packages. I have a normal Time Warner package and have had it from the start.

The location of the channel has improved on TW when they moved it this past year but it's sill not great,
ChelseaFriar

Postby NovaBall » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:07 am

Yeah, you need the digital box to get fs1 where I live. I live out west, and our basic package has 5 sports stations. Nbcsn, ESPN, espn2, fox sports west (currently filling dead air with world pocker tour) and some local public access type station that airs a lot of surfing and random non-revenue local college sports. It doesn't matter for me, as my primary Tvs have a digital box, but I cannot watch fs1 on the other TV.

A lot of my friends are so dependent on Internet stream for TV entertainment that they don't have anything more than basic cable. That means fs1 doesn't even exist in their radar.

Fs1 will never realistically catch even espn2 until it gets in the local packages. I was hoping they would have it by year 3, but no luck yet.

This is also why the big network fox games are so huge. Those games are gold and worth more than any ESPN time slot. Not because of ratings, but because of exposure and access for casual viewers.
NovaBall

Postby stever20 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:29 am

NovaBall wrote:Yeah, you need the digital box to get fs1 where I live. I live out west, and our basic package has 5 sports stations. Nbcsn, ESPN, espn2, fox sports west (currently filling dead air with world pocker tour) and some local public access type station that airs a lot of surfing and random non-revenue local college sports. It doesn't matter for me, as my primary Tvs have a digital box, but I cannot watch fs1 on the other TV.

A lot of my friends are so dependent on Internet stream for TV entertainment that they don't have anything more than basic cable. That means fs1 doesn't even exist in their radar.

Fs1 will never realistically catch even espn2 until it gets in the local packages. I was hoping they would have it by year 3, but no luck yet.

This is also why the big network fox games are so huge. Those games are gold and worth more than any ESPN time slot. Not because of ratings, but because of exposure and access for casual viewers.

For College Basketball games on ESPN are pretty much the exact same as games on network. ESPN is on basic cable pretty much everywhere. That's the big difference between ESPN and FS1 right now.

One thing that is good is that our teams have a lot of road games on ESPN this year.
stever20

Postby marquette » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:02 am

I have Uverse. I had their most basic package which included no sports channels whatsoever. I recently went up to the next tier which includes ESPN, NBCSN, FSWI, FS1, and FS2. No CBSSN.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby NovaBall » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:59 am

First, nobody here cares about the regional fox sports west coverage. It is mainly poker tournaments and clippers and la kings games. The clippers and kings have no following where I live. Fs1 has uefa, MLB playoffs, etc... Much better content.

Anyone who would compare a ESPN broadcast to a fox national broadcast is a nuts. And I'm not talking about ratings either, as I under stand certain ESPN games are going to have huge ratings due to the fan bases of the teams. In terms of casual viewer access, as in not even college hoops fans but the person who just puts in the TV and something happens to be on, the fox national games are huge.

Oh wait, that was our Dayton fan troll, stever, making that post. Sorry for wasting the bandwidth responding to that guy.
NovaBall

Postby stever20 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:56 pm

NovaBall wrote:First, nobody here cares about the regional fox sports west coverage. It is mainly poker tournaments and clippers and la kings games. The clippers and kings have no following where I live. Fs1 has uefa, MLB playoffs, etc... Much better content.

Anyone who would compare a ESPN broadcast to a fox national broadcast is a nuts. And I'm not talking about ratings either, as I under stand certain ESPN games are going to have huge ratings due to the fan bases of the teams. In terms of casual viewer access, as in not even college hoops fans but the person who just puts in the TV and something happens to be on, the fox national games are huge.

Oh wait, that was our Dayton fan troll, stever, making that post. Sorry for wasting the bandwidth responding to that guy.

The thing is- for a lot of folks- Clippers/Kings games means way more than what FS1 has. Especially for someone with just basic service. Yeah dead in summer/early fall- but Oct-May- it's got stuff almost every night.

Also with regards to ESPN vs Big Fox- a casual person isn't going to stop to watch a basketball game. But, for a casual sports fan, they look at ESPN quite frankly now for sports before they look at network tv. And, it's even more pronounced for basketball, where there's really so few games on network tv compared to ESPN. I mean- CBS has 38 games this year. Fox has 15 games this year. So 53 network games. ESPN meanwhile has 55 games before end of January on ESPN alone- with a LOT more games on ESPN2.
stever20

Postby NovaBall » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:43 am

You are wrong. Fox national games are like the CBS national games, much more valuable than any single espn game, even the weekend espn game day slot. And I, not talking about the casual college hoops fan throwing on espn, but rather the casual TV viewer who puts in whatever is on the lower network slots. My grandmother will see nova on fox or CBS and maybe keep it on because she knows I would be watching, she sure as heck doesn't even know where espn is located on the dial. But I'm not going to legitimize your post with anymore of a response because this is clearly too complex for you.

What dayton board do you regularly post on?
NovaBall

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board