Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:01 am

It's more that the NL has like the perfect lineup. You get Mets/Dodgers and Cards/Cubs- that's as good of a playoff set up as could possibly happen. It'd be like in the AL with Yanks, Angels, White Sox, and Red Sox.

To say that the teams involved don't make a difference is rather ignorant. Of course the teams matter. In anything the teams matter. I mean, last nights New York/Houston wild card game was up 50% from last years game with small markets Oakland and Kansas City. I dare say that New York being involved had a little something to do with it.

Like awful announcing says talking about the ESPN Wild Card game....
That’s tremendous news for ESPN and for Major League Baseball, which has seen a lot of positive momentum on both local and national scales. The question now becomes whether that momentum will carry over into the rest of the postseason without one of the biggest draws in sports. The AL field doesn’t contain a lot of traditional national namebrands (Royals, Rangers, Blue Jays, Astros) but it does contain a lot of great stories. Hopefully MLB can count on those stories developing and driving viewers the rest of the way.

like it or not- the group in the AL playoffs now aren't name brands, while all of the NL are name brands(Cubs, Cards, Dodgers, Mets).

I never ONCE said that it's a disaster for FS1. What I said if you go back is that Fox caught a bad break with the group of teams that they got this season, especially compared to the great group that the NL gave TBS. You don't have to look at every last thing with rose colored glasses like you always want to do. You and Redman want to take anything I say that isn't 1000% positive for FS1 and make it seem like I'm destroying them.

I could say the sky is blue- and you would find fault with it.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:05 am

R Jay wrote:
billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:Now that's a first I've ever heard- Tampa having great TV interest. That's comical. I don't know what planet you are on, but Tampa is hardly a baseball bastion. What would be great for the AL frankly is Yankees/Red Sox being good again. That's the big difference. The big boys in the NL are doing really well- first time in 9 years that LA/NY in the playoffs the same year- and never have LA, NY, and Chicago been there in the same year.

AL outscored NL 4.39 per team per game to 4.11. Not that big of a difference at all.

also ratings for one league don't automatically transfer to the other league at all. They sure as hell don't translate like you say.

Exactly, Tampa and Oakland are considered to be a small market teams. Much more so than Texas and Houston. Yet Tampa and Oakland have been perennial playoff contenders over the last 5-10-15 years, and ratings were still good. Kansas City has a likeable team, and gets better attendance than both TB and Oakland.

So what's your point in all this? The AL playoffs will get around the same amount of viewership as typical, or a little less because the Red Sox, Yankees and Angels are out of it. But like the NBA, fans often watch to see the specific athletes as much as to see the specific teams.

Also, 4.39 to 4.11 is a huge difference. It's a quarter of a run per team per game. What's that, 500 more runs a year in the American League? Plus subtract out the 81 games played at Coors. Without Denver the NL would probably be under 4. 11% of an NL batting order is filled by a pitcher who hits .082, or a sucky pinch hitter like John Mabry. Zzzzzzz.

Funny, I never took you as an AL guy, Billyjack. I always thought of you as a traditionalist, pitcher in the order, not on the bench guy.

Ha, thanks RJay.
I grew up watching the Red Sox and only saw AL teams, so i got used to the DH. The only NL games i got in the 70's were those great Saturday games on NBC with Joe Garagiola. I always thought astroturf sucked and was non-traditionalist and half the NL played on it, while the AL had 10-11 teams playing on grass.
Providence
billyjack

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:59 am

Katie Nolan's show seems to be getting good reviews and got a lot of press for these comments last night.

(Side note, its sad that Cowherds show has been given the 5-6 slot just to recap the show)

Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:22 am

If you think markets don't matter.....

top 2 rated Wild Card games ever(albeit in 4 years).
AL game up 48% from last year.(KC/Oak)
NL game up 34% from last year.(SF/Pit)
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:52 am

stever20 wrote:It's more that the NL has like the perfect lineup. You get Mets/Dodgers and Cards/Cubs- that's as good of a playoff set up as could possibly happen. It'd be like in the AL with Yanks, Angels, White Sox, and Red Sox.

To say that the teams involved don't make a difference is rather ignorant. Of course the teams matter. In anything the teams matter. I mean, last nights New York/Houston wild card game was up 50% from last years game with small markets Oakland and Kansas City. I dare say that New York being involved had a little something to do with it.

That’s tremendous news for ESPN and for Major League Baseball, which has seen a lot of positive momentum on both local and national scales. The question now becomes whether that momentum will carry over into the rest of the postseason without one of the biggest draws in sports. The AL field doesn’t contain a lot of traditional national namebrands (Royals, Rangers, Blue Jays, Astros) but it does contain a lot of great stories. Hopefully MLB can count on those stories developing and driving viewers the rest of the way.

like it or not- the group in the AL playoffs now aren't name brands, while all of the NL are name brands(Cubs, Cards, Dodgers, Mets).

I never ONCE said that it's a disaster for FS1. What I said if you go back is that Fox caught a bad break with the group of teams that they got this season, especially compared to the great group that the NL gave TBS. You don't have to look at every last thing with rose colored glasses like you always want to do. You and Redman want to take anything I say that isn't 1000% positive for FS1 and make it seem like I'm destroying them.

Hahahahahahaha thats funny because FS1 could say the sky is blue and you'd be on here telling us how ESPN/TBS gave such a better description of the vivid colors. You're pathetic, but please don't let me get in your way while you spin the MLB playoffs into a negative. Oh and the AL has two top ten TV markets in the playoffs.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:14 pm

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:It's more that the NL has like the perfect lineup. You get Mets/Dodgers and Cards/Cubs- that's as good of a playoff set up as could possibly happen. It'd be like in the AL with Yanks, Angels, White Sox, and Red Sox.

Hahahahahahaha thats funny because FS1 could say the sky is blue and you'd be on here telling us how ESPN/TBS gave such a better description of the vivid colors. You're pathetic, but please don't let me get in your way while you spin the MLB playoffs into a negative. Oh and the AL has two top ten TV markets in the playoffs.

And the NL has the top 3, and the 4th one is #21(and a rival to Chicago). NL has brand names this year, AL doesn't.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:29 pm

NJRedman wrote:Yeah except Toronto is one of the most exciting teams to watch this year. All they do is hit HR's and people love that shit. Oh and Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America and Dallas is the 4th biggest TV market in the US

Texas doesn't get the ratings in it's own market.
From last Thursday night.
9.1 to 5.6. Early Thursday DFW TV ratings: Balt-Pitt on TNF tops Rangers win over Angels to clinch playoff berth.
Last edited by MUPanther on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:32 pm

and if you think I'm the only one saying anything close to this:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnist ... 1.10937181

If on Opening Day you had invited Turner executives to name their dream matchups, then spiked their hot cocoas with Sodium Pentathol, the answer would have gone something like this: Cubs vs. Cardinals, Mets vs. Dodgers.

and my favorite:
Hey, at least Toronto is a big, famous city, one that sets the media agenda for all of Canada. Alas, it turns out Canada has its own TV networks. For Fox, having Torontonians watch postseason games has about as much effect on ratings as having Martians do so.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:30 pm

stever20 wrote:and if you think I'm the only one saying anything close to this:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnist ... 1.10937181

If on Opening Day you had invited Turner executives to name their dream matchups, then spiked their hot cocoas with Sodium Pentathol, the answer would have gone something like this: Cubs vs. Cardinals, Mets vs. Dodgers.

and my favorite:
Hey, at least Toronto is a big, famous city, one that sets the media agenda for all of Canada. Alas, it turns out Canada has its own TV networks. For Fox, having Torontonians watch postseason games has about as much effect on ratings as having Martians do so.

Once again you are making this into a negative. You're really really sad. Oh and btw there are a lot of Canadians in the states especially in big markets like NYC, LA and Chicago.

But hey keep being a douche who spins everything fox does as a negative.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:05 pm

dude don't know what to say. The Media is making it out to be a negative. Turner has the dream scenario, while Fox has close to the worst case scenario. You'd have to work to have much of a worse group of teams. And lets say this- a series between Houston and Texas would be awful for ratings. 2 teams that most folks don't give a damn about. Casual fans would turn out of that so fast.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board