Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby marquette » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:32 pm

Probably made it an easier sell that Creighton had 9 NCAA tourney appearances since 1999, 17,000+ in average attendance, the best player in the country, a history of producing NBA talent, and made us look like we were taking a major program from a mid-major conference (rather than just fusing with the A10). Certainly didn't hurt that there was a connection, though.

For reference, Dayton had 4 NCAAs during that period, SLU 3.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Hey Fieldhouse Flyer. Stop posting like a robot. Lacking emotion doesn't make your arguments better, just more boring.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:12 pm

Anyone arguing that we should have taken Dayton over Creighton is wrong. For the 234322 time we don't need Xavier lite in the conference. Georgetown is not going to have the Midwest schools out number the eastern school.

We shouldn't expand until all the FBS bullsh-- is handled.
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:Anyone arguing that we should have taken Dayton over Creighton is wrong. For the 234322 time we don't need Xavier lite in the conference. Georgetown is not going to have the Midwest schools out number the eastern school.

Well said by a Hoya insider. Case closed.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby NJRedman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:57 pm

stever20 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
DemonLS wrote:Golden,

You are a little ignorant and probably younger too. The groundbreaking has already begun! I have driven by there. Yes, politics is a little different in Chicago but it has already started.

St. John's has completely underachieved so far. Lets just see how great of a coach Chris Mullin is first before anointing him.

And BTW, Buzz Williams was running a very dirty program but MU did a wonderful job "hiding" all those problems up there in little Milwaukee.....but MU won games and that is all that matters.

We've been to two NCAA tournys in the last five years. Not great but not DePaul level of underachieving.

but you choked in the tourney!

Losing to a hire seed isn't choking numbnuts
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:22 pm

falcon wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
falcon wrote:I do not know the people in charge at DePaul, but fixing things might best be served by replacing the Vincentian president with a talented layman. The rebirth at SJU started the day they got rid of the incompetent, grifting Vincentian, Harrington. The right president will appoint the right AD, who will hire the right coach. This conference needs all ten members being competitive, drawing good crowds, which will make for better TV ratings. Any talk of expansion, division configuration, etc. should be delayed until all the current programs are healthy. Best wishes for both DePaul and Seton Hall. We will sink or swim together.

Stop bringing up divisions, they aren't happening. Seriously, no respectable conference uses them. Not even when they were at 12 members, and once again we had divisions for a very short time and no one liked them and they were done away with.

You know, the division issue is something that is not a pressing issue, nor is it something I have any definitive opinion about. I remember when the old big east was very successful as a two-division, 12 school conference. Now, maybe one division has more upside. The schools and Fox, not you, will make that call. In the meantime, stop telling me what I'm allowed to say in my post. You are one of the most argumentative personalities on this otherwise pretty civilized site.

Oh so now I can't tell you that your idea is never going to happen because of evidence I provided that divisions don't work in D1? Yes the schools will make that decision not you so stop throwing out a stupid idea. Stop telling me what I'm allowed to say in my post.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:25 pm

Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:Anyone arguing that we should have taken Dayton over Creighton is wrong. For the 234322 time we don't need Xavier lite in the conference. Georgetown is not going to have the Midwest schools out number the eastern school.

I don't get this idea that we need the conference geographically balanced. It's not like if it's 7-5 in favor of the Midwest they are gonna move the tourney to Chicago or something.
NJRedman

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Not sure how the current presidents would feel, I would would rank institution, basketball prestige and location (big city) over preference towards an east coast school in expansion. Ideally, we would get lots of east coast schools, but there just aren't any worth taking. You can't take what's not there.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby R Jay » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:38 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Not sure how the current presidents would feel, I would would rank institution, basketball prestige and location (big city) over preference towards an east coast school in expansion. Ideally, we would get lots of east coast schools, but there just aren't any worth taking. You can't take what's not there.

Exactly.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby booyah » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Theres a couple of reasons why there could be a preference for east coast schools from a Georgetown (and I assume Eastern block) perspective -

travel costs to all sports programs- (financial/athletes' class time), alumni presence/interaction (and linked alumni donations), better name recognition for eastern schools which helps with things like recruiting etc.

Having said all that, GoldenWarriors point -

"I would rank institution, basketball prestige and location (big city) over preference towards an east coast school in expansion. Ideally, we would get lots of east coast schools, but there just aren't any worth taking."

is clearly right - we just added Xavier, Butler and Creighton for those very reasons.

There are plenty of great institutions in great locations - Fordham/Duquesne/Northeastern/BU and even Richmond/Davidson. Its the bball prestige/success thats missing. And on that front, theres just an overall dearth of good candidates, not just in the East. its not like St. Louis is particularly lighting it up. Dayton isnt bad bball-wise, but their candidacy has other problems.
booyah

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board