Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:44 am

NJRedman wrote:
falcon wrote:I do not know the people in charge at DePaul, but fixing things might best be served by replacing the Vincentian president with a talented layman. The rebirth at SJU started the day they got rid of the incompetent, grifting Vincentian, Harrington. The right president will appoint the right AD, who will hire the right coach. This conference needs all ten members being competitive, drawing good crowds, which will make for better TV ratings. Any talk of expansion, division configuration, etc. should be delayed until all the current programs are healthy. Best wishes for both DePaul and Seton Hall. We will sink or swim together.

Stop bringing up divisions, they aren't happening. Seriously, no respectable conference uses them. Not even when they were at 12 members, and once again we had divisions for a very short time and no one liked them and they were done away with.

NJRedman and I don't agree on much at all, but this is the one thing that we do. I have a greater chance of being a mod on this board lauded by billyjack and NJRedman- than the Big East has of going to divisions. It's a complete no way, no how, not going to happen in a zillion years type of thing. Now they might add 2 teams and like the schedule looks like divisions to some degree with 6 eastern schools always playing 2x, and then of the 6 western schools like 2 h2h and 4 single matchups. But, it's not a formalized type of thing. That's as close as the Big East ever will to go for divisions.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:44 am

NJRedman wrote:
DemonLS wrote:Golden,

You are a little ignorant and probably younger too. The groundbreaking has already begun! I have driven by there. Yes, politics is a little different in Chicago but it has already started.

St. John's has completely underachieved so far. Lets just see how great of a coach Chris Mullin is first before anointing him.

And BTW, Buzz Williams was running a very dirty program but MU did a wonderful job "hiding" all those problems up there in little Milwaukee.....but MU won games and that is all that matters.

We've been to two NCAA tournys in the last five years. Not great but not DePaul level of underachieving.

but you choked in the tourney!
stever20

Postby falcon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:23 pm

NJRedman wrote:
falcon wrote:I do not know the people in charge at DePaul, but fixing things might best be served by replacing the Vincentian president with a talented layman. The rebirth at SJU started the day they got rid of the incompetent, grifting Vincentian, Harrington. The right president will appoint the right AD, who will hire the right coach. This conference needs all ten members being competitive, drawing good crowds, which will make for better TV ratings. Any talk of expansion, division configuration, etc. should be delayed until all the current programs are healthy. Best wishes for both DePaul and Seton Hall. We will sink or swim together.

Stop bringing up divisions, they aren't happening. Seriously, no respectable conference uses them. Not even when they were at 12 members, and once again we had divisions for a very short time and no one liked them and they were done away with.

You know, the division issue is something that is not a pressing issue, nor is it something I have any definitive opinion about. I remember when the old big east was very successful as a two-division, 12 school conference. Now, maybe one division has more upside. The schools and Fox, not you, will make that call. In the meantime, stop telling me what I'm allowed to say in my post. You are one of the most argumentative personalities on this otherwise pretty civilized site.
falcon

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:16 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
Xudash wrote:
UD makes no sense due to its location and TV market.

Nielson - Local Television Market Universe Estimates - Effective September 26, 2015
64. Dayton
74. Omaha

No comment.

So how does it make UD fans feel to know that the BIGEAST went way out of their footprint to add a school in a smaller market? Almost like they don't want you is how it seems to me.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:41 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
Xudash wrote:
UD makes no sense due to its location and TV market.

Nielson - Local Television Market Universe Estimates - Effective September 26, 2015
64. Dayton
74. Omaha

No comment.

So how does it make UD fans feel to know that the BIGEAST went way out of their footprint to add a school in a smaller market? Almost like they don't want you is how it seems to me.

I think that's where they got the whole "jesuit mafia" thing from. I don't know exactly how it played out but I know your president went to MU for undergrad and worked here so he made a call to Father Wild (MU's former president) to see if we could pull some strings to get you guys in. Life's all about who you know.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:52 pm

MUBoxer wrote:I think that's where they got the whole "jesuit mafia" thing from. I don't know exactly how it played out but I know your president went to MU for undergrad and worked here so he made a call to Father Wild (MU's former president) to see if we could pull some strings to get you guys in. Life's all about who you know.

Fr. Lannon actually went to Creighton for undergrad but I think he was on the Board of Directors at Marquette. No question that his Jesuit connections as well as those he made while President of St. Joe's helped start the conversation on behalf of CU.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:I think that's where they got the whole "jesuit mafia" thing from. I don't know exactly how it played out but I know your president went to MU for undergrad and worked here so he made a call to Father Wild (MU's former president) to see if we could pull some strings to get you guys in. Life's all about who you know.

Fr. Lannon actually went to Creighton for undergrad but I think he was on the Board of Directors at Marquette. No question that his Jesuit connections as well as those he made while President of St. Joe's helped start the conversation on behalf of CU.

Who is Hendrickson then? All I know is I remember reading an article way back when about your guy calling our guy our guy lobbying for your school then our guy calling your guy to say congrats to your school for joining our school in the new conference.

http://m.omaha.com/news/metro/the-rev-d ... l?mode=jqm

Edit: it's because Lannon is on the board of directors at MU. This was the article http://m.omaha.com/news/big-east-how-cr ... l?mode=jqm
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby whiteandblue77 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:00 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
I think that's where they got the whole "jesuit mafia" thing from. I don't know exactly how it played out but I know your president went to MU for undergrad and worked here so he made a call to Father Wild (MU's former president) to see if we could pull some strings to get you guys in. Life's all about who you know.

I have no problem knowing the Jays got in riding our Jebbie ties, which sadly breaks the hearts of our Billiken Bros even more knowing that the "Jesuit Mafia" rejected them.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:01 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:

I have no problem knowing the Jays got in riding our Jebbie ties, which sadly breaks the hearts of our Billiken Bros even more knowing that the "Jesuit Mafia" rejected them. :D

Could you imagine if SLU and Gonzaga or even Loyola Chicago were taken over Dayton? They'd have a heart attack of jesuit conspiracies.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Jet915 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:04 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:

Who is Hendrickson then? All I know is I remember reading an article way back when about your guy calling our guy our guy lobbying for your school then our guy calling your guy to say congrats to your school for joining our school in the new conference.

http://m.omaha.com/news/metro/the-rev-d ... l?mode=jqm

Edit: it's because Lannon is on the board of directors at MU. This was the article http://m.omaha.com/news/big-east-how-cr ... l?mode=jqm

Hendrickson is our new president (who happened to come from Marquette). Lannon is stepping down due to health reasons but he obviously made a huge impact at Creighton during his short tenure...
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board