Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby AACguy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:51 am

Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:Problem is the football schools that want out are also the powers in basketball. Cincy/Memphis/Uconn are always brought up in realignment discussions. AAC will be forced to bring in more football schools that might not have quality basketball programs. Maybe the bottom of the league will finally start improving but I dont see how the future of the AAC is good basketball wise.

I can't dismiss that but I also think that if you aren't in one of the P5 leagues, every school has their senses on high alert for the first sign of dangerous movement. I'd rather the AAC be proactive basketball-wise so that if a football revolution occurs we can sustain our relative strength.

Food for thought: http://aacmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72
AACguy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:31 am

Like Frank the Tank always says, fans always look at current on the court success while the presidents are looking at more than that. It's about what you bring to the table when you are down and everyone will eventually be down. Marquette is a great program who has had great success and even they are dealing with a down period. it happens to every program even blue bloods. Look at texas in FB right now. They stink! Would every single conference take them right now? You bet because it's about what you bring to the table besides on the court/field success. SLU is in a big market and is a perfect institutional fit. Even if they finish last it's a spot someone was going to finish in. Crews isn't long for SLU so this down turn isn't guaranteed to continue.

If Dayton keeps winning and keeps packing the stands it's going to be hard to ignore them.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:58 am

NJRedman wrote:Like Frank the Tank always says, fans always look at current on the court success while the presidents are looking at more than that. It's about what you bring to the table when you are down and everyone will eventually be down. Marquette is a great program who has had great success and even they are dealing with a down period. it happens to every program even blue bloods. Look at texas in FB right now. They stink! Would every single conference take them right now? You bet because it's about what you bring to the table besides on the court/field success. SLU is in a big market and is a perfect institutional fit. Even if they finish last it's a spot someone was going to finish in. Crews isn't long for SLU so this down turn isn't guaranteed to continue.

If Dayton keeps winning and keeps packing the stands it's going to be hard to ignore them.

The thing with SLU- until they aren't putrid, they can't be added. You just don't add a team who is #250 in the RPI.

Also, you can not compare Marquette's down period to SLU's. They aren't even remotely close. SLU barely was in the top 300 in RPI. Marquette was close to .500 and had a 150ish RPI. That's apples to oranges. Also, Marquette has a new coach who brought in a top 10 recruiting class. Crews on the other hand??? It's pretty moronic to compare those 2 down periods.
stever20

Postby R Jay » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:05 pm

stever20 wrote:The problem with SLU is that the man responsible for their really good senior class from 2 years ago is no longer with us, and the man at the helm right now is not a good coach at all. SLU has got to get back to being respectable before they would have a chance IMO.

I'd say this as well, if SLU and Dayton's performances were opposite- with SLU having performed like Dayton the last 8 years- they would quite possibly be in the Big East now.

I love how you don't give any credit to Crews for the 2014-15 season. Sure, he didn't recruit those seniors, but he did coach that team as he did the 2012-13 team. That counts for something.
Last year's recruiting class was very deep and talented - probably will end up being better than the Class of 2015.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby stever20 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:11 pm

R Jay wrote:
stever20 wrote:The problem with SLU is that the man responsible for their really good senior class from 2 years ago is no longer with us, and the man at the helm right now is not a good coach at all. SLU has got to get back to being respectable before they would have a chance IMO.

I'd say this as well, if SLU and Dayton's performances were opposite- with SLU having performed like Dayton the last 8 years- they would quite possibly be in the Big East now.

I love how you don't give any credit to Crews for the 2014-15 season. Sure, he didn't recruit those seniors, but he did coach that team as he did the 2012-13 team. That counts for something.
Last year's recruiting class was very deep and talented - probably will end up being better than the Class of 2015.

Sorry but I really don't. They were all Majerus kids. If the recruiting classes are as good as you say they are- they'll improve a lot.

SLU has got to get back to being respectable before they could think about getting in.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:26 pm

stever20 wrote:
R Jay wrote:

Sorry but I really don't. They were all Majerus kids. If the recruiting classes are as good as you say they are- they'll improve a lot.

SLU has got to get back to being respectable before they could think about getting in.

Once again, you keep harping on current on the field/court success. It's about more than that and you know it. I know you know it because I know Frank has told you it personally at least a half dozen times over the years.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:48 pm

I'm not saying SLU has to even get back to making the tourney. Not at all. But they aren't going to get added when their RPI is close to 300. They have to be competent. And right now, they aren't competent.
stever20

Postby R Jay » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:49 pm

stever20 wrote:
R Jay wrote:

So, you're saying that the kids draw up the offense and defense? That they are responsible for their conditioning and lifting? Decide who plays and who sits? Is responsible for filling scholarships?
Forgive my skepticism.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby stever20 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Sorry- but go ask any SLU fan about how good of a coach Crews is. They wanted him gone before he got the full time job even. They think he's awful.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:03 pm

AACguy wrote:I'd rather the AAC be proactive basketball-wise so that if a football revolution occurs we can sustain our relative strength.

I doubt that is the league's stance. Football is their moneymaker and you have a halfway-decent football league. I guess UMASS would be a good pick.

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:Something something look how good Dayton is

Dayton has had a great 2-year run. But here is the thing, Dayton isn't going anywhere. Big East should take its time and see how we do on our own and if Dayton maintains its level of success after Archie and we need a 12th team. Then we can get them. No rush.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board