Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby Xudash » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:04 am

stever20 wrote:
Xudash wrote:
Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:@theDudeofWV -Just received an email about Big 12 expansion. Nothing has changed. B12 will only consider expanding if they miss the playoffs.

‏@theDudeofWV
-The short list is BYU, Cincy, ECU, Memphis, UCF & UCONN. Those are the ONLY schools on the short list.

Hope they take Cincy/Memphis

UC has put a lot of money into Nippert Stadium, albeit an investment that has led to some nice high-end seating, but only 40k in capacity. UC now is going after a renovation of 5/3 Arena. UC will look as good as it can look if the B12 ultimately decides to expand. Additionally, I would think that UC would be the logical first pick to bring some sanity to a conference that presently has WVU as an outlier member.

BYU probably either is the actual first or second pick, but the Mormon factor and Sundays may be a roadblock with them. Then again, BYU probably is not enjoying watching Utah's program rise as a result of its membership in the Pac12.

I would think that UCF would be up to bat next. It's a Johnny-come-lately, but it's big, it's in Florida, and it's big and in Florida.

In short, any way you look at this right now, UCONN is toast when it comes to P5 football membership.

I really don't think the BYU Sunday issue is anywhere near as big as you think. Don't know the Big 12 plays any Sunday basketball games at all.

I really don't have an opinion on it. I wrote that because I've seen that noted as an issue in various articles in the past.

Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason for the Big East to expand given our current trend line. You may not think much of the round robin, but it sure seems to be going over nicely with most people here and, I suspect, our collective fan bases in general.

Last year was very successful overall for the BE, regardless of the collective Tournament performance. Recruiting is solid. Partners are doing their thing and it's all moving in the right direction. The bottomline is that the Big East is very healthy right now, which means it isn't desperate and in need of any change.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:11 am

The thing is going to be if the Big 12 goes to 12.....
All 5 of the P5 are at 12+
A10 is at 14
MWC is at 11
AAC is a big ?- but I would expect at least 11.
MAC is at 12

So right there of the top 12 Ken Pom conferences from last year- 9 are at 11+.

What being at more than 10 and no round robin does is make it where years like 2 years ago just don't happen.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:07 am

Hoya Hoya Hoya wrote:@theDudeofWV -Just received an email about Big 12 expansion. Nothing has changed. B12 will only consider expanding if they miss the playoffs.

‏@theDudeofWV
-The short list is BYU, Cincy, ECU, Memphis, UCF & UCONN. Those are the ONLY schools on the short list.

Hope they take Cincy/Memphis

The Dude is a well known joke in the realignment world. That guy just slings shit at the wall and sees what sticks. Not a chance in hell that ECU is on the short list.
NJRedman

Postby Jet915 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:20 am

IMO the best options are BYU and Cincy. Both have been good in football and basketball and both are good academic schools. Memphis is very poor academically and until recently have been horrible at football. UCF and UCONN are just too far away...
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:27 am

Jet915 wrote:IMO the best options are BYU and Cincy. Both have been good in football and basketball and both are good academic schools. Memphis is very poor academically and until recently have been horrible at football. UCF and UCONN are just too far away...

The interesting thing there is who the AAC gets to replace Cincy. UMass becomes much more possible.

The other thing with that is the impact on Gonzaga. BYU leaves the WCC, the WCC goes into the tank.
stever20

Postby AACguy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:35 pm

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:IMO the best options are BYU and Cincy. Both have been good in football and basketball and both are good academic schools. Memphis is very poor academically and until recently have been horrible at football. UCF and UCONN are just too far away...

The interesting thing there is who the AAC gets to replace Cincy. UMass becomes much more possible.

The other thing with that is the impact on Gonzaga. BYU leaves the WCC, the WCC goes into the tank.

I'm not sure what the AAC would do but don't discount the possibility of adding basketball schools (VCU, Wichita).
AACguy

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:38 pm

AACguy wrote:
stever20 wrote:

I'm not sure what the AAC would do but don't discount the possibility of adding basketball schools (VCU, Wichita).

If AAC lost Memphis, Cincy or UConn a strong argument could be made that a move from the A10 to AAC would be lateral at best with much less stability.
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:57 pm

The problem with the Big 12 is that it is run by Texas, and the problem with Texas is that Texas will always do what is in the best interest for Texas. As long as Texas continues to get major revenue via the Longhorn Network, they don't care about adding more revenue to the Big 12, their members, or ensuring a spot for the league in the CFP. They really missed the boat in adding Louisville and Cincinnati when they added West Virginia in 2012. It would have given them a solid eastern wing, 12 members and a more stable conference moving forward.

If Cincinnati/Memphis/UCF/USF all manage to snag a life raft off the AAC (like to the Big 12), then I truly believe that UConn calls the Big East in desperation for non-football membership. A conference, in football or basketball, composed of East Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa, Houston, SMU (toxic at this point) and Temple would be a doomsday scenario. There's just no positive spin to it. The severance package that UConn/Cincinnati/USF all got will also run out soon. ESPN doesn't appear to need the inventory either, which doesn't bode well for their TV package.

Even if the AAC considers adding non-football schools (to balance the Navy membership), it is nothing different than the old Big East treading water for so many years to stay afloat as a conference. It doesn't stop the water from sinking the boat. Wichita State and VCU, when they have off-basketball seasons, would bring nothing to the conference (nothing in TV markets, nothing in school academic prestige).
GoldenWarrior11

Postby R Jay » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:04 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:The problem with the Big 12 is that it is run by Texas, and the problem with Texas is that Texas will always do what is in the best interest for Texas. As long as Texas continues to get major revenue via the Longhorn Network, they don't care about adding more revenue to the Big 12, their members, or ensuring a spot for the league in the CFP. They really missed the boat in adding Louisville and Cincinnati when they added West Virginia in 2012. It would have given them a solid eastern wing, 12 members and a more stable conference moving forward.

If Cincinnati/Memphis/UCF/USF all manage to snag a life raft off the AAC (like to the Big 12), then I truly believe that UConn calls the Big East in desperation for non-football membership. A conference, in football or basketball, composed of East Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa, Houston, SMU (toxic at this point) and Temple would be a doomsday scenario. There's just no positive spin to it. The severance package that UConn/Cincinnati/USF all got will also run out soon. ESPN doesn't appear to need the inventory either, which doesn't bode well for their TV package.

Even if the AAC considers adding non-football schools (to balance the Navy membership), it is nothing different than the old Big East treading water for so many years to stay afloat as a conference. It doesn't stop the water from sinking the boat. Wichita State and VCU, when they have off-basketball seasons, would bring nothing to the conference (nothing in TV markets, nothing in school academic prestige).

Exactly. Texas (and Oklahoma, for that matter) don't have any interest in expanding (read watering down) the Big 12. The only people who are talking about it are those who like realignment in general and those that believe that their school will be "in" when (if and a really unlikely if) the Big 12 expands.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:10 pm

Just look at the coaches. A10 has coaches getting poached. AAC doesn't. That's not lateral. Sorry but playing UConn, Temple, Memphis(if Cincy leaves)- is much better than playing A10 teams. Right now the A10 is VCU, Dayton, maybe Davidson, and then everyone else. So to trade Dayton, Davidson, Richmond- for UConn, Temple, Memphis- that's a no brainer.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board