Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:13 pm

R Jay wrote:
stever20 wrote:to get the Big Ten though, they may need to offer some slots on Big Fox for basketball as well as football. The Big Ten is in control here, not Fox. That's what folks forget. Fox can't just automatically say we'll put x games on FS1 and nothing on Big Fox. Big Ten very well might not take that. And I don't think it's realistic to say that they would take too kindly to being what would in essence be 2nd fiddle to the Big East- with Big East getting Big Fox exposures and Big Ten not. That won't fly.

I see your strawman game is still going strong. Nowhere did I say that the Big East would be on FOX more than the Big Ten in my last post. All I said was that there is more potential content for FS1 meaning that FOX could take more weekend games. That goes for us.
And I'm sorry, but you're absolutely incorrect about the B1G having control over television schedules, too. Every single conference is at the mercy of it's broadcast partner when it comes to which games will be when. I'm not sure you understand that the conferences, even the major conferences, don't have much leverage when it comes to scheduling their games for tv.

You do understand that Big Ten could easily get in their contract that they get x number of network exposures. When new tv contracts get negotiated, programming parameters change. Especially when changing networks. So your statement saying that the conference doesn't have much leverage- it's wrong. We don't have much leverage because our contract is done. When a contract is being done, the conference can say ok we want 5 Big Fox games and 15 FS1 slots.

Big Ten basketball isn't going to be what saves FS1. It's 4-5 games a week tops, and that's only if they leave ESPN totally(which they won't) Big Ten uses basketball to drive their network.

It wouldn't be the biggest shock at all if FS1 if they get the Big Ten if we don't see CBSSN getting more Big East games.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby robinreed » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Is ESPN being innovative or desperate? Perhaps some of both. ESPN has announced that ESPN3 will now be called College Extra and be carried on regular cable instead of internet. This will allow them to broadcast more games for the ACC, B12, AAC, CUSA, MAC, Sunbelt and other smaller conferences. Many sports will be included in this package not just football and basketball. Although I expect football to be the most prominent.

The only way I see this effecting us is that OOC away games for some of our teams not currently broadcast on cable may be picked up and allow the BE to have a somewhat greater audience because of those additional games. There will be no additional cost as they will be included in current packages. This does not appear to be a major change for us in any way but our viewers may benefit slightly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hundreds of Live College Sports Events Delivered Year-Round beginning September 5

Available to AT&T U-verse and DIRECTV, Bright House Networks, Cox, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS and Select NCTC Members’ Customers at Launch

All Events will continue to be Available on ESPN3 across WatchESPN Platforms

ESPN today announced the launch of ESPN College Extra, a new college sports service that will bring hundreds of ESPN3 exclusive live college sports events to the TV. The service delivers an extensive portfolio of college sports events year-round including football, basketball, baseball, softball and more. Live events will be accessible to customers of AT&T U-verse and DIRECTV – which is now part of the AT&T family – Bright House Networks, Cox, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS and select NCTC members at launch beginning Saturday, September 5 with the start of the 2015-16 football season. Any additional providers to carry ESPN College Extra will be announced at a later date.

“ESPN is at the forefront of media innovation with a long history of working closely with distributors to better serve customers,” said Sean Breen, Senior Vice President, Affiliate Sales, Disney and ESPN Media Networks. “ESPN College Extra is the latest example of that ongoing collaboration and we are pleased that AT&T U-verse and DIRECTV, Bright House Networks, Cox, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS and several NCTC members have recognized the value it adds to the multichannel video subscription.”

ESPN College Extra live events from FBS conferences (including the ACC, The American, Big 12, MAC and Sun Belt) and FCS conferences (Atlantic Sun, Big South, Horizon League, MAAC, MEAC, MVC, Pioneer, Southland, Summit League, SWAC, WAC and more) will be delivered to fans on up to eight channels through a sports tier or other affiliated TV package.

As you can imagine the ESPN press announcement is mostly self serving puff.
robinreed

Postby Jet915 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:30 am

Woohoo! Just curiously browsing and noticed I now have access to Fox Sports 2. It's only in SD but last time I checked about 6 months ago I had to pay extra to get it. I have Verizon FiOS.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:24 pm

just was flipping and saw college football preview show on right now- with Cowherd on there. Saw ad right after for his radio show starting on Tuesday.....
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:18 am

I will be interested ti see what the ratings were for the CFB games last night. FS1 had Harbaugh which should have helped them some even if there was a better game on ESPN.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:24 am

Omaha1 wrote:I will be interested ti see what the ratings were for the CFB games last night. FS1 had Harbaugh which should have helped them some even if there was a better game on ESPN.

I don't think UNC/USC or TCU/Minnesota was a better game than Michigan/Utah.
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:50 am

stever20 wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:I will be interested ti see what the ratings were for the CFB games last night. FS1 had Harbaugh which should have helped them some even if there was a better game on ESPN.

The #2 team in the country on the ropes isn't a better game?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:56 am

Omaha1 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

The #2 team in the country on the ropes isn't a better game?

I didn't think so- but even moreso, with the time difference- the Michigan/Utah game was over by the mid-3rd of the Minnesota/TCU game. Also, TCU wasn't really on the ropes until the last few minutes of the game.
stever20

Postby Chalmers0 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:16 am

Austin Karp @AustinKarp
Harbaugh who? Michigan-Utah draws 2.1 overnight on FS1. That figure projects to be the network's most-watched college football game ever
Chalmers0

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:21 am

Chalmers0 wrote:Austin Karp @AustinKarp
Harbaugh who? Michigan-Utah draws 2.1 overnight on FS1. That figure projects to be the network's most-watched college football game ever

2.1 would be roughly 3.5 million viewers. That would be roughly 1.4 million more viewers than the game I see as the previous best game ever on FS1- a game between Oklahoma/Baylor in 2013. Game got a 1.3 rating.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board