Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun May 10, 2015 5:42 pm

bmorex wrote:In ACTUAL conference realignment news, Horizon looks to be adding Northern Kentucky.

It's a good add for them. Now, they are at 10 members (like us) and can keep their round-robin format while adding a pair of conference games moving forward. It also helps that they are adding a neighboring state.

Wonder who the Atlantic Sun gets to replace them.
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby R Jay » Sun May 10, 2015 6:13 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
bmorex wrote:In ACTUAL conference realignment news, Horizon looks to be adding Northern Kentucky.

It's a good add for them. Now, they are at 10 members (like us) and can keep their round-robin format while adding a pair of conference games moving forward. It also helps that they are adding a neighboring state.

Wonder who the Atlantic Sun gets to replace them.

Well, they don't need to get anyone to replace them since they still have 7 teams (7 is the minimum for conference), however, If they did want to add another school, they'd probably have to go to Division II, since the Atlantic Sun is one of the lowest conferences in Division I.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby marquette » Mon May 11, 2015 2:33 am

I hear NJIT is available. They are improving quickly and would be willing to accept a bid to any conference (I am obviously speaking of the A-Sun, not us).

The Horizon desperately needed a 10th team because they were having trouble scheduling the OOC games, winding up taking a lot of D2 programs. This alleviates the need to schedule an extra two. Good add for them.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby R Jay » Mon May 11, 2015 9:37 am

marquette wrote:I hear NJIT is available. They are improving quickly and would be willing to accept a bid to any conference (I am obviously speaking of the A-Sun, not us).

The Horizon desperately needed a 10th team because they were having trouble scheduling the OOC games, winding up taking a lot of D2 programs. This alleviates the need to schedule an extra two. Good add for them.

I'm not sure NJIT would jump for the Atlantic Sun. If anything, I think they hold out for the America East, who is at 9 teams right now. It's a better institutional fit for NJIT and travel costs aren't nearly as high. Having said that, it doesn't sound like the America East is interested in adding them right now.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:52 pm

For any of you interested: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... ton-flyers

Looking Ahead: Dayton Flyers - ESPN - June 17, 2015

It’s never too early to start looking ahead to next season. Over the coming weeks, we will examine what comes next for each team in the Power 5 conferences and also those outside the Power 5 who could make noise on the national stage. Today: the Dayton Flyers.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:06 am

From the Omaha writer who covers Nebraska sports and BigX/Big12. This was written TODAY.
If the predictions come true that the clock is ticking on the Big 12 sticking together, remember what we previously reported from two sources at Nebraska — the Big Ten has done its “homework’’ to evaluate Oklahoma and Kansas as potential members.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Xudash » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:31 pm

Omaha1 wrote:From the Omaha writer who covers Nebraska sports and BigX/Big12. This was written TODAY.
If the predictions come true that the clock is ticking on the Big 12 sticking together, remember what we previously reported from two sources at Nebraska — the Big Ten has done its “homework’’ to evaluate Oklahoma and Kansas as potential members.

Do we have any elaboration on the source of these predictions?

First and foremost, all this would suggest that the 4 x 16 model is the destination. Why else would the B1G go from 14 to 16?

Secondly, IF it's always been about solving for football and assuming it's still about solving for football, then, as far as competitive programs are concerned, I get OU, but I absolutely don't understand KU as a target. They've been historically putrid in football. More to the point, given that these additions are primarily made for reasons having to do with television eyeballs, niether OU or Kansas make sense, especially as compared to UT.

Within the last two weeks - I can't remember the exact date - ESPN scrolled that Big XII Commish said that the conference is fine at 10, but the OU President stated that he thought the conference should increase to 12.

The bottomline appears to be, assuming that Bowlsby is UT's mouthpiece, that the Big XII is sticking at 10, assuming they're sticking together.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:18 pm

There is most definitely a disconnect within the Big 12 with regards to expansion. Oklahoma (Boren), West Virginia (Gee) and Kansas State (Snyder) have all been on record within the past 2 weeks as saying that they want to expand. Texas, TCU and Texas Tech all vote the same way, and Texas is vehemently opposed to any expansion. That leaves Baylor, Kansas, Iowa State and OK State as the question marks. I'd assume OSU would vote with OU, but who knows.

Very reminiscent of 2012 in the Big East. Certain schools for expansion, others against. Those in favor of expansion are split between academic adds, location adds, football adds, basketball adds, etc. This, in all likelihood, will end in one more giant realignment phase (with Texas watching schools like Oklahoma, OK State, Kansas, and Iowa State jump to another conferences that have conference networks, like Nebraska, Texas A&M, Missouri and Colorado did).

"Those Who Fail to Learn from History are Doomed to Repeat It."
GoldenWarrior11

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:58 am

It really only comes down to one thing for us. When the music stops and UConn doesn't have a seat in the power conference structure do they give up on their FBS FB dreams, de-emphasize FB and rejoin the Big East where they belong.
NJRedman

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:57 am

64 just seems too perfect a # for football for it not to eventually get there.

Big XII dissolves.
UT & OU go to the SEC.
Baylor, TCU, Tech Tech & Iowa St. go to the PAC
K St. & Okl. St. go to the B1G
ND joins ACC full time for FB & they add WVU

Left holding the bag = Kansas. Kansas then joins the BE along with UCONN. Could you imagine? (I know there is not a snowball's chance in hell, but wouldn't that sure be fun...) Two divisions: East and West.

All the old BE teams in the East play each other twice & each team in the West once.
Gtown
Nova
PC
SHU
SJU
Uconn

West:
X
Marq.
Butler
CU
DePaul