FCOA WAR COMMENCES Cincinnati pays $7434 FCOA

The home for Big East hoops

Re: WHAT WILL THE BE PAY AS FCOA PER SCHOOL?

Postby ElDonBDon » Mon May 11, 2015 12:34 am

stever20 wrote:I really wonder what the F5 thinks about conferences as low as the Big South saying they're going to do it for basketball. I really think the F5 thought this would cut out some of the "rif raf" if you will.

I was under the impression that the F5 wanted to cut out the "rif raf" from football, and didn't care too much about football.
ElDonBDon

Re: WHAT WILL THE BE PAY AS FCOA PER SCHOOL?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: UPDATE ON FCOA PAID PER SCHOOL

Postby stever20 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:36 am

I would kind of think if it was going to be a low ball type of offer, that we would have already heard about it to some degree- that it'd be leaked.

I think the thing that will get interesting out west is how the Big West and WCC react to BYU and Hawaii paying the FCOA. Will that force those other conferences to match suit? Could be some real interesting developments out there....
stever20

Postby robinreed » Thu May 14, 2015 11:07 am

A minor change in the Colorado State FCOA. All in state student-athletes will receive $2400.00 while out of state will receive $3100.00.

FORT COLLINS, Colo.--Colorado State University will begin to provide student-athlete stipends to cover the full cost of attendance beginning with the 2015-16 school year. The additional funding of $654,000 to support scholarship student-athletes is a benefit made possible by the passage of recent NCAA legislation intended to improve the overall student-athlete experience.

Colorado State will fund the cost of attendance stipends according to a formula set by federal financial aid guidelines, unique to each campus. Set by the CSU Financial Aid Office using those federal guidelines, CSU will provide approximately $2,400 annually for an in-state full scholarship student-athlete and approximately $3,100 for an out-of-state full scholarship student-athlete. That is the figure necessary to close the gap between the full scholarship amount and full cost of attendance at Colorado State. CSU Athletics currently offers the maximum allotment of 214.1 scholarships based on the 16 sports it currently sponsors for intercollegiate athletics.

Colorado State scholarship student-athletes in the headcount sports of football, men's and women's basketball, volleyball and women's tennis receive full scholarships, and thus would receive the full $2,400 or $3,100 cost of attendance stipend. Scholarship student-athletes in equivalency sports--which include men's and women's cross country, men's and women's golf, soccer, softball, women's swimming and diving, and men's and women's track and field--are eligible to receive partial scholarships, and will receive a percentage of the full cost of attendance stipend equal to the percentage of a full scholarship they receive in agreement with the coach of their program.

The new legislation goes into effect Aug. 1, and student-athletes at Colorado State will begin to receive the additional stipend this fall.

I still have seen nothing from XU or any of the other Big East schools. There appears to be some problem here, are the schools in the league planning a uniform FCOA payment? Would such a uniform payment be consistent with federal guidelines. Why is this taking so long? Anyone with FCOA information on their schools please post it here.
robinreed

Postby R Jay » Thu May 14, 2015 11:17 am

Robin, please take a breath on this, it seems like you are panicking, but you shouldn't be. As has been said time and again, the Big East schools do not need to release FCOA numbers and might not care to do so. I can tell you that from my discussions with members of Creighton's athletic department a few months ago that the league was at the time discussing the matter. For all we know, they could have settled it already, but have or will not make that information public.
The Big East has said multiple times that they will work to stay competitive and since the FCOA is now a requirement to do so, the Big East will clearly take care of it.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Xudash » Sat May 16, 2015 4:34 pm

R Jay wrote:Robin, please take a breath on this, it seems like you are panicking, but you shouldn't be. As has been said time and again, the Big East schools do not need to release FCOA numbers and might not care to do so. I can tell you that from my discussions with members of Creighton's athletic department a few months ago that the league was at the time discussing the matter. For all we know, they could have settled it already, but have or will not make that information public.
The Big East has said multiple times that they will work to stay competitive and since the FCOA is now a requirement to do so, the Big East will clearly take care of it.

Exactly.

The ACC Conference meetings just broke down here on Amelia Island earlier this week. It remains an open item for them.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby NovaBall » Sat May 16, 2015 4:48 pm

Is robin reeds rally concerned a about this?

Old like marquette, gtown, nova all make 8 figures in revenue from hoops per yr, yet they are not going to offer the fcoa? Does that seem likely?
NovaBall

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat May 16, 2015 8:25 pm

Great thing about having all private schools in the conference. Information is parceled out on a "need to know" basis. The presidents probably love the sanctity and scarcity of public disclosures. They collectively flip the bird at the FOIA. The main reason no public schools will be considered for expansion ( Go zags, Vandy, and Duke).

Evidently Robin (and the rest of us) don't have a need to know. As said above the conference has said that FCOA is not a problem - they plan to play the FCOA card. Agree that it has probably been addressed, solved, and put to bed. No sense in aggravating your ulcers over this issue. The individual schools will "leak" info over time.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby robinreed » Sun May 17, 2015 12:53 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Great thing about having all private schools in the conference. Information is parceled out on a "need to know" basis. The presidents probably love the sanctity and scarcity of public disclosures. They collectively flip the bird at the FOIA. The main reason no public schools will be considered for expansion ( Go zags, Vandy, and Duke).

Evidently Robin (and the rest of us) don't have a need to know. As said above the conference has said that FCOA is not a problem - they plan to play the FCOA card. Agree that it has probably been addressed, solved, and put to bed. No sense in aggravating your ulcers over this issue. The individual schools will "leak" info over time.

I copied the following from the Nevada - Reno board of the MWC. It suggests that the FCOA must be reported to the federal government. If this is accurate it negates the privacy argument as all schools have education grants and student government guaranteed loans. I assume if it were reported to the feds it would be public information.

"Yes there's a cap. Each school is required to submit documents to the IRS and Department of Education regarding their cost of attendance. Things such as Pell Grants are based on these amounts. So a school won't be able to say "well our cost of attendance is $50,000 beyond the cost of a scholarship"."
robinreed

Postby robinreed » Sun May 17, 2015 10:45 am

Xudash wrote:
R Jay wrote:Robin, please take a breath on this, it seems like you are panicking, but you shouldn't be. As has been said time and again, the Big East schools do not need to release FCOA numbers and might not care to do so. I can tell you that from my discussions with members of Creighton's athletic department a few months ago that the league was at the time discussing the matter. For all we know, they could have settled it already, but have or will not make that information public.

Exactly.

The ACC Conference meetings just broke down here on Amelia Island earlier this week. It remains an open item for them.

Xudash,
Please see the following website: http://chronicle.com/article/At-Least-15...ms/229229/

The ACC schools decided and announced their FCOA amounts over a month ago. Ergo the matter does not remain an open item for the ACC. The decision has been made and amounts announced. Please also note several of the ACC schools are private (BC, Cuse, Wake, Duke, Miami) and yet they made announcement a month ago.
Last edited by robinreed on Sun May 17, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
robinreed

Postby billyjack » Sun May 17, 2015 10:46 am

I would think private schools would tend to have higher costs of attendance.
Each of our 10 schools are in cities that have a higher cost of living than the average land grant university.

I would think that non-football schools would have fewer athletes that need to be compensated... with football schools, you have at least 85 with football plus an equal amount for women's sports? So 170 athletes minimum, compared to 13 + 13 = 26 athletes for us...?

I mean, i don't understand all the nuances, but i can't really see this as a doomsday issue for us. The Big East will be in an equal or better position than we are now.

Edit: so West Virginia and East Carolina and San Diego State and Virginia Tech and Central Michigan would need to compensate, at a minimum, 85 football players, 13 men's basketball players, and an equal amount of women's athletes? So 98 x 2 or 196 athletes.

Big East teams would need to compensate a minimum of 13 men's hoops and 13 women's hoops, so 26 athletes. Each football school would need to compensate 170 more athletes than Big East schools?

Am i thinking this through correctly?
Last edited by billyjack on Sun May 17, 2015 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board