Number of Top 100 players to non-football schools

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Number of Top 100 players to non-football schools

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Fri May 01, 2015 12:56 pm

robinreed wrote:The number of the top 100 (ESPN) basketball players who have signed with the football playing DIV 1 schools is 90
There are 4 players who have not decided yet or at least have not signed.

The non-football playing schools signed 6 of the top 100 players to basketball scholarships.

The Big East, after a very good year and 6 NCAA tourney bids signed 5 of the 6 players who will attend non-football DIV 1 schools. The remaining player will attend Wichita State. Non-football schools such as Dayton, VCU, St. Louis, Gonzaga etc. have none of the top 100.

For those interested in expansion this puts a new light on expansion with non-football schools only. They simply can not draw the interest from high school players as the football schools obviously are able to do. We in the Big East can and will defy this trend and our current membership will probably not be harmed if we can pull in 5 or more of the top 100 each and every year. However the A-10, Horizon, West Coast, MVC and other leagues are harmed by this trend. I also expect the FCOA may provide a greater benefit to the football playing schools as well.

Comments please

VCU currently has 5 ESPN Top 100 players on the roster. Of course, most of that is due to Shaka Smart - but the new coaching staff believes they can recruit at this level. Unfortunately, VCU will have to settle somewhat for this 2015 and possibly 2016 class, as relationships play a major role (for anyone not Duke, Kentucky etc..) and the new staff simply hasn't had enough time to build relationships with the Top 100 recruits that are available.
Gopher+RamFan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri May 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:
robinreed wrote:The number of the top 100 (ESPN) basketball players who have signed with the football playing DIV 1 schools is 90

The non-football playing schools signed 6 of the top 100 players to basketball scholarships.

The Big East, after a very good year and 6 NCAA tourney bids signed 5 of the 6 players who will attend non-football DIV 1 schools. The remaining player will attend Wichita State. Non-football schools such as Dayton, VCU, St. Louis, Gonzaga etc. have none of the top 100.

For those interested in expansion this puts a new light on expansion with non-football schools only. They simply can not draw the interest from high school players as the football schools obviously are able to do. We in the Big East can and will defy this trend and our current membership will probably not be harmed if we can pull in 5 or more of the top 100 each and every year. However the A-10, Horizon, West Coast, MVC and other leagues are harmed by this trend. I also expect the FCOA may provide a greater benefit to the football playing schools as well.

Comments please

VCU currently has 5 ESPN Top 100 players on the roster. Of course, most of that is due to Shaka Smart - but the new coaching staff believes they can recruit at this level. Unfortunately, VCU will have to settle somewhat for this 2015 and possibly 2016 class, as relationships play a major role (for anyone not Duke, Kentucky etc..) and the new staff simply hasn't had enough time to build relationships with the Top 100 recruits that are available.

One of those top 100 guys at VCU has already announced that he's transferring out.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri May 01, 2015 3:17 pm

Comments please

I don't believe that this has any implications for Gonzaga. They recruiting focuses heavily on foreign players. 3 of their stars this year were foreign players. They also get more than their share of transfers. This year's top player, Kyle Wiltjer, for example was a transfer from Kentucky. If they joined the Big East, they would no doubt continue the formula that's worked well for them. However, a heightened profile might mean that they add some top American players as well.
Bill Marsh

Postby Jet915 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:35 pm

247 composite is probably the best indicator since its the average of all the major services.
Jet915

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Fri May 01, 2015 3:42 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Gopher+RamFan wrote:

Comments please

One of those top 100 guys at VCU has already announced that he's transferring out.

I'm up to date on things, Terry Larrier has asked for his release (due to personal reasons, kind of ambiguous) but has not received it yet, nor has it leaked which schools he might intend to transfer to. VCU's coach said it was possible he's back, similar to Top 100 Justin Tillman, where it was reported he was transferring out but ended up staying. These guys are being pulled in different directions by their handlers (either AAU coaches, parents, families etc). I'm assuming that's what's happening with TL as well, Tillman was being advised to leave the program by his dad, but ultimately wanted to stay with his teammates. Good possibility Larrier does as well, he hasn't removed VCU from any of his social media pages, like VCU's former recruits did once it was announced they were receiving their release. It's up in the air.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby HoosierPal » Fri May 01, 2015 4:28 pm

Comments please

So, correct me if I am wrong, we should expect the Big East to receive more at large NCAA bids (capped at 9) than all other non P5 conferences combined in the near future, right? If not, then what does this mean?
HoosierPal

Postby stever20 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:52 pm

HoosierPal wrote:

Comments please

So, correct me if I am wrong, we should expect the Big East to receive more at large NCAA bids (capped at 9) than all other non P5 conferences combined in the near future, right? If not, then what does this mean?

That's not what he's saying. He's saying that the non football schools have gotten 6 top 100 guys. 5 of the 6 are going to Big East schools...

I know the AAC and MWC have quite a few top 100 guys this year- just looking quickly AAC has 5 and MWC has 3. So it's not more at large NCAA bids than all other non P5 conferences- but fair to say more at large NCAA bids than all other non football conferences. This year that would have been 5 for the Big East to 4 for the non football conferences.

I think long term we're going to see the AAC, MWC, and Big East really take a separating step from the MVC, A10, and WCC. The big question will be can the Big East separate recruiting wise from the AAC and MWC. This year it's very close- 5-5-3 in ESPN top 100.

If you look at the classes by the 247 composite- the top non P5 classes are:
9 UNLV
11 Marquette
13 Memphis
22 Georgetown
25 Villanova
30 UConn
43 SMU
45 San Diego St
48 Temple
49 Cincinnati

so of the top 50 classes- Big East has 3, MWC has 2, and AAC has 5. You say that's not fair- Creighton and St John's are 52/54 respectively. That's fine. USF is 52, Wichita St is 55, and UCF is 59. So top 60- Big East 5, MWC 2, and AAC with 7. Wichita the only non football team in the top 60 outside the Big East.
stever20

Postby robinreed » Fri May 01, 2015 6:22 pm

HoosierPal wrote:

Comments please

Hoosier Pal,
I know you are up on the NCAA policies from your previous posts here. Therefore I know that you know that there are about 20 minor conferences which all receive 1 automatic invite. Allow me to mention also that I did not state P5 conferences only as the so called G5 are also included in the football subdivision. I do believe however that the BE will generally receive more bids than any of the other non-football conferences and some of the lesser football conferences. For example no G5 conference received the 6 bids that the BE did this past season. If memory serves the SEC did not get 6 bids either. Please correct me if I am in error as I have not looked up the SEC bids recently.
robinreed

Postby MUBoxer » Fri May 01, 2015 6:45 pm

Can't speak for all the teams but we have a decent amount of top 100 recruits, probably most in the conference and aren't exactly beating the world so it's clearly not everything. Also we had one more but let him out of his commitment after his weird mental break down
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby stever20 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:51 pm

MUBoxer wrote:Can't speak for all the teams but we have a decent amount of top 100 recruits, probably most in the conference and aren't exactly beating the world so it's clearly not everything. Also we had one more but let him out of his commitment after his weird mental break down

Those top 100 recruits haven't played yet.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board