Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby TBC Alum » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:00 am

Out of sheer morbid curiosity I click on this thread. Why do I do it?

Very rarely (and with very weak arguments) do I ever see anyone address the obvious question - why would we even expand at this point?
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby muskienick » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:34 am

TBC Alum wrote:Out of sheer morbid curiosity I click on this thread. Why do I do it?

Very rarely (and with very weak arguments) do I ever see anyone address the obvious question - why would we even expand at this point?

Actually, TBC, the vast majority of posters on this site who are fans of current Big East members have stated that they want the league to remain at 10 for the foreseeable future. The discussion dealing with who would be the likely candidates for expanding the Big East is being done only on a "What If?" basis --- not on a "Let's Do It!" basis.
muskienick

Postby jaxalum » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:09 pm

Xer4ever wrote:So RD, I did go back further and here's what I found:

Conference Championships since 2000 Season/Tournament:

Butler- 9/5

Creighton- 4/7

Xavier- 7/3

Dayton- 0/0

Pretty telling, wouldn't you agree? FGCU is proof anybody can catch lightening in a bottle and make a surprise run in the Tournament. Big East doesn't need to expand but if it does, I hope it's with Schools who have a relevant history of winning Championships.

^^^^^^^^ I can't see how you can refute this post. FGCU is a perfect parallel.

Big East doesn't need to expand but if it does, I hope it's with Schools who have a relevant history of winning Championships.

^^^^^^^^ My thoughts exactly.
Xavier
jaxalum

Postby RDriesenUD » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:44 pm

jaxalum wrote:

Butler- 9/5

Creighton- 4/7

Xavier- 7/3

Dayton- 0/0

Pretty telling, wouldn't you agree? FGCU is proof anybody can catch lightening in a bottle and make a surprise run in the Tournament. Big East doesn't need to expand but if it does, I hope it's with Schools who have a relevant history of winning Championships.

Big East doesn't need to expand but if it does, I hope it's with Schools who have a relevant history of winning Championships.

You're right. Dayton and FGCU exactly the same. When I think of University of Dayton basketball, the first thing that comes to mind is FGCU.
RDriesenUD

Postby Hoopfan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:17 pm

RDriesenUD wrote:
jaxalum wrote:

Butler- 9/5

Creighton- 4/7

Xavier- 7/3

Dayton- 0/0

You're right. Dayton and FGCU exactly the same. When I think of University of Dayton basketball, the first thing that comes to mind is FGCU.

Cool, another team to add to my list when i think of dayton university basketball. Sienna, Fordham, Bonnie's, and now dunk city
Hoopfan

Postby jaxalum » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:22 pm

RDriesenUD wrote:
jaxalum wrote:

Butler- 9/5

Creighton- 4/7

Xavier- 7/3

Dayton- 0/0

You're right. It's a bad parallel because FGCU has a regular season and a conference tourney championship in the last ten years. They've only been DI since 2011.
Last edited by jaxalum on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xavier
jaxalum

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:28 pm

admin wrote:I locked the earlier thread this morning and am requesting that all discussion of Big East expansion or other conference realignment discussion be kept here. Thank you.

-Admin

I went back to the beginning to see how this thing began. Turns out it didn't even begin here, seemed to be picking up with some kind of discussion about Marshall (the school, not Gregg).

"What if" is much more interesting that "what is," I guess.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Xer4ever » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:39 pm

RD, i'll say this, I think you are a fair representation of your school. Your comment about wanting schools that are good ooc, but not good in conference is the exact kind of looser mentality that exists in the A 10. We have a Champions mentality in the BE. The Presidents knew what they were doing when then added 3 and only 3 schools. Beside the beauty of round robin conference play, there were only 3 schools that fit the criteria. That hasn't changed and doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.
Xer4ever

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:09 pm

Butler- 9/5

Creighton- 4/7

Xavier- 7/3

Dayton- 0/0

Doesn't this rule out TD Jesus and the Golden domers? Also rules out BC, St Louis, and VCU. Rules out most of your prime candidates except the Zags and Duke.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby muskienick » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:41 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:

Butler- 9/5

Creighton- 4/7

Xavier- 7/3

Dayton- 0/0

Doesn't this rule out TD Jesus and the Golden domers? Also rules out BC, St Louis, and VCU. Rules out most of your prime candidates except the Zags and Duke.

Why would it rule out VCU? They have 5 regular season Conference Championships (1 more than Creighton) and 4 Conference Tourney Championships (1 more than Xavier) during that span of time.
muskienick

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board