Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby Xer4ever » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:34 am

Couple of thoughts. I appreciate anyone taking the time to put together a 5 year statistical analysis, however 5 yrs is not an adequate period of time time project future success because one great player such as McDermitt could have too much impact on results. I also realize the relevancy of recent success, but i believe 10 years of history will be more telling than 5 yrs.
Next, in this era of "it's all about NCAA Tournament success", no one is talking about the importance of Conference Championships. All three new additions to The League, had won their respective championships and were considered favorites to win more years than not. Dayton on the other hand, until 2013/14 was a 500 team in the A 10 for the last decade. Furthermore, I can't find when they last won a men's BB conference championship. In addition to all the criteria discussed, I'd hope expansion will be limited to proven Champions.
Xer4ever

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RDriesenUD » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:22 am

I do agree Dayton hasn't been as good as they should have been in the A10, but let's not act like they have been terrible. Also, any reason 5 years isn't good, but 10 years is? Is it because if you use 5 years UD looks better and if you use 10 years you stop right before 4 of the best years UD has had in the A10? If you don't want UD in, that is fine. I am sure you can come up with good reasons for it. I wouldn't use not winning conference championships as one. I mean, for one, the best thing for other members would be a team that is great in OOC games and not as great in conference games. I am going to list UD for the last 14 years only because it isn't as bad as you like to make it seem.

Year = Overall (A10, A10 Standings), A10 Tournament, NCAA/NIT = There are 2 standings for 02-05 (division/overall)

14-15 = 27-9 (13-5, t2nd), 2-1, NCAA (2-1)
13-14 = 26-11 (10-6, t5th), 1-1, NCAA (3-1)
12-13 = 17-14 (7-9, t11th), 0-1
11-12 = 20-13 (9-7, t5th), 1-1, NIT (0-1)
10-11 = 22-14 (7-9, t8th), 3-1, NIT (0-1)
09-10 = 25-12 (8-8, 7th), 1-1, NIT (5-0)
08-09 = 27-8 (11-5, t2nd), 1-1, NCAA (1-1)
07-08 = 23-11 (8-8, t7th), 1-1, NIT (2-1)
06-07 = 19-12 (8-8, t7th), 1-1
05-06 = 14-17 (6-10, t11th), 0-1
04-05 = 18-11 (10-6, t2nd/t4th)
03-04 = 24-9 (12-4, 1st/2nd), 2-1, NCAA (0-1)
02-03 = 25-6 (14-2, 2nd/2nd), 3-0, NCAA (0-1)
01-02 = 21-11 (10-6, t2nd/t4th), 2-1, NIT (1-1)

So, not great, but not terrible. Some really goood years, a few bad ones, and a lot of average ones. UD should not be average as much as they have been, but overall it isn't that bad.
RDriesenUD

Postby RDriesenUD » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:00 am

Xer4ever wrote:Couple of thoughts. I appreciate anyone taking the time to put together a 5 year statistical analysis, however 5 yrs is not an adequate period of time time project future success because one great player such as McDermitt could have too much impact on results. I also realize the relevancy of recent success, but i believe 10 years of history will be more telling than 5 yrs.
Next, in this era of "it's all about NCAA Tournament success", no one is talking about the importance of Conference Championships. All three new additions to The League, had won their respective championships and were considered favorites to win more years than not. Dayton on the other hand, until 2013/14 was a 500 team in the A 10 for the last decade. Furthermore, I can't find when they last won a men's BB conference championship. In addition to all the criteria discussed, I'd hope expansion will be limited to proven Champions.

So, I guess you don't want UConn then. I mean, they have only been a co-champion of their conference once in the last 10 years. No outright championships. Also, they have seasons of 10-8, 10-8, 8-10, 9-9, 7-11, and 6-10 in the last 10 years. I guess they aren't good enough. I mean, overall records and NCAA Tournament success don't matter as much as what you do in a conference, right? :D
Last edited by RDriesenUD on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
RDriesenUD

Postby _lh » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:46 am

UD's exclusion and the reasons for it are pretty obvious.

There is no good reason to add them. Sorry.
Xavier
_lh

Postby hoyahooligan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:51 am

RDriesenUD wrote:
Xer4ever wrote:Couple of thoughts. I appreciate anyone taking the time to put together a 5 year statistical analysis, however 5 yrs is not an adequate period of time time project future success because one great player such as McDermitt could have too much impact on results. I also realize the relevancy of recent success, but i believe 10 years of history will be more telling than 5 yrs.

So, I guess you don't want UConn then. I mean, they have only been a co-champion of their conference once in the last 10 years. No outright championships. Also, they have seasons of 10-8, 8-10, 9-9, 7-11, and 6-10 in the last 10 years. I guess they aren't good enough. I mean, overall records and NCAA Tournament success don't matter as much as what you do in a conference, right? :D

?

2 regular season championship 05 and 06 and 1 conference tournament championship (2 if we go to 11).

Plus 9 conference tournament championships(7 BE) and 29 regular season championships (10 BE).

Dayton on 2 conference tournament championships in their history. Your wikipedia article doesn't list regular season titles so no clue how many of those you've won if any.
hoyahooligan

Postby RDriesenUD » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:05 am

hoyahooligan wrote:
RDriesenUD wrote:

So, I guess you don't want UConn then. I mean, they have only been a co-champion of their conference once in the last 10 years. No outright championships. Also, they have seasons of 10-8, 8-10, 9-9, 7-11, and 6-10 in the last 10 years. I guess they aren't good enough. I mean, overall records and NCAA Tournament success don't matter as much as what you do in a conference, right? :D

?

2 regular season championship 05 and 06 and 1 conference tournament championship (2 if we go to 11).

Plus 9 conference tournament championships(7 BE) and 29 regular season championships (10 BE).

Dayton on 2 conference tournament championships in their history. Your wikipedia article doesn't list regular season titles so no clue how many of those you've won if any.

The poster said what matters is conference championships over the last 10 years. Over those 10 years, UConn has 1 conference co-championship. You clearly missed the fact that I was joking just to make a point that the criteria that guy picked was bad.

Dayton hasn't won many conference championships. We haven't been in a conference for that long (compared to our overall history) and unfortunately, our bad era happened when we were in a conference.
RDriesenUD

Postby stever20 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:06 am

hoyahooligan wrote:
RDriesenUD wrote:

?

regular season championships really are meaningless in non round robin conferences. It's as much a factor in who you play as anything else.

And I'm sorry- but conference champions in the big picture are pretty meaningless. I mean- who do you say had the better year this year from the ACC? Virginia(regular season champs), Notre Dame(conference tourney champs) or Duke(national champs)? It's Duke, and it's not even remotely close(and would not have been even if they had lost in the final 4). Conference championships are pretty far down the pecking order in things of importance.
stever20

Postby RDriesenUD » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:09 am

hoyahooligan wrote:
RDriesenUD wrote:

?

That is my point though. We can pick any time period to make a team look good or bad. The original poster picked 10 years, because UD has been really good for the last few years and was really good the years right before 10 (if you go back 14). He chose 10, because that was the best way to prove his point. The 4 years prior to the time frame he picked, UD finished t2nd/t4th, 2nd/2nd, 1st/2nd, and t2/t4th and won a conference tournament championship. Like I said, UD has been far from great in conference, but they also haven't been terrible. I just find it funny when someone picks criteria (conference championships and 10 years) just to fit their point.
RDriesenUD

Postby Xer4ever » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:18 am

So RD, I did go back further and here's what I found:

Conference Championships since 2000 Season/Tournament:

Butler- 9/5

Creighton- 4/7

Xavier- 7/3

Dayton- 0/0

Pretty telling, wouldn't you agree? FGCU is proof anybody can catch lightening in a bottle and make a surprise run in the Tournament. Big East doesn't need to expand but if it does, I hope it's with Schools who have a relevant history of winning Championships.
Xer4ever

Postby RDriesenUD » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:29 am

Xer4ever wrote:So RD, I did go back further and here's what I found:

Conference Championships since 2000 Season/Tournament:

Butler- 9/5

Creighton- 4/7

Xavier- 7/3

Dayton- 0/0

Pretty telling, wouldn't you agree? FGCU is proof anybody can catch lightening in a bottle and make a surprise run in the Tournament. Big East doesn't need to expand but if it does, I hope it's with Schools who have a relevant history of winning Championships.

In case you didn't read my post, I said they haven't been as good as they should have been. The point is that is one factor. ONE. I could name a lot of teams who win championships in their conference who wouldn't even be thought of as being good enough to be in the Big East. If that is all you care about, fine, but I would like to think the Big East cares about A LOT more. If that means Dayton gets in the Big East or doesn't, doesn't matter. They better be caring about a lot more than one thing.
RDriesenUD

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board