Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby hoopstar » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:02 am

Your about to get your wish Dayton Fan...Dayton will play in Big East in 2016/17 season.
hoopstar

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:35 am

@sheg. Great post, we welcome fans such as yourself. What we don't like is trolls such as the one immediately following your post.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby marquette » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:29 am

LOL at the muddy waters reference. I remember a poster back in the early days posting a bunch of charts/numbers about why Dayton was going to join the C7 over Butler/Creighton. Lots of arguments about women's basketball/volleyball. I don't remember the poster's name, but X fans kept saying he was muddy waters from the A10 board. Good times.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:46 am

hoopstar wrote:Your about to get your wish Dayton Fan...Dayton will play in Big East in 2016/17 season.

Is this a guess? Do you have insider info? are you gambling that you can say you broke the news early if it comes to fruition?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby R Jay » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:47 am

MUBoxer wrote:
hoopstar wrote:Your about to get your wish Dayton Fan...Dayton will play in Big East in 2016/17 season.

Is this a guess? Do you have insider info? are you gambling that you can say you broke the news early if it comes to fruition?

Nah, just a troll.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:28 am

Butlerfan28 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I think that "Brand" should be top priority if any team is ever added. We are trying to build a brand that is respected nationwide. Had we not collapsed in the NCAA, we would've been much closer to that goal. But it was still a net positive. Most schools seem to be a positive trajectory with maybe Creighton being the only question mark. B12 had a bad NCAA tourney but no-one is going to realistically question their pedigree. We need to aim for that same stature.

You can't build a brand without a clear and credible brand image you are trying to communicate. That requirement is a fundamental of brand building. So the first question is what is your brand image and the second is what is are the facts credible to support that brand.

Currently the brand is a mix of private, Catholic, highly rated colleges and schools that excel in basketball. Given our performance in the tournament and our refusal to add public schools were are trending towards the former and not the later.

3 short points:

On "brand" - the BE has a brand. We are a basketball 1st conference (harkening back to the origins of the league).

As for individual school "brands" - they all have various "spins", but the importance of basketball should not be in question.
There are 10-15 private or catholic universities which have the necessary profile to give consideration to, should the league ever decide to expand - some are majors, some are mid-majors.
Adding public school(s) would open up conference records, databases, and internal communications to public viewing and scrutiny. Some folk might not like that option.

As for "little Creighton" and our potential trajectory - thanks for the s/o but don't worry about us, we'll be fine. The Missouri River is muddy, but we have water treatment facilities now. Can even buy bottled water in grocery stores. Who'd a thought it? What's next - wireless internet? There's more at Creighton than meets the eye.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:46 am

Butlerfan28 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I think that "Brand" should be top priority if any team is ever added. We are trying to build a brand that is respected nationwide. Had we not collapsed in the NCAA, we would've been much closer to that goal. But it was still a net positive. Most schools seem to be a positive trajectory with maybe Creighton being the only question mark. B12 had a bad NCAA tourney but no-one is going to realistically question their pedigree. We need to aim for that same stature.

You can't build a brand without a clear and credible brand image you are trying to communicate. That requirement is a fundamental of brand building. So the first question is what is your brand image and the second is what is are the facts credible to support that brand.

Currently the brand is a mix of private, Catholic, highly rated colleges and schools that excel in basketball. Given our performance in the tournament and our refusal to add public schools were are trending towards the former and not the later.

We sent 6 teams with an average seed of 5. I think that would qualify as "Excelling". We laid an egg in the tourney. So did the B12, it won't happen every year.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby sheg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:05 pm

DudeAnon wrote:@sheg. Great post, we welcome fans such as yourself.

Thanks. I don't intend to post on this board, really, as its main topic is BIG EAST basketball. THIS thread, obviously, is a little different. I just hate hyperbole in discussions like this.

I hope you're right, but I don't believe you. Your statement is believable (for the reasons I laid out), but I don't believe you have inside information. I'm not accusing you of lying. If you really do, fine, make people believe you. As it stands, you look like you're just gambling.

Lots of arguments about women's basketball/volleyball. I don't remember the poster's name, but X fans kept saying he was muddy waters from the A10 board

If it was muddy (and his style would be easy to spot), I hope he was IP banned.

He's not wrong about WBB and VB being great. They are at UD. They're just not reasons for inclusion. Instead, they're reasons to be more satisfied with a decision made on the merits of MBB (the one that pays the freight) and institutional fit.
sheg

Postby Xudash » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:38 pm

DudeAnon wrote:@sheg. Great post, we welcome fans such as yourself. What we don't like is trolls such as the one immediately following your post.

sheg, I second DudeAnon's welcome. Those were two great reasoned posts you put up there.

t's a shame that the XU/UD rivalry became so toxic over the years, and that a number of UD trolls think they're achieving something now by taking up space here with less than constructive posts. Otherwise, depending upon how the BE Presidents may or may not make decisions about expansion, your reasons for UD's inclusion are compelling.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby muskienick » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:52 pm

If all UD posters were of sheg's quality, I'd be rooting for the inclusion of the Flyers as one of our next two members (despite the few drawbacks I see in that idea).

Unfortunately, Muddy and some of his ilk, are chomping at the chance to ruin this Board also!
muskienick

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board