Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:56 am

The B1G has two members in Illinois, Indiana and Michigan. The ACC has four members in North Carolina alone, not to mention two in Virginia and Florida. The Big 12 has four members alone in Texas, and two in Oklahoma and Kansas. The PAC-12 has four members in California, and two members in Arizona, Oregon and Washington.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a conference doubling-up (or tripling or quadrupling) in one state. The one concern the Big East may have (specifically, Georgetown, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Providence and Villanova) is that doubling up in Ohio would shift the focus of the conference from the east coast more towards the midwest. However, with the clear lack of viable candidates on the east coast, perhaps the schools compromise - if/when the conference decides to expand.
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby muskienick » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:05 am

augkash wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I always like Dayton until:

1) I met their online fanbase.
2) They heckled their HOF alumni Christie Mack making her cry at the game.

Anyway, if I were X. I would try to keep them out simply because they are so close geographically. We already have Butler pretty close and we are fighting them for recruits (Bluiett and Macura I believe.)

I don't get the whole "close geography is bad" thing. :?

I gues Xavier is not worried about Cincinnati Louisville or Kentucky in recruiting but Dayton omg we can't have them in league bc they will hurt our recruiting

The last time I checked, the Bearcat, Cardinal, and Wildcat fans were not flocking to this Board campaigning for their schools to be added to the Big East. That is one big difference. Another difference is the very nature of Xavier (small, private institution) versus the other three schools mentioned (huge state-supported Football schools). I don't see our G-town and Villanova fans on here clamoring for Maryland (or even GW) and Temple to be the next two schools invited to join the Big East.
muskienick

Postby Hoopfan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:40 pm

DudeAnon wrote:I don't see how the geography argument is hard to understand. Right now the BE elevates X to the biggest program in SW Ohio. It's natural to want to preserve that status. Dayton probably won't surpass X if they joined the BE but they definitely won't if they stay in A10.

Can we just agree that ohio state is #1 in ALL Ohio so this argument doesnt matter?
Hoopfan

Postby Hoopfan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:42 pm

muskienick wrote:
augkash wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:I always like Dayton until:

1) I met their online fanbase.
2) They heckled their HOF alumni Christie Mack making her cry at the game.

Anyway, if I were X. I would try to keep them out simply because they are so close geographically. We already have Butler pretty close and we are fighting them for recruits (Bluiett and Macura I believe.)

I don't get the whole "close geography is bad" thing. :?

I gues Xavier is not worried about Cincinnati Louisville or Kentucky in recruiting but Dayton omg we can't have them in league bc they will hurt our recruiting

The last time I checked, the Bearcat, Cardinal, and Wildcat fans were not flocking to this Board campaigning for their schools to be added to the Big East. That is one big difference. Another difference is the very nature of Xavier (small, private institution) versus the other three schools mentioned (huge state-supported Football schools). I don't see our G-town and Villanova fans on here clamoring for Maryland (or even GW) and Temple to be the next two schools invited to join the Big East.[/quote]

Last time i checked the fans on this board did not make the decisions. Flocking to campaign? Give me a break. This has turned i to UD vs X for no reason other than everyone wants to argue.
Hoopfan

Postby pki1998 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Hoopfan wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I don't see how the geography argument is hard to understand. Right now the BE elevates X to the biggest program in SW Ohio. It's natural to want to preserve that status. Dayton probably won't surpass X if they joined the BE but they definitely won't if they stay in A10.

Can we just agree that ohio state is #1 in ALL Ohio so this argument doesnt matter?

I can tell you that is not the case in the Cincinnati area. OSU doesn't have a string following in the area if you live on the north side of the river, it's all about UC and X. South of the river is all about UK. hell I know of more indiana and Louisville fans in the area than OSU basketball fans. My understanding is the dayton area is dominated by UD fans even the wright state grade I know are dayton fans.

The OSU is king might hold up in other areas but unless we are talking football it doesn't hold up in sw oh
Xavier
pki1998

Postby UD FAN » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:46 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:The B1G has two members in Illinois, Indiana and Michigan. The ACC has four members in North Carolina alone, not to mention two in Virginia and Florida. The Big 12 has four members alone in Texas, and two in Oklahoma and Kansas. The PAC-12 has four members in California, and two members in Arizona, Oregon and Washington.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a conference doubling-up (or tripling or quadrupling) in one state. The one concern the Big East may have (specifically, Georgetown, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Providence and Villanova) is that doubling up in Ohio would shift the focus of the conference from the east coast more towards the midwest. However, with the clear lack of viable candidates on the east coast, perhaps the schools compromise - if/when the conference decides to expand.

+1
UD FAN

Postby Ball Turret Gunner » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:02 pm

muskienick wrote:The last time I checked, the Bearcat, Cardinal, and Wildcat fans were not flocking to this Board campaigning for their schools to be added to the Big East.

Just for the record, not all UD fans are campaigning to be added to the New Big East, especially at this time.
Ball Turret Gunner

Postby BEX » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:29 pm

Why would they? With all the VCU defections, they should cruise to the title in a very weak A-10.
BEX

Postby Ball Turret Gunner » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:39 pm

BEX wrote:Why would they? With all the VCU defections, they should cruise to the title in a very weak A-10.

I don't know what the strength of the A10 will be next year, but my guess is that it will be stronger than last. I think that VCU will take a step or two back, but the league is filled with teams that go through cycles of being very tough, then fade some when a talented or large group of seniors leave. A six bid league two years ago. A three bid league last year. I'm guessing somewhere in-between next year. My concern is a lot less with a conference title. I would like to continue our NCAA tournament streak of success. UD is garnering a lot of national attention with their current formula. I would like to let it ride. Don't mess with success. Get into the tournament, and then win once you are there.
Ball Turret Gunner

Postby muskienick » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:02 pm

Ball Turret Gunner wrote:
muskienick wrote:The last time I checked, the Bearcat, Cardinal, and Wildcat fans were not flocking to this Board campaigning for their schools to be added to the Big East.

Just for the record, not all UD fans are campaigning to be added to the New Big East, especially at this time.

I am certain that you are correct, BTG. But if the invitation were to come, the Flyers would accept it in a New York second.

Except for Temple's unwise decision to leave the A-10 for the AAC, the A-10 Conference would have been a continued great place for my Muskies. It was a wonderful 18-year run for us and it helped to make Xavier what it is today. But it was a no-brainer decision to accept the Big East invitation. By doing so, I believe it is inevitable that the Muskies will use this step up in competition and respect to secure its place among the elite top 20-30 programs in College Basketball and joining Georgetown, Villanova, and Marquette among those at, or near, that level of renown.
muskienick

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board