Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference realignment discussion - v. 2015

Postby Xudash » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:11 pm

ohiohsbball wrote:I don't understand this whole move the needle conversation. I hate to say this but look at numbers. No one is watching the Big East on FS1. Its only been 2 years but if the BE stays at 10 and ratings don't improve is Fox going to she'll out that money in 10 years. Absolutely not. The point people are making about Dayton is people will watch. That will help at least a little. Xavier fans don't want to hear that but it's fact. Please stop talking Gonzaga and Uconn. If the BE expands those 2 schools are not options. Won't happen.

Not all Xavier fans. That's me taking my position.

We just finished the second year of a 12 year deal, so we don't know yet where the brand or the ratings are headed. What we do know is that the Big East as presently configured does not have the same kind of following and mix as it had at its zenith. We have work to do, but we have 10 solid programs, a great television deal, a strong front office, and an important MSG deal to drive this thing forward. Recruiting evidences a strong positive trend.

I agree with you that adjustments will probably have to be made at the end of the agreement if the performance isn't there. It is a mathematical fact that Dayton viewers would help a little. But that brings DeltaV's point back into play. Assuming "failure" - which I am a long way from considering at this point - what two programs would exist to kick start it at that point to such a degree that their inclusion is warranted at the margin?

The Presidents are going to drive it forward with 10. They'll watch what happens with football, if anything.

Any additions have to be strategic for the brand and accretive financially. At this point, There are no programs popping onto the radar from what's out there now that fits the bill.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:22 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
See you Monday Morning in the Fox Sports main office.

Well, let's make it an afternoon meeting. We're coming off Easter and I can't get to LA that quickly.

Early dinner on me at The South Beverly Grill. That's the least I can do.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Hoopfan » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:44 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:The Big East can't control the ratings of FS1. It is doing everything it needs to be doing in order for the product to grow. It has entertaining games, exciting personalities (both on air and on the sidelines) and big markets (New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, D.C., Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Cincinnati and Omaha). Most importantly, it has produced 10 teams in the tournament over the past two seasons.

While ratings would certainly be a point of emphasis for any expansion candidate(s), attendance of that school would be equally, if not more, important. Just like the fact that VCU has had a recent history of sustained success in basketball, it is also a fact that Dayton consistently sells out its games (over 200,000 people at UD games this year), has a big arena (13k) and travels extremely well. We need to make sure we keep selling the seats at MSG for the tournament. Dayton, like Creighton did last year, would be a big help in accomplishing that.

If the Big East is interested in VCU (and I would think there would at least be some internal discussion regarding their candidacy), they should wait a year or two and see how their program responds to losing Smart. In all likelihood, they continue the sustained success and competitiveness. However, they could still take major steps back if they hire the wrong coach.

I disagree with that. The BE needs teams to make runs in The tournament. X making it to S16 helps but losing most the teams the first weekend, no E8 or FF teams doesn't help with ratings the following year as much. But thats just my opinion. Maybe it has no correlation, i dont know.
Hoopfan

Postby Hoopfan » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:46 pm

Xudash wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:

Well, let's make it an afternoon meeting. We're coming off Easter and I can't get to LA that quickly.

I didnt know how to multi quote so two post. I agree with both sides here but laughed at your guys last two post. Dayton did have a good fan base for basketball. But to xU post, were these casual observers watching ALL of the "local" Ohio teams or were they actual Dayton fans? The only way I can imagine researching and comparing is pulling up other UD games throughout the year and comparing but I dont know where to even do that.
Hoopfan

Postby Butlerfan28 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Hoopfan wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:The Big East can't control the ratings of FS1. It is doing everything it needs to be doing in order for the product to grow. It has entertaining games, exciting personalities (both on air and on the sidelines) and big markets (New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, D.C., Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Cincinnati and Omaha). Most importantly, it has produced 10 teams in the tournament over the past two seasons.

While ratings would certainly be a point of emphasis for any expansion candidate(s), attendance of that school would be equally, if not more, important. Just like the fact that VCU has had a recent history of sustained success in basketball, it is also a fact that Dayton consistently sells out its games (over 200,000 people at UD games this year), has a big arena (13k) and travels extremely well. We need to make sure we keep selling the seats at MSG for the tournament. Dayton, like Creighton did last year, would be a big help in accomplishing that.

If the Big East is interested in VCU (and I would think there would at least be some internal discussion regarding their candidacy), they should wait a year or two and see how their program responds to losing Smart. In all likelihood, they continue the sustained success and competitiveness. However, they could still take major steps back if they hire the wrong coach.

I disagree with that. The BE needs teams to make runs in The tournament. X making it to S16 helps but losing most the teams the first weekend, no E8 or FF teams doesn't help with ratings the following year as much. But thats just my opinion. Maybe it has no correlation, i dont know.

Of course it has a correlation. People like to follow winners and like it or not people judge winners by who makes the Sweet Sixteen and the final four. The bottom 3 P5 teams have averaged two teams a year in the sweet sixteen since 2000 based on current membership. The Big 10 and ACC have averaged around 3 based on current membership. Currently we average about 1.3 a year based on our current membership. Part of increasing viewership is adding teams that have made the sweet sixteen multiple times in the 2000's. Those teams would be UConn, Gonzaga and Wichita State.
Butlerfan28

Postby BillikensWin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:01 pm

I don't know about most people, but I think Dash and Hoosier won the internet today.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby hoopstar » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:17 pm

These are all good arguments , but Val will have to move sooner than later. A Ten landscape is about to change again and they are all over Witchita State to join. Add them and The gap between the conferences closes.
hoopstar

Postby Hoyas » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:33 pm

I think 1 question- let's say for discussions sake the A10 picked up Wichita. That gets them to 15. Who would #16 be for them?
Hoyas

Postby Xudash » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:35 pm

Hoopfan wrote:
Xudash wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:

I didnt know how to multi quote so two post. I agree with both sides here but laughed at your guys last two post. Dayton did have a good fan base for basketball. But to xU post, were these casual observers watching ALL of the "local" Ohio teams or were they actual Dayton fans? The only way I can imagine researching and comparing is pulling up other UD games throughout the year and comparing but I dont know where to even do that.

I do not dispute the ESPN data. I don't dispute that Dayton the city and Dayton the school aren't passionate about college basketball.

What I am talking about is witnessing a reaction after watching someone walk in a DMA with fewer than 470k television homes in it, touting a 1.9 metered rating, as he offers all that up as strong proof for inclusion.

If all that is to take place in the context of which program should be #11 or #12 for expansion purposes and that the timing for expansion is now (why focus on this current data otherwise) and given that the primary dialogue would be around TELEVISION MARKETS/POTENTIAL/VIEWERSHIP, I personally see that resulting in a chuckle or two.

What two programs are going to add incrementally now or later that "save" the existing 10 of us from our existing ratings, or possibly poor ratings in the future?

The BE brand needs to have a chance to build as configured, unless some presently not obvious options pop to make the Presidents feel differently. Some of us speculate, reasonably or through hope or otherwise. Some of us hear things. Even if we hear things, stuff happens, so change is always possible. I'll grant anyone that.

This has ZERO to with UD or any other school, from the whatever it's worth department, the Big East is holding at 10 for at least the foreseeable future.

Carry on.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby HoosierPal » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:50 pm

Xudash wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:

I'll text Shanks tomorrow and see if we can delay the meeting until 1 PM. He's an early morning guy. If you can get to Indy tomorrow, you can ride out with me. And oh yeah, wear your sweater vest.
HoosierPal

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board