Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby HoosierPal » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:02 pm

MUPanther wrote:I thought Northwestern-Butler was a good rating. It was on the same time as something called the SEC Title Game.

I found this on the 12/12/2014 issue of Sports Media Watch. It's good to be first in something!! :lol:

◾FOX drew a subterranean 0.2 final rating and 340,000 viewers for last Saturday’s Northwestern/Butler college basketball game, likely the lowest rated and least-watched college basketball telecast ever on broadcast television. The Bulldogs’ win aired directly opposite the SEC football championship game on CBS (7.8, 12.8M) and was not the top college basketball game in its timeslot. (via Sports Business Daily)

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/12/even-more-ratings-jimmy-v-classic-cbb-on-fox-wcbb-on-espn/
HoosierPal

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUPanther » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:49 pm

Ya, I know i saw it when it came out. I disagree with his thought.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby HoosierPal » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:51 am

I watched the US MNT v Chile soccer match. Fox Sports 1 stubbed their toe on this one. First the 'technical difficulties' that wiped out the first 3 minutes of the game can't be repeated. Sure it happens but not on your first telecast of the year. Then for most of the game the crowd noise overwhelmed the announcers. You could hear Klingsman more than you could the announcers. That should have been controllable in 'the truck'. I expected a larger role for Alexi Lalas. He was one of four commentators pre game and at half. Let's hope they improve the product before their next attempt.
HoosierPal

Postby billyjack » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:42 am

HoosierPal wrote:I watched the US MNT v Chile soccer match. Fox Sports 1 stubbed their toe on this one. First the 'technical difficulties' that wiped out the first 3 minutes of the game can't be repeated. Sure it happens but not on your first telecast of the year. Then for most of the game the crowd noise overwhelmed the announcers. You could hear Klingsman more than you could the announcers. That should have been controllable in 'the truck'. I expected a larger role for Alexi Lalas. He was one of four commentators pre game and at half. Let's hope they improve the product before their next attempt.

Fox has been televising soccer in the US for at least 10-15 years, back in the days when ESPN was giving us "Magic the Gathering" tournaments. They had a channel devoted specifically to soccer, and did a excellent job with it... this was back in the day when an average American sports fan couldn't tell the difference between West Ham and West Brom. I have no concerns about their soccer coverage.
Providence
billyjack

Postby HoosierPal » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:03 pm

billyjack wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:I watched the US MNT v Chile soccer match. Fox Sports 1 stubbed their toe on this one. First the 'technical difficulties' that wiped out the first 3 minutes of the game can't be repeated. Sure it happens but not on your first telecast of the year. Then for most of the game the crowd noise overwhelmed the announcers. You could hear Klingsman more than you could the announcers. That should have been controllable in 'the truck'. I expected a larger role for Alexi Lalas. He was one of four commentators pre game and at half. Let's hope they improve the product before their next attempt.

I have no concerns about their soccer coverage.

I am very glad you have no concerns about FoxSports1 soccer coverage. It doesn't change the fact that it was bad last night.

Legit question, did you watch the match last night?
HoosierPal

Postby whiteandblue77 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:05 pm

I saw the match, had to: I lived in Chile, the Mrs. is Chilean and I'm a weekly soccer player... that said I can tell you that the soccer coverage in America is bad and probably always will be because the fans aren't there. Too many people like to fill their faces with nachos and beer watching the Cowboys and Broncos for 5 hours straight, spending their inheritances, paychecks or second mortgages to do it. Going to soccer matches in South America or Europe is completely awesome and the announcing and coverage follows that passion. Alexi Lalas is the most boring announcer in sports and he would never be allowed to comment on soccer anywhere but here, but he actually reflects the way most people born and raised in the U.S. feel towards the beautiful game. I was really excited about FS1 and thought they'd have more Big East games but I've been sadly disappointed. Creighton's Morrison Stadium (below) is one of the best in the country and I had high hopes seeing the games on FS1. Oh well, the sad part is Creighton's athletic department, when they provide video coverage of the game, puts the camera in the main grandstand (H.S. football style) so it looks like a crappy little venue on TV anyway. Ho hum.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby billyjack » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:13 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
billyjack wrote:

I have no concerns about their soccer coverage.

I am very glad you have no concerns about FoxSports1 soccer coverage. It doesn't change the fact that it was bad last night.

No, I didn't watch it. I'm going off many years of watching the old Fox Soccer channel. If FS1's telecast are eventually just a fraction of the quality of the old Fox Soccer Channel, then they'll be great.

ESPN soccer coverage is typically awful. Last summer I watched the Univision feed just to avoid ESPN's wet blanket announcers. I agree with 'whiteandblue77' that Lalas is dull in the booth.
Providence
billyjack

Postby HoosierPal » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:27 pm

billyjack wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:I am very glad you have no concerns about FoxSports1 soccer coverage. It doesn't change the fact that it was bad last night.

No, I didn't watch it. I'm going off many years of watching the old Fox Soccer channel. If FS1's telecast are eventually just a fraction of the quality of the old Fox Soccer Channel, then they'll be great.

ESPN soccer coverage is typically awful. Last summer I watched the Univision feed just to avoid ESPN's wet blanket announcers. I agree with 'whiteandblue77' that Lalas is dull in the booth.

Thank you for your honest answer. I, for one, truly enjoy Ian Darke and Tyler Twellman. My opinion is that they are the top announcing team in US soccer. No need for you to agree with me.
HoosierPal

Postby MUPanther » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:32 pm

Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby butlerguy03 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:46 pm

The only way to change this is to make our teams must-see TV. Make sure games like Villanova-Butler end up in good time slots on good networks on good days. Granted, Butler wasn't supposed to be the best, but....Valentine's night on CBS Sports Net? Geez. You're asking for nothing but Wildcats & Bulldogs diehards to watch. Everyone else will catch up on Sunday's SportsCenter...which will focus on the game for about 45 seconds.

At the beginning of the BE season, couldn't we have moved this game to Sunday on FOX? I know its a sell-out, but the TV audience will be pitiful for a top 25 matchup.

Another question, could CBS move this to the big network? Looks like local news and re-runs that night.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board