Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby Barley » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:31 pm

HoosierPal wrote:OK, I realize I will be blasted, but I find it humorous that people are rooting for a TV Network. I root for the Stock Market to go up and gas prices to go down. Following network ratings isn't on my list. I watch what I want to watch and don't give a darn what network it's on.

3,2,1 go........

There's an obvious benefit to the Big East if FS1 succeeds. For that reason I watch it more than espn. Simple as that.
Barley

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby HoosierPal » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:16 pm

Barley wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:OK, I realize I will be blasted, but I find it humorous that people are rooting for a TV Network. I root for the Stock Market to go up and gas prices to go down. Following network ratings isn't on my list. I watch what I want to watch and don't give a darn what network it's on.

3,2,1 go........

There's an obvious benefit to the Big East if FS1 succeeds. For that reason I watch it more than espn. Simple as that.

Good statement, but it isn't obvious to me. Does Butler get more money if the ratings go up? Does the contract $$ move with ratings?
HoosierPal

Postby NJRedman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:26 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
Barley wrote:

3,2,1 go........

Good statement, but it isn't obvious to me. Does Butler get more money if the ratings go up? Does the contract $$ move with ratings?

If the network succeeds and we become a top conference we will get more money when the contract is up. Either Fox gives us a bunch more to keep us from going to the open market or ESPN gives us a bunch of money to leave Fox. If Fox fails and it's just ESPN we will get low balled by espn and we will make less money. So yes, we root for Fox Sports 1 because it is good for us in the long run and yes it will be good for Butler in the long run.
NJRedman

Postby marquette » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:48 pm

Also, if the network succeeds, then more eyeballs are on our teams. More eyeballs means more recruits see us, more potential students catch one of our games, more awareness in general. It should be very helpful for any school that isn't named after a state.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby HoosierPal » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:44 pm

marquette wrote:Also, if the network succeeds, then more eyeballs are on our teams. More eyeballs means more recruits see us, more potential students catch one of our games, more awareness in general. It should be very helpful for any school that isn't named after a state.

Valid responses, but if Fox isn't around and TV still is, someone picks up the games. Most if not all of the games on all Major Conferences are on TV. Exposure is there no matter if it comes from CBS, ABC, ESPN or Fox or local affiliates.

And the contract, having 8.5 years to go, is far, far too far out for me to be worried about. The NCAA landscape that you see today won't look anything like this in 9 years. So I for one aren't going to worry about the next contract with Fox. [Who knows if cable will even be around a decade from now. Five years ago who was streaming games on their hand held device? What hasn't been invented yet that will be mainstream in a decade?]

Tonight I'm watching Alabama and Wichita. I could care less what station it is on.
HoosierPal

Postby NJRedman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:03 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
marquette wrote:Also, if the network succeeds, then more eyeballs are on our teams. More eyeballs means more recruits see us, more potential students catch one of our games, more awareness in general. It should be very helpful for any school that isn't named after a state.

Valid responses, but if Fox isn't around and TV still is, someone picks up the games. Most if not all of the games on all Major Conferences are on TV. Exposure is there no matter if it comes from CBS, ABC, ESPN or Fox or local affiliates.

And the contract, having 8.5 years to go, is far, far too far out for me to be worried about. The NCAA landscape that you see today won't look anything like this in 9 years. So I for one aren't going to worry about the next contract with Fox. [Who knows if cable will even be around a decade from now. Five years ago who was streaming games on their hand held device? What hasn't been invented yet that will be mainstream in a decade?]

Tonight I'm watching Alabama and Wichita. I could care less what station it is on.

Yes, it is a long way away and yes there will be someone broadcasting those games, the thing is the more LEGIT companies who are willing to pay us for our product the better off we will be. If there is a monopoly we will be low balled, Now you don't have to understand or agree with that but thats the truth.

Also as someone who works in television, TV isn't going anywhere. Especially live sports on TV. The device we watch on might change but the companies who actually create the content and tape the content will still be there and will still be charging for their services.
NJRedman

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:30 pm

NJRedman wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:

Yes, it is a long way away and yes there will be someone broadcasting those games, the thing is the more LEGIT companies who are willing to pay us for our product the better off we will be. If there is a monopoly we will be low balled, Now you don't have to understand or agree with that but thats the truth.

Also as someone who works in television, TV isn't going anywhere. Especially live sports on TV. The device we watch on might change but the companies who actually create the content and tape the content will still be there and will still be charging for their services.

Fox has a winner with the Big East in basketball. They could easily do an expose of the Football conference hoops teams showing how diminutive the Basketball programs are for 99% of the universities. Show the separation in the departments, the resentment, everyone knows it's there. ESPN has been systematically bashing FS1's major asset since our contract was signed, so I say it's time to start throwing punches back. Jay Wright could be the host.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:05 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:Fox has a winner with the Big East in basketball. They could easily do an expose of the Football conference hoops teams showing how diminutive the Basketball programs are for 99% of the universities. Show the separation in the departments, the resentment, everyone knows it's there. ESPN has been systematically bashing FS1's major asset since our contract was signed, so I say it's time to start throwing punches back. Jay Wright could be the host.

Problem is that Fox wants to acquire the rights to air those football conference hoops teams as well, so it doesn't make sense for them to bash them.

I guess the out there never going to happen concern with Fox having poor ratings would be them folding up shop and disappearing before the contract is up. Not sure what would happen then. In theory ESPN has made promises to the other conferences. Would there be room to scoop us up and air our games if Fox folded. Maybe NBC sports or CBS sports would be able to pick us up, as they have more filler programming.
hoyahooligan

Postby stever20 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:14 am

few points-
1- the contract has 10.5 years to go, not 8.5 years
2- tv isn't going anywhere. Especially sports on TV- which is the last bastion in a lot of ways of tv.
3- ESPN bashed us last year because we deserved to get bashed. We were awful, especially in November(22 losses). This year, when we've been successful, they've been very positive. And like what was said- Fox wants to get the football conferences as well for survival, so why would they bash them?

Bottom line- folks don't act like oh this game is on FS1 I have to watch that instead of a better game on ESPN. That's just not realistic. Like a week from Saturday- FS1 at noon has Maine @ Seton Hall. ESPN2 has Georgetown/Indiana. It's idiotic to act like it's screwing the conference by watching the Georgetown game on ESPN2 instead of the FS1 game.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:08 pm

HoosierPal wrote:

Your not watching Arizona State and Marquette. Where is your Big East pride. :D
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board