Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:00 pm

FlyJays wrote:I'll watch just about any sport. Literally almost anything. But it would be nearly impossible for me to become a fan of MMA/UFC. If UFC comes on, there is a 99% chance I'm changing the channel. And I know I'm not the only one. I have absolutely zero interest in watching two idiots knee each other in the head.

Exactly for a lot of folks.

And redman, all I said was that UFC is a niche sport. When 6 million viewers is your RECORD- that's a niche sport if there ever is one. At BEST it's equal to hockey. Given that FS1 has tied a lot to UFC just isn't that good. Also the crossover between UFC and other mainstream sports just isn't there. And spare me saying that UFC is a mainstream sport.

And look back what I said at first. That Oregon/Utah would get better ratings than the niche UFC. Oregon/Utah got a 1.9 rating for a late night game.

And to my point originally- it definitely was NOT a great ratings day for FS1.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby FlyJays » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:03 pm

marquette wrote:
FlyJays wrote:I'll watch just about any sport. Literally almost anything. But it would be nearly impossible for me to become a fan of MMA/UFC. If UFC comes on, there is a 99% chance I'm changing the channel. And I know I'm not the only one. I have absolutely zero interest in watching two idiots knee each other in the head.

You are entitled to that opinion. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not going to try to change your mind with concussion statistics or complexity of technique anecdotes. Everyone has the right to decide what they will and won't watch. There is a 99% chance that I turn off hockey, college football, NASCAR, and any baseball game that doesn't involve the Brewers. It just doesn't appeal to me. That doesn't mean there is no audience out there.

Totally legitimate. I'll never say there isn't a UFC audience out there. There appears to be a fairly significant one. I just think it has a limited ceiling relative to football, basketball, and, looking forward, soccer.
FlyJays

Postby NJRedman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:05 pm

stever20 wrote:

And redman, all I said was that UFC is a niche sport. When 6 million viewers is your RECORD- that's a niche sport if there ever is one. At BEST it's equal to hockey. Given that FS1 has tied a lot to UFC just isn't that good. Also the crossover between UFC and other mainstream sports just isn't there. And spare me saying that UFC is a mainstream sport.

And look back what I said at first. That Oregon/Utah would get better ratings than the niche UFC. Oregon/Utah got a 1.9 rating for a late night game.

Who cares?!?! FS1 needs the inventory, would you rather they air darts or the world series of poker, those are niche sports. Calling combat sports like MMA and boxing niche shows how uninformed and ignorant you are about sports. That's 6 million in PPV. How many people would pay $50-$60 to watch a college football game?
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:36 am

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Who cares?!?! FS1 needs the inventory, would you rather they air darts or the world series of poker, those are niche sports. Calling combat sports like MMA and boxing niche shows how uninformed and ignorant you are about sports. That's 6 million in PPV. How many people would pay $50-$60 to watch a college football game?

No actually it's 6 million in broadcast viewers. Think a normal PPV gets about a million.

MMA and Boxing aren't mainstream sports any longer. To have you call them mainstream is the ignorant statement.

And a whole hell of a lot of folks would pay $50-$60 to watch a college football game. But they don't have to because college football is mainstream. 17.5 million folks watched football on Saturday night on the 3 networks. And that's not counting bars and things like that.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:05 am

stever20 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:Exactly for a lot of folks.

No actually it's 6 million in broadcast viewers. Think a normal PPV gets about a million.

MMA and Boxing aren't mainstream sports any longer. To have you call them mainstream is the ignorant statement.

And a whole hell of a lot of folks would pay $50-$60 to watch a college football game. But they don't have to because college football is mainstream. 17.5 million folks watched football on Saturday night on the 3 networks. And that's not counting bars and things like that.

Stop comparing it to f-ing football and the world series! No one is saying it;s that popular! You just don;t understand what niche means. Niche doesn't get 6 million viewers. Niche is the world series of poker or curling. Thats niche! Strongman competitions, cross fit competitions, iron man competitions, darts, pool, bowling. Those are niche sports! Getting a million people to shell out $50-$60 for a PPV is not niche. It's not the world series or football, you know the super most popular, which no one is saying it is, but it sure as F isn't niche.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:08 am

Here is ESPN hiring another MMA analyst. I guess they don't think it's a niche sport that no one cares about or that the sport turns off soooooo many people.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/uf ... story.html
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:40 am

You do understand how many people there are? Getting 5-6 million tops means you still turn off a whole hell of a lot of people. Stop acting like UFC is mainstream because it just isn't. Hell, UFC's best is equal to the little league world series this past summer.

And heck, I think hockey is a niche sport. Really there are 3-4 mainstream sports. Football, Basketball, and Baseball for sure. Maybe soccer now. That's it.

And yes, I think for some folks, all the UFC on FS1 is a big turnoff. You bring up ESPN. How much boxing/MMA do they air? Not much at all. Do they cover it on sportscenter, etc. yes. But not anywhere near as much as FS1. There's a reason for that.
stever20

Postby Professor_Bulldog » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:42 pm

Thought I'd go ahead and bump this so its easier for steve to find and bitch about this weekends ratings.

Any who, I thought some people might be interested that Fox Sports Go has an option to sign up for a 2 hour limited trial view of all of their content. All you need to do is provide a name (I just used initials) and an email (I used a fake one) and you are good to go. You get a two hour time limit, but I was able to watch most of the Butler game today, which I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. Useful for those random games on regional FSN or FS2 (or FS1 if you don't have it).

It worked on both my android and windows 8 as well
Butler '13
Professor_Bulldog

Postby Jet915 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:04 pm

Professor_Bulldog wrote:Thought I'd go ahead and bump this so its easier for steve to find and bitch about this weekends ratings.

Any who, I thought some people might be interested that Fox Sports Go has an option to sign up for a 2 hour limited trial view of all of their content. All you need to do is provide a name (I just used initials) and an email (I used a fake one) and you are good to go. You get a two hour time limit, but I was able to watch most of the Butler game today, which I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. Useful for those random games on regional FSN or FS2 (or FS1 if you don't have it).

It worked on both my android and windows 8 as well

Did that yesterday with the Creighton game. Very impressed with the app and Fox made a great decision allowing you to see all the regional Fox games.
Jet915

Postby NJRedman » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:42 pm

stever20 wrote:You do understand how many people there are? Getting 5-6 million tops means you still turn off a whole hell of a lot of people. Stop acting like UFC is mainstream because it just isn't. Hell, UFC's best is equal to the little league world series this past summer.

And heck, I think hockey is a niche sport. Really there are 3-4 mainstream sports. Football, Basketball, and Baseball for sure. Maybe soccer now. That's it.

And yes, I think for some folks, all the UFC on FS1 is a big turnoff. You bring up ESPN. How much boxing/MMA do they air? Not much at all. Do they cover it on sportscenter, etc. yes. But not anywhere near as much as FS1. There's a reason for that.

Well clearly you know squat about sports if you think Hockey is a niche sport.

Also ESPN isn't airing MMA because Fox has the rights to the top MMA league UFC. Also they are busy airing the NBA, NFL, NCAA FB & BBall. They don't need MMA, Fox doesn't have any of that stuff so they do need MMA.

Just because you don't like MMA and just because it doesn't have a huge following doesn't mean it's a huge turnoff to people. I don't watch the NBA but that doesn't mean I avoid any channel that airs it's games. If a sports fan avoids a sports channel because they air a certain sport then they are incredibly stupid and sensitive.

You clearly have an axe to grind against FS1 and the Big East. The UFC being on the same channel as us is now your argument. This is what you've become. We're now screwed because FS1 airs UFC fights. God, this has just become pathetic.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board