Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby NJRedman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:40 pm

stever20 wrote:A whole lot more football fans than MMA/UFC fans. MMA/UFC is nothing but a niche sport. For a lot of folks- it's a complete turnoff- would never watch it in a million years.

Also not sure how long it went on Saturday(the UFC card)- but the Alabama/LSU game ended after midnight. Ohio St/Michigan ended late as well.

And right now this is the issue for fox at large.. Primetime ratings for the big games on Saturday...
Alabama/LSU got 8.41 million viewers
Ohio St/MIchigan St got 6.98 million viewers
Kansas St/TCU got 2.18 million viewers

So right there like over 17.5 million viewers for the college football games on the networks. Big 12 and Pac 12 really do not get great ratings at all- look at the numbers that the top 2 ranked teams got compared to the SEC and Big Ten.

Quit saying that it's a niche sport and that it turns many prople off. If it was airing on the lifetime network you would be correct, but it's not some huge turn off to sports fans. YOU don't like the UFC so YOU keep chitting on it to further YOUR narrative about our future and Fox Sports future.

Oh and the sport continues to grow world wide as many fans move away from boxing. The younger generations prefer MMA.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby marquette » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:13 pm

There are absolutely more football fans than MMA fans. However, there are more UFC fans than any one college football team. Most won't tune in for a garbage card like they had this weekend (Shogun is about 5 years past his prime, undercard filled with nobodies, OSP is a suspect contender with easily exploitable flaws at best). UFC has also been somewhat over-saturated recently. Fans are getting pretty choosy about what we tune in for. However, if they get it together and start putting on fewer shows with higher quality you will see higher ratings (not even championship fights, just bigger names or maybe any recognizable name).
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:31 pm

I actually do like UFC but know that for a lot of folks it's a complete non-starter. The all-time RECORD for UFC is 5.7 million viewers. At least 2 college football games beat that this weekend. UFC is not a mainstream sport, and likely will never be a mainstream sport.

I totally agree with you marquette on it being over-saturated recently. But has UFC shown any tendacy to change that? I think it may be in the fox contract for x # of shows. So, I don't know how much that is going to change going forward. Also got to remember while yeah, maybe the tv ratings aren't great- it still does draw great crowds. So, not sure how inclined UFC would be to go away from over-saturating things. The model does seem to be working.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:21 pm

FS1 ratings on Saturday
Baylor at Oklahoma 1.3
West Virginia at Texas 0.8
UCLA at Washington 0.5
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:24 pm

MUPanther wrote:FS1 ratings on Saturday
Baylor at Oklahoma 1.3
West Virginia at Texas 0.8
UCLA at Washington 0.5

Pretty predictable. Got bad luck it was such a blowout in the 1st game(although there was nothing good on early at all just about).
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:55 pm

stever20 wrote:I actually do like UFC but know that for a lot of folks it's a complete non-starter. The all-time RECORD for UFC is 5.7 million viewers. At least 2 college football games beat that this weekend. UFC is not a mainstream sport, and likely will never be a mainstream sport.

I totally agree with you marquette on it being over-saturated recently. But has UFC shown any tendacy to change that? I think it may be in the fox contract for x # of shows. So, I don't know how much that is going to change going forward. Also got to remember while yeah, maybe the tv ratings aren't great- it still does draw great crowds. So, not sure how inclined UFC would be to go away from over-saturating things. The model does seem to be working.

You keep saying that as if it's a fact. I know some people for which basketball, baseball or Hockey are complete non-starters. That doesn't mean sports networks shouldn't air those sports. This isn't the lifetime network, this is a full fledged sports network. ESPN airs boxing, is that a non-starter as well?
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:02 am

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:I actually do like UFC but know that for a lot of folks it's a complete non-starter. The all-time RECORD for UFC is 5.7 million viewers. At least 2 college football games beat that this weekend. UFC is not a mainstream sport, and likely will never be a mainstream sport.

You keep saying that as if it's a fact. I know some people for which basketball, baseball or Hockey are complete non-starters. That doesn't mean sports networks shouldn't air those sports. This isn't the lifetime network, this is a full fledged sports network. ESPN airs boxing, is that a non-starter as well?

Look at the ratings. The all-time best for UFC is 5.7 million viewers. World series averaged 13.8 million viewers as the 3rd worst World Series ever. So 3rd worst World series ever is 250% better than the best UFC event ever. doesn't that say something?

How many hours a week does ESPN air Boxing? I don't see any cards on their schedule in the next few weeks. FS1 has a problem because they need live events and they are in bed with UFC. ESPN may air at most 2-3 hours a week of boxing.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:16 pm

stever20 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

Look at the ratings. The all-time best for UFC is 5.7 million viewers. World series averaged 13.8 million viewers as the 3rd worst World Series ever. So 3rd worst World series ever is 250% better than the best UFC event ever. doesn't that say something?

How many hours a week does ESPN air Boxing? I don't see any cards on their schedule in the next few weeks. FS1 has a problem because they need live events and they are in bed with UFC. ESPN may air at most 2-3 hours a week of boxing.

Here you go moving the goal posts again. You're comparing UFCto the World Series, no one but you is doing that. I'm calling BS on you saying its s major turn off to most people. That's a BS opinion you're trying to pass off as fact. This isn't the Lifetime Network, it's a sports network. Most sports fans aren't turned off by the mere presence of the UFC like you imply. They may not watch but it's not something that keeps people away from the network.
NJRedman

Postby FlyJays » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:25 pm

I'll watch just about any sport. Literally almost anything. But it would be nearly impossible for me to become a fan of MMA/UFC. If UFC comes on, there is a 99% chance I'm changing the channel. And I know I'm not the only one. I have absolutely zero interest in watching two idiots knee each other in the head.
FlyJays

Postby marquette » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:57 pm

FlyJays wrote:I'll watch just about any sport. Literally almost anything. But it would be nearly impossible for me to become a fan of MMA/UFC. If UFC comes on, there is a 99% chance I'm changing the channel. And I know I'm not the only one. I have absolutely zero interest in watching two idiots knee each other in the head.

You are entitled to that opinion. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not going to try to change your mind with concussion statistics or complexity of technique anecdotes. Everyone has the right to decide what they will and won't watch. There is a 99% chance that I turn off hockey, college football, NASCAR, and any baseball game that doesn't involve the Brewers. It just doesn't appeal to me. That doesn't mean there is no audience out there.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board