Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby Professor_Bulldog » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:57 pm

For what its worth, I know comcast forces you to use a box (connecting the cable from wall to tv does nothing) not sure if that's where the industry is headed but they have FS1 on their basic package. But I'm sure it all comes down to how each company structures their tiers and whatnot
Butler '13
Professor_Bulldog

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Polyfro wrote:The hotel thing is a very real issue (I was out of town during the LCS and had to go down to the hotel bar to watch one of the games because FS1 wasn't available in the room). The other issue is on a lot of providers, such as Cox in Omaha, FS1 is only available with a digital box. People with the standard analog cable package can't get FS1 on Cox here; it's not so much a matter of not being able to find it as it is not having it at all. Further strengthening this thought is the fact that TBS is available on regular cable while FS1 is not.

Given baseball's demos, which skew older, I'd guess there's some potentially significant overlap between the people that only have regular analog cable and the people looking for a MLB playoff game. Something to consider.

I thought everyone had to switch to digital a couple years ago?
hoyahooligan

Postby stever20 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:53 pm

Just saw that one of the best things about FS1 is gone- Gabe Kapler(who had developed into maybe their best baseball guy) got hired by the Dodgers to work in their front office.

(on a similar note- another one of their better guys I think in Randy Moss- said that he would come out of retirement to play with Peyton Manning if offered. Moss has been the best new guy on FS1 for football by a mile... )
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:45 am

Solid lineup today on FS1! Baylor - Oklahoma, West Virginia-Texas and UCLA - Washington. Kansas State-TCU on Fox.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Did anyone just see it- at least for me the 1st commercial for the Big East basketball on FS1. Saying coming November 19th.
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:04 pm

MUPanther wrote:Solid lineup today on FS1! Baylor - Oklahoma, West Virginia-Texas and UCLA - Washington. Kansas State-TCU on Fox.

And Ufc fight night at the end. Should be a great ratings day for FS1. Anyone else see the Big East commercials calling us the "soul of college hoops," I think they are alright...
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Jet915 wrote:
MUPanther wrote:Solid lineup today on FS1! Baylor - Oklahoma, West Virginia-Texas and UCLA - Washington. Kansas State-TCU on Fox.

And Ufc fight night at the end. Should be a great ratings day for FS1. Anyone else see the Big East commercials calling us the "soul of college hoops," I think they are alright...

It won't be a great ratings day. Notre Dame/Arizona St will get great ratings, and then all of TCU/Kansas St, Ohio St/Michigan St, and Alabama/LSU will destroy UCLA/Washington. Then late night the Oregon/Utah game will get good ratings against the niche UFC.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:04 pm

I don't think he meant as those will be ratings winners, but should get around 600 to 900K.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby marquette » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:05 pm

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

It won't be a great ratings day. Notre Dame/Arizona St will get great ratings, and then all of TCU/Kansas St, Ohio St/Michigan St, and Alabama/LSU will destroy UCLA/Washington. Then late night the Oregon/Utah game will get good ratings against the niche UFC.

Speaking as a MMA/UFC fan, we don't generally give two sh*ts about football.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:00 am

A whole lot more football fans than MMA/UFC fans. MMA/UFC is nothing but a niche sport. For a lot of folks- it's a complete turnoff- would never watch it in a million years.

Also not sure how long it went on Saturday(the UFC card)- but the Alabama/LSU game ended after midnight. Ohio St/Michigan ended late as well.

And right now this is the issue for fox at large.. Primetime ratings for the big games on Saturday...
Alabama/LSU got 8.41 million viewers
Ohio St/MIchigan St got 6.98 million viewers
Kansas St/TCU got 2.18 million viewers

So right there like over 17.5 million viewers for the college football games on the networks. Big 12 and Pac 12 really do not get great ratings at all- look at the numbers that the top 2 ranked teams got compared to the SEC and Big Ten.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board