Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:23 pm

MUPanther wrote:
stever20 wrote:I think the question would be how much volume there actually was in folks calling MLB. It's not really the Giants/Cards not moving the needle, it's that folks that want to watch the game not being able to find it.

The question is could MLB force Fox to air the LCS on Fox network next year. It sounds like that could be possible.

We need to stop feeding into the stupid. FS1 is in over 90 million home. It's not you think of TBS when it comes to baseball.

The thing was there obviously is an issue there. Look at what Selig said. He said the FS1 thing is something we're going to have to review in the offseason. it's not a blank we have no problem with FS1.

Also, part of the problem for FS1 is that they aren't in even all the hotels. I know I was in a hotel this summer somewhere and there was no FS1 at all.

And the thing is- if your partner is inferring there is a problem- than how is saying anything about it feeding into the stupid? Selig himself said when asked about the distribution- Look, I understand that and it's something that we'll take a look at.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:27 pm

Professor_Bulldog wrote:WatchESPN wasn't provided by many companies when it first started. Given time more will sign up for fox's app

WatchESPN still isn't universal at all I think. I know DISH just got it a few months ago.
stever20

Postby Bluejay » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:48 pm

stever20 wrote:
MUPanther wrote:
stever20 wrote:I think the question would be how much volume there actually was in folks calling MLB. It's not really the Giants/Cards not moving the needle, it's that folks that want to watch the game not being able to find it.

The question is could MLB force Fox to air the LCS on Fox network next year. It sounds like that could be possible.

We need to stop feeding into the stupid. FS1 is in over 90 million home. It's not you think of TBS when it comes to baseball.

The thing was there obviously is an issue there. Look at what Selig said. He said the FS1 thing is something we're going to have to review in the offseason. it's not a blank we have no problem with FS1.

Also, part of the problem for FS1 is that they aren't in even all the hotels. I know I was in a hotel this summer somewhere and there was no FS1 at all.

And the thing is- if your partner is inferring there is a problem- than how is saying anything about it feeding into the stupid? Selig himself said when asked about the distribution- Look, I understand that and it's something that we'll take a look at.

Newsflash - outside of game 7, the games on the main FOX network had shitty ratings too. In fact, I read the other day that rather than MLB forcing FOX to carry all the games on the main FOX network, FOX was posturing for a potential future move of World Series games to FS1 because they are losing too much money carrying them on FOX. I know some like to say FOX overpaid for the Big East, but they severely overpaid for MLB.

I know that this may come as a shock to many in the northeastern part of the country where baseball is still widely viewed and enjoyed, but for the most part, the remainder of the country isn't really that interested in MLB outside of their local team (if they even care enough to watch the local team). Random college football games featuring unranked teams draw better ratings than MLB playoff games.
Bluejay

Postby stever20 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:58 pm

actually the series as a whole didn't do that badly. For one in the young 18-49 demographic- got a 3.7 rating(20% better than Fox normally gets). Zap 2 It said that it had as much impact on Fox as a top 10 show would(over 25 hours).

I wonder if Fox was posturing like that knowing that MLB is going to pressure them to get the LCS off of FS1.
stever20

Postby FlyJays » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:17 pm

^
THIS. I follow sports as close or more closely than almost anybody I know. And outside of a few local games during the regular season that I'll have on as background noise (maybe 2 or 3) and a handful of random playoff games, I'm just not interested in MLB. The game is too slow, the season is too long, and the league is stale. This coming from someone who played baseball as a kid. I'm much more likely to turn on an MLS game than I am an MLB game at this point (the growth of MLS is an entirely different topic) Baseball is similar to hockey, in that there are very small pockets of the country that follow the sport (mostly in the northeast/great lakes) but largely speaking, the country just isn't interested in it like they are football and basketball.

Unless FS1 gets some legitimate football or basketball rights to supplement the Big East, the network isn't going to make waves. Baseball and UFC don't cut it.
FlyJays

Postby stever20 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:28 pm

FlyJays wrote:^
THIS. I follow sports as close or more closely than almost anybody I know. And outside of a few local games during the regular season that I'll have on as background noise (maybe 2 or 3) and a handful of random playoff games, I'm just not interested in MLB. The game is too slow, the season is too long, and the league is stale. This coming from someone who played baseball as a kid. I'm much more likely to turn on an MLS game than I am an MLB game at this point (the growth of MLS is an entirely different topic) Baseball is similar to hockey, in that there are very small pockets of the country that follow the sport (mostly in the northeast/great lakes) but largely speaking, the country just isn't interested in it like they are football and basketball.

Unless FS1 gets some legitimate football or basketball rights to supplement the Big East, the network isn't going to make waves. Baseball and UFC don't cut it.

Totally agree. Especially with the UFC- I think if anything that's more of a turnoff than almost everything else. MLB still gets decent ratings.

I'm not even so sure if Fox got Big Ten split(they aren't going to totally leave ESPN)- that FS1 would get good enough football rights to be great. I mean ESPN is showing this weekend-
Iowa/Minnesota
Wisconsin/Purdue
Michigan/Northwestern

(you say you didn't list Ohio St/Michigan St- that game would NEVER be on FS1.)

FS1 would likely get 1 of those 3 games that I listed. How is that much better than what they have now?

Basketball yeah, it's great. But basketball just doesn't drive the ratings that football does.
stever20

Postby FormulaX » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:37 pm

C'mon, they just got through year 1. Now, what if the Cubs get to the World Series? Maybe, years from now, the BE will be to CBB, what the Premier League is to soccer. I tell people I'm a Man City fan. I don't even now a thing about them.
FormulaX

Postby FlyJays » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:44 pm

FormulaX wrote:

C'mon, they just got through year 1. Now, what if the Cubs get to the World Series? Maybe, years from now, the BE will be to CBB, what the Premier League is to soccer. I tell people I'm a Man City fan. I don't even now a thing about them.

Hmm? If the Cubs got to the world series, I still wouldn't care about baseball, and neither would the majority of the country.
FlyJays

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Bluejay wrote:I know that this may come as a shock to many in the northeastern part of the country where baseball is still widely viewed and enjoyed, but for the most part, the remainder of the country isn't really that interested in MLB outside of their local team (if they even care enough to watch the local team). Random college football games featuring unranked teams draw better ratings than MLB playoff games.

A shock? I'm not sure what part of the northeast your referring to but unless the Yanks or Mets are in the playoffs, NY, NJ and CT aren't watching and unless the Phils are in it, Philly, South Jersey and DE does not tune into it either. Wash/DC had the O's and the Nats but I doubt if they missed this year that they would be watching. Not sure about Boston... but the rest of the Northeast, by and large, acts the same as you good folks in the midwest.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby MUPanther » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:01 pm

stever20 wrote:
MUPanther wrote:

You missed my whole point. I'm talking about the viewers, not uncle Bud. Giants and Cards don't turn the needle. If viewers wanted to find it they would. People have viewers guide on their box to find the channel.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board